What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centres: are they done?

T-Boon

Coach
Get rid of centres and have two "gap backs".
Their job is to communicate with the passing backs to determine where the gaps are tending to appear and then run at those gaps. The centre position is now just played by the decoys otherwise known as the edge forwards.
The fullback should be called all purpose back because he can pass or run at gaps.

gunpk

Juniors
Centre seems like a position most players can fill into these days.
Last good footballing centre I can think of was Jamie Lyon.
Made guys like wolfman play Origin and for Australia

T-Boon

Coach

Yeah hate him but he was a good footballer. Pretty average at hit ups etc but in terms of all the necessary centre skills from when that was an actual position he was totally reliable.
How would he go now in the no holes era?

David brown

Juniors
I don't know... Greg Inglis wasn't bad in his prime.... Pea brain Hodges went alright...

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
The best centres make up their lack of some skills by being smart with the ones they do have.

Paul bowman would struggle to beat a few current props over 40m and 100m but was one of the best defensive centres of all time and made an awesome combo with his winger.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't know... Greg Inglis wasn't bad in his prime.... Pea brain Hodges went alright...

They are both just edge forwards like Mal Meningera. I am talking the Steve Ella, Steve Renouf, Owen Craig type centres with old school centre skills like hit a gap, turning an outside defender inside out, chip kicking to himself, drawing and passing
I am also talking about how there just aren't any holes anymore at least not any outside of the passing backs.

Barkley

Bench
That guy from my team is easily the best centre in the comp. My Nambibian friend will fight anyone at the Aquarium who disagrees.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Get rid of centres and have two "gap backs".
Their job is to communicate with the passing backs to determine where the gaps are tending to appear and then run at those gaps. The centre position is now just played by the decoys otherwise known as the edge forwards.

or we could just keep calling them centres?

A hooker doesn't hook

and what the hell does five-eighth mean anyway

Latest posts