What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury update

Kev07

Juniors
Genetics play a part to a point but with proper diet and training anyone can put on the 5kg - 10kg he would need in a relatively short amount of time.
It's the stripping of size that is the hardest not adding size.
And having to constantly put size on then take it off is hard on the body.
Genetically May is half Samoan so naturally big

OldPanther

Coach

surprised he doesn't have better definition. Some good weights and eating you'd think he'd look like Cleary and Mansour. Wonder if the ACL wrecked his gym time. I can think of a lot of my workout which I couldn't do if My knee was like that.

Kev07

Juniors
surprised he doesn't have better definition. Some good weights and eating you'd think he'd look like Cleary and Mansour. Wonder if the ACL wrecked his gym time. I can think of a lot of my workout which I couldn't do if My knee was like that.
Jake Trbojevic comes to mind doesn't look like a athletic specimen but hands down one of the fittest in the game.
May played lock as a Junior Kangaroo in 2016 and in same year named Five-Eight of the year in NYC.
Adding then taking weight off all year must take a toll on the body

OldPanther

Coach
Jake Trbojevic comes to mind doesn't look like a athletic specimen but hands down one of the fittest in the game.
May played lock as a Junior Kangaroo in 2016 and in same year named Five-Eight of the year in NYC.

It certainly would. Might have even contributed to the injury.

tripster

Juniors

Again, genetics also plays a big role. Merrin is another good example. Even when he was sporting a muffin top, he could still play 80 minutes of footy in the forwards, unlike plenty of other forwards who would appear much leaner. Clearly his fitness is incredible, but take off his shirt and he’d look big but not defined.

On the gaining of size , once you have been training hard with weights for a few years, as even the youngest players have, it becomes harder and harder to gain size (absent taking steroids).

Losing a few kilos of lean muscle is easy - simply keep your exercise regime the same but eat less. It is also quite easy to gain it back once you have been big (various theories abound about muscle memory and stretched fascia etc).

tripster

Juniors

Stripping fat while maintaining lean muscle is hard. Stripping size itself isn’t difficult. Simply eat less and maintain the same level of activity and you’ll lose weight.

Kev07

Juniors
Again, genetics also plays a big role. Merrin is another good example. Even when he was sporting a muffin top, he could still play 80 minutes of footy in the forwards, unlike plenty of other forwards who would appear much leaner. Clearly his fitness is incredible, but take off his shirt and he’d look big but not defined.

On the gaining of size , once you have been training hard with weights for a few years, as even the youngest players have, it becomes harder and harder to gain size (absent taking steroids).

Losing a few kilos of lean muscle is easy - simply keep your exercise regime the same but eat less. It is also quite easy to gain it back once you have been big (various theories abound about muscle memory and stretched fascia etc).

True but each position is different to endurance,explosion,strength etc.
They'd definately alter training on position played.

unKwn

Juniors
you guys seen the 7 news interview of mansour? poor guy had a chance of going blind in that one eye. worth a watch

franklin2323

Immortal

When injured either go too big or lose weight. Easy enough to throw on 5kgs within a couple of weeks

Pomoz

Bench
People here said he's put on weight. No, Cleary put on 5 kg of lean weight and it shows. May looks like an average body.
Oldpanther you must be in some sort of shape if you reckon that's average.

Also I would like to point out that it takes all sorts of body shapes to play footy. Cameron Smith wouldn't look out of place in a "Before" ad for Fitness First and he seems to go alright.

If you look a bit closer (my missus sure did!), May has big legs. The power comes from the legs, core and butt. He will go ok.

OldPanther

Coach
Oldpanther you must be in some sort of shape if you reckon that's average.

Also I would like to point out that it takes all sorts of body shapes to play footy. Cameron Smith wouldn't look out of place in a "Before" ad for Fitness First and he seems to go alright.

If you look a bit closer (my missus sure did!), May has big legs. The power comes from the legs, core and butt. He will go ok.

I've never doubted him. Kids going to be a star and I'm happy he's ours. I have better definition and size after a couple of months and I was eating at a deficit and lost 10kg. May definitely has an average but fit body. He looks like he doesn't lift at all. Not insulting the bloke he seems very strong naturally(we've all seen the running game. He has explosive power and can also go toe to toe with bigger players, Canberra last year scored through a couple of props) so It'd be crazy to think what he'd be like if he had a good off season. I'd bet he's got a good genetic base to build on based on what we've seen.

Smith is a weird one. He doesn't even seem to have the natural strength of May/Cleary or the speed of someone like Blake, Carr, Roberts. The bloke is just all hard work and technique with some grub thrown in.

Kev07

Juniors
I've never doubted him. Kids going to be a star and I'm happy he's ours. I have better definition and size after a couple of months and I was eating at a deficit and lost 10kg. May definitely has an average but fit body. He looks like he doesn't lift at all. Not insulting the bloke he seems very strong naturally(we've all seen the running game. He has explosive power and can also go toe to toe with bigger players, Canberra last year scored through a couple of props) so It'd be crazy to think what he'd be like if he had a good off season. I'd bet he's got a good genetic base to build on based on what we've seen.

Smith is a weird one. He doesn't even seem to have the natural strength of May/Cleary or the speed of someone like Blake, Carr, Roberts. The bloke is just all hard work and technique with some grub thrown in.
And Smith's been doing it for years at such an elite level is a testimony to his fitness and how well he looks after his body.

Frankus

Juniors
Genetics play a part to a point but with proper diet and training anyone can put on the 5kg - 10kg he would need in a relatively short amount of time.
5-10kg of lean muscle is a decent amount of weight to put on. Probably 6 months minimum. If he was on the Clen, maybe 2 months.

Simply putting on 5-10kg is easy.

Last edited:

Latest posts