What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 10 vs Cowboys @ Leichhardt Oval

Who will win? Round 10: Wests Tigers v Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
a team in form
agree Front-rower, we were lucky because they are very much out of form. But we have played some serious contenders and performed exceptionally well and we got away by beating an out of form team. We typically lose those games e.g. Knights in past few years, Parramatta this year.

Vozzy

Juniors
Didn't Braith Anasta call Leichhardt Brookvale last night. I think all records of that drop kick as a Wests tiger should be removed what a flog. It's not even called Brookvale anymore either. No true fan of any Sydney club but especially Wests tigers would make a mistake like that

Tiger05

First Grade
I don’t think we were scrappy, we got disallowed a fair try and our goal kicking was atrocious

Added to that, Cowboys scored 2 of the arsiest tries you’ll ever see. Our defense and attack was awesome

From what I saw, we were atleast a 20+ Point better team. It’s a shame the scoreboard didn’t indicate that

Same here. I think we were extremely unlucky with the bounce of the ball and they were extremely lucky. We were a much better team than them.

super_coach

First Grade
Our dominance was not rewarded by the refs. In fact I thought the refs spent most of the game trying to keep the Cows in the contest. Most dominant teams playing at home get the 50/50 calls, we could not even get the obvious ones.

In regards to McQueen, having a look at NSW Cup stats it's hard to get a true picture on how he is going, naturally. The following shows the stats for backrowers but in regards to 2nd row, is 1 a defensive backrower, 1 a wide running? Who they played and score, was Drinkwater playing (because he ran the show prior to his departure.

Round 9 24 - 12 loss to Dragons
Sironen 80 minutes, 36 tackles, 6 missed tackles, 8 runs - 62 metres
Garner 80 minutes, 28 tackles, 2 missed tackles, 10 runs - 95 metres
Felise 50 minutes, 26 tackles, 1 missed tackle, 8 runs, 75 metres

Round 8 26 - 6 loss to Wenty, no more Drinkwater
McQueen 80 minutes, 19 tackles, 6 missed tackles, 16 runs, 116 metres
Garner 80 minutes, 50 tackles, 6 missed tackles, 4 runs - 50 metres
Siolo 64 minutes, 45 tackles, 4 missed tackles, 10 runs - 78 metres

Round 7 24 - 20 win v Knights - Drinkwater played
McIntyre 60 minutes, 25 tackles, 0 missed tackles, 7 runs, 49 metres
Garner 80 minutes, 55 tackles, 3 missed tackles, 8 runs - 80 metres
Siolo 50 minutes, 23 tackles, 1 missed tackle, 10 runs - 108 metres

Round 6 25 - 24 loss to Bears - Drinkwater played
McQueen 80 minutes, 31 tackles, 2 missed tackles, 9 runs, 92 metres
Garner 65 minutes, 31 tackles, 3 missed tackles, 5 runs - 48 metres
Siolo 46 minutes, 25 tackles, 1 missed tackle, 8 runs - 88 metres

Round 5 32 - 0 win v Warriors, Drinkwater played
McQueen 80 minutes, 18 tackles, 2 missed tackles, 7 runs, 53 metres
Garner 62 minutes, 20 tackles, 2 missed tackles, 10 runs - 73 metres
Siolo 40 minutes, 21 tackles, 1 missed tackle, 5 runs - 32 metres

I have no idea what to make of any of that, didn't include effective tackles, tackle busts, offloads etc. You really have to watch the game closely to see how McQueen was and is going.

Clifferd

Coach
Our dominance was not rewarded by the refs. In fact I thought the refs spent most of the game trying to keep the Cows in the contest. Most dominant teams playing at home get the 50/50 calls, we could not even get the obvious ones.

Refs once again tried to bend us over and f**k us in the ass. I know we won, but if I was Cleary I’d be having a word to the Referees boss/NRL. We seem to get awful calls against us every week

Granville was Cameron Smith v2 out there last night. But as soon as we throw a flat pass it gets pulled up. The obvious Coote knock on, etc...I could go on

Just don’t want it to screw our season

Vic Mackey

Referee
Refs once again tried to bend us over and f**k us in the ass. I know we won, but if I was Cleary I’d be having a word to the Referees boss/NRL. We seem to get awful calls against us every week

Granville was Cameron Smith v2 out there last night. But as soon as we throw a flat pass it gets pulled up. The obvious Coote knock on, etc...I could go on

Just don’t want it to screw our season

4 weeks in a row we've been getting the dud calls. hopefully that starts to change

Front-Rower

First Grade
Last night the officiating was a shambles.

Outside of the strip on Fonua just out of the ingoal we didn’t really get a break all night. Numerous blocks on our chasers got let go, the obstruction where Morgan took an advantage to run near the goal line, the penalty against Lawerence’s “leg pull”, forward passes out of dummy half, the Coote knock on not resulting in 6 more.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Brisbane, Parra and knights we got awful calls against us which probably contributed to us losing. Warriors too but I can accept we got totally outplayed in that one
This is what’s annoying me to no end.We r constantly clearly getting fkd over by the shitbag refs .What about the storm match in the 2nd half in melb where the penalty count was outrageously favourable to the cheats(9-0 or 9-1).Additionally how often this season have we been on receiving end of 5th tackle penalties & most of them don’t warrant a penalty.

If the refs were competent & impartial I’d b extremely confident of making the 8.

super_coach

First Grade
You are always going to get dud calls but the guy last night has a real attitude problem, its like he enjoys picking on one team. Blokes like Badger have some real bad days but they don't seem to ref one team and let the other one get away with blue murder. Last night was more about what he let the Cows got away with rather than what he pinned us for.

Anyway they keep telling us it all evens up over the length of the season, so with that in mind we are in for some really good days ahead

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I still think that the no-try to the cowboys would’ve been scored by a team in form. That play was so slow and telegraphed and Winterstein still got on the outside of Noffa. Things like that change games and I believe we were so lucky they didn’t score otherwise we more than likely get beat.
Yeah, that was a real let off, I thought for sure he had scored. Hopefully that win gives us some confidence and with Packer back they start playing with more structure, like in the early games. I like Noffa but is a constant weak link in defence.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
I think one issue is that refs don't want to be seen as influenced by the crowd. At a place like Leichhardt it can work against you. When the crowd is baying for a penalty they are almost determined to not give them no matter how obvious.The amount of forward passes let go last night was unbelievable. It was like we were playing the Dallas Cowboys instead of the NQ Cowboys.

For me the team looks way better with Liddle at Hooker, he is sharp, puts the pass out in front of the bloke running on to the ball and most importantly he keeps the markers honest, we dont have anyone else in the club capable of this. He is still only 21 and not ready for week in week out NRL but I expect him to be a key in years to come.

I really hope goalkicking doesnt cost us. Essan is a good kid and probably doesn't need the pressure of kicking. Its almost worth giving Tui a run somewhere just to kick.

Finally Nofu, why is it, whoever he defends with, it looks like they have just met 5 minutes before the game? I love the bloke for the loyalty he showed us last year when he could have easily walked away, but jeez mate, your not that fast. Stop giving your opposite number such a head start.

The game was closer than it should have been, but the bounce of the ball certainly didn't go our way tonight. They got 2 tries off great bounces, we had a couple go begging for the same reason. Combine that with a few final balls that missed the mark and Marsters' poor kicking, that could have been a dust up. Happy we managed to grind out the win though, previous years we would have bottled that one.

Tigerm

First Grade
I really hope goalkicking doesnt cost us. Essan is a good kid and probably doesn't need the pressure of kicking. Its almost worth giving Tui a run somewhere just to kick.
To be fair to Marsters, he had previously kicked 20 odd goals in a row, though agree he needs to keep practicing.
Finally just watched the replay, I really want to see what Reynolds gives us. Exciting times. Got a tough 5 weeks ahead.