What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann Vs Aitken, who deserves the starting centre role?

Who deserves the starting centre role?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watatank

Coach
But is Mann worth blocking the pathway of Lomax?

Kurt Mann is like Ben Hampton at the Cowboys at the moment (who coincidentally came through with him for junior QLD rep teams). He can play a few positions, will be able to step into any role if you need him but not able to do anything at a particularly high level. I guess like Hampton that is his role. Being able to play dummy half would have to be the next step.

Aitken is limited but he is also very good at what he does. He needs to work on his passing but people go on about this aspect of his game way too much, even the commentators. It's not as important as it used to be. Defence is also improving.

Como Connection

First Grade
Good read ^^^ such a humble kid. I know i am at one end of the Mann support spectrum (side by side with Como) and there are many with opposing views, but i can only wonder where this kid would be today if he was given the time to develop with a regular starting gig in a fixed position over the last couple of years.

We have seen the way Aitkin, Lafai, Mcdonald et al have all come along with regular game time in a fixed position under a consistent structure and i have no doubt this kid could be better than all of them if he was with a team that required a full time outside back rather than a Mr Fixit from the bench. He may never get to realise his true potential due to his own versatility and that is such a shame.
Hola D09 from Barcelona.
Two days left in our six week trip.
I have missed seeing all our games bar the Anzac one in this period, Kurt as we all know has been stuffed around since day one, however playing in his present role will increase his football ability and value as a opposed to playing on the win.
Lets form a Kurt Mann fan club!
Will post of today's purchase now.
Adios CC

possm

Coach
Aitken is one performance away from starting SOO I - to say that MANN should be preferred over him is ludicrous to say the least.. MANN isn't an arseholes centre, he actually doesnt know what he is now he's played so many positions.. IMO should be a winger and replacing the slowest winger in the world today -NIGHTINGALE!
Aitken has some good skills and is very effective when running towards the try-line, stepping players, crshing though players and scoring some exciting tries. However, Aitken has a problem with reads in defence. Sometimes he is able to cut off a potential backline raid and more often comes up with thin air. He also has a very poor passing game and his first instinct is to run the ball rather than pass to his winger or fullback in support.

Because of the above, I believe Aitken would be a great replacement for Mann on the bench as his strong running, good footwork and determination would make him an ideal addition to the backrow rotation. Aitken's crashing defence with some work could be just as effective as that of Sims and De Belin.

There needs to be significant changes to our defensive structure on the right edge. We also need increased speed at right wing. So in my opinion an Aitken/Mann switch and the promotion of Lomax to the right wing would be a significant improvement and a strong measure to solve our right edge problems.

Drag Queen

Bench
Hola D09 from Barcelona.
I have missed seeing all our games bar the Anzac one in this period, Kurt as we all know has been stuffed around since day one, however playing in his present role will increase his football ability and value as a opposed to playing on the win.
Adios CC
Half your luck CC. I have a kid who is leaving Barcelona today. Heading off to Seville for some Yoga retreat. I am also a Mann fan:). He's a gutsy player.
Hola D09 from Barcelona.
Adios CC

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Jesus Christ on a bike, some of you lot are f**king clueless.

Aitken has had a couple of bad reads in defence this year alone, which is a vast improvement on his couple of bad reads a game from years past. He has changed his approach in defence and is improving by the week. Are people forgetting when he got under Dugan's ribs and spectacularly put him over the sideline? I've also seen Hunt rush out of the line more often than not and leave his centre and winger stranded, I don't see anybody talking about that? And shouldn't the fact that Euan is getting a lot better at the defensive side of his game tell you that he's worth keeping in the side?

Mann is a good player and provides us with a point of difference in attack. He offers far more utility value than Aitken off the bench, which is why he's there. Euan is a strike weapon and to drop a player who is in Origin contention to reserve grade is lunacy.

possm

Coach
Jesus Christ on a bike, some of you lot are f**king clueless.

Aitken has had a couple of bad reads in defence this year alone, which is a vast improvement on his couple of bad reads a game from years past. He has changed his approach in defence and is improving by the week. Are people forgetting when he got under Dugan's ribs and spectacularly put him over the sideline? I've also seen Hunt rush out of the line more often than not and leave his centre and winger stranded, I don't see anybody talking about that? And shouldn't the fact that Euan is getting a lot better at the defensive side of his game tell you that he's worth keeping in the side?

Mann is a good player and provides us with a point of difference in attack. He offers far more utility value than Aitken off the bench, which is why he's there. Euan is a strike weapon and to drop a player who is in Origin contention to reserve grade is lunacy.
I had the feeling that our right edge problem starts with Aitken's decision making. Sure now and then Frizell or Hunt miss a tackle but surely Nightingale moves even further way from his sideline to fill a gap left by Aitken. If Nightingale was out near the sideline marking his winger, I'm sure he would successfully shut down his opposite winger.

Life's Good

Coach
But is Mann worth blocking the pathway of Lomax?

Kurt Mann is like Ben Hampton at the Cowboys at the moment (who coincidentally came through with him for junior QLD rep teams). He can play a few positions, will be able to step into any role if you need him but not able to do anything at a particularly high level. I guess like Hampton that is his role. Being able to play dummy half would have to be the next step.

Aitken is limited but he is also very good at what he does. He needs to work on his passing but people go on about this aspect of his game way too much, even the commentators. It's not as important as it used to be. Defence is also improving.

I haven’t kept up with this thread but your question about Mann blocking Lomax to me is more about Nighty being the blocker(as much as it pains me to say it). I think Lomax could start on the wing with Mann continuing to play that dynamic, utility role off the bench.

Crush

Coach
Mann is doing a great job as utility.
Aitken is doing an outstanding job as centre.
SGI are leading the comp and 8/1.
I say don't change a single thing about this team.
Nothing.

possm

Coach
Mann is doing a great job as utility.
Aitken is doing an outstanding job as centre.
SGI are leading the comp and 8/1.
I say don't change a single thing about this team.
Nothing.
A good business contuse to look to improve and so should SGI.

watatank

Coach
I haven’t kept up with this thread but your question about Mann blocking Lomax to me is more about Nighty being the blocker(as much as it pains me to say it). I think Lomax could start on the wing with Mann continuing to play that dynamic, utility role off the bench.

It was continuing from the previous post which is on another page but that's kinda my point. If Lomax was playing wing instead of Nightingale we probably wouldn't be discussing Mann playing on the wing. Much like no one is really discussing Mann playing centre now Aitken has hit form.

possm

Coach
It was continuing from the previous post which is on another page but that's kinda my point. If Lomax was playing wing instead of Nightingale we probably wouldn't be discussing Mann playing on the wing. Much like no one is really discussing Mann playing centre now Aitken has hit form.

It depends, if Lomax is caught 10m - 15m in-field then the discussion will all be about Aitken or the game plan. However, if Lomax defends well on the right wing, then the discussion will be about Nightingale.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Anyway .. on the original poll ...
Mann in the pre season and the end of last season deserved to start in my opinion .. Mary went the other way and it has worked well. Kudos to Aitken for the massive improvement in his game.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Hola D09 from Barcelona.
Adios CC

Hey mate, shame the trip has to end as you seem to be having a blast. Yes, i agree, i'd rather Kurt be getting the experience he is currently being afforded than the token 7 minutes every 2nd game that he was getting in previous years. Enjoy the rest of the trip mate and we'll have to catch up one game day and raise a frothy one in the kids honour.

Como Connection

First Grade
Hey mate, shame the trip has to end as you seem to be having a blast. Yes, i agree, i'd rather Kurt be getting the experience he is currently being afforded than the token 7 minutes every 2nd game that he was getting in previous years. Enjoy the rest of the trip mate and we'll have to catch up one game day and raise a frothy one in the kids honour.
That would be great.
Off to Monserrat today.
CC

Bench
Aitken would be my first pick in the team. Don’t forget that this year he has been injury free,
OK he has had a few lapses in defence. Name me one player who has not had a lapse in defence.
His strength has been evident in his try’s this year.
Mann does deserve a start in the first grade and the only spot I would say is on the wing.
At the moment his best spot is off the bench

possm

Coach
Aitken would be my first pick in the team. Don’t forget that this year he has been injury free,
OK he has had a few lapses in defence. Name me one player who has not had a lapse in defence.
His strength has been evident in his try’s this year.
Mann does deserve a start in the first grade and the only spot I would say is on the wing.
At the moment his best spot is off the bench
If Aitken could take a high ball, he may be a better winger than centre. At this moment in time, I consider him to be better value on the bench instead of Mann.