What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The next 7 games...

Just when asked during the coverage on Friday his answer was "at this stage, yes". I mean I think he probably will but a part of me thinks there's a chance he is another week off and we are just trying to be tricky.

The way he said it with a cheeky grin made me think there was something in it.

Cleary is advertised in the game-day guide and Griffin also confirmed he would be playing in the Press Conference after the game.

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/05/14/gameday-guide-round-11/

MrBlack

Juniors
Cleary if hes not completely useless in the next 2 games is the best choice by far. Hes the future and he has a club combination with Maloney. Even if only 5 or so games... that's more than anyone other than Chad Townsend has.

Its best both longterm and short term really.

His club combination would only be about 5 games though.. And the first few were clunky at best.

I hope they pick Green. Selfish I know, but I want Cleary vs a warriors side without Green.

OldPanther

Coach
Just when asked during the coverage on Friday his answer was "at this stage, yes". I mean I think he probably will but a part of me thinks there's a chance he is another week off and we are just trying to be tricky.

The way he said it with a cheeky grin made me think there was something in it.

Fair enough. Griffin does love his QLD mindgames.

Fittler said if we are going well. He will pick him giving the combination with Maloney. I can't think of another viable half giving they like club combinations as much as possible. Keary, Green and Maloney all play on the left side too. Cleary is a right side which helps in defence too

Cleary if hes not completely useless in the next 2 games is the best choice by far. Hes the future and he has a club combination with Maloney. Even if only 5 or so games... that's more than anyone other than Chad Townsend has.

Its best both longterm and short term really.

Spot on.

David brown

Juniors
I wouldn't mind if Cleary had another week off just to be safe. We need him back but we don't need him that bad...

mxlegend99

Referee
His club combination would only be about 5 games though.. And the first few were clunky at best.

I hope they pick Green. Selfish I know, but I want Cleary vs a warriors side without Green.
I mentioned that its only 5 games. But other than Townsend thats a bigger headstart than anyone else.

Green is in his 30s. Bit pointless debuting him now. Cleary/Maloney has potentialfor short term success while helping us longterm.

Panthers might miss out on him. But it would still be huge for us come finals if Cleary has an Origin series under his belt. If it were a winning one it would be crazy for the confidence.

OldPanther

Coach
I mentioned that its only 5 games. But other than Townsend thats a bigger headstart than anyone else.

Green is in his 30s. Bit pointless debuting him now. Cleary/Maloney has potentialfor short term success while helping us longterm.

Panthers might miss out on him. But it would still be huge for us come finals if Cleary has an Origin series under his belt. If it were a winning one it would be crazy for the confidence.

That kind of development will be priceless if we're wanting him to help us go to and win a GF.

MrBlack

Juniors

my comments were a little tongue in cheek.

Cleary will come back from SOO a superstar or a failure (think poor old Nathen Merritt), but I doubt he will fail.

mxlegend99

Referee
Apparently they want a clean slate but so won't pick Maloney but will take back the sideways running idiot Fifita. Makes sense.
Clean slate is fine. Pick your best 17. If Maloneu isn't the first hslf picked you havent picked your best 17.

His defence is shit. But he's not much worse than Moses defensively. The way he conttols a team is like comparing Andrew Johns to Luke Walsh though.

Moses is a flat track bully. Great in a dominant team f**king useless otherwise.

OldPanther

Coach
Clean slate is fine. Pick your best 17. If Maloneu isn't the first hslf picked you havent picked your best 17.

His defence is shit. But he's not much worse than Moses defensively. The way he conttols a team is like comparing Andrew Johns to Luke Walsh though.

Moses is a flat track bully. Great in a dominant team f**king useless otherwise.

Completely agree. Just think there is a massive double standard if Maloney misses out and Fifita gets picked. I have a feeling Maloney is going to be there and the media is shooting blanks.

mxlegend99

Referee
Completely agree. Just think there is a massive double standard if Maloney misses out and Fifita gets picked. I have a feeling Maloney is going to be there and the media is shooting blanks.
The article I posted was Fittler basically defending not picking him.

If we beat Dragons it might force him to change his mind. But he really doesnt seem to want him.

soc123_au

Staff member
Freddy has to be trolling. No one in their right mind would consider Moses. He may have impressed him in the World Cup, but for the most part the World Cup is International Park Footy. Its not even close to Origin in intensity. Picking the gimp controlling the team running last is a piss take. They needed the front rowers to be creative last night to manage a try. Moses is aids and blue waffle rolled into one whiney package.

BxTom

Bench
Freddy has to be trolling. No one in their right mind would consider Moses. He may have impressed him in the World Cup, but for the most part the World Cup is International Park Footy. Its not even close to Origin in intensity. Picking the gimp controlling the team running last is a piss take. They needed the front rowers to be creative last night to manage a try. Moses is aids and blue waffle rolled into one whiney package.
Freddy might be trying to make it look as though he is looking far and wide, but perhaps is just playing mind games.

Tom.

franklin2323

Immortal
On ch9 last night Freddy pretty much said Keary/Cordner/Latrell combo is playing. Good news for us hope Cleary is the 7 Maloney has had his time

Kilkenny

Coach
We will get a better indication of where we are at in the next six weeks or so starting with this Saturday night.

The Dragons will be a stiff test and if we are serious about being ‘contenders’ then nothing less than the two points will suffice.

Still have nightmares about our loss at home in round 25 last season to a vastly inferior Dragons side before limping into the top 8.

We have a lot of improvement left in us but we need to start improving sooner rather than later.

kinghippo

Juniors
I heard fitlers interview in full and he was trying his best to avoid naming anyone as a starter. The interviewer went out of their way to include Moses as a possibility. The interviewer said is it an advantage that you have coached Moses before blah blah blah, Freddy responded very diplomatically with “of course” blah blah blah. The whole thing is media hype, there is nothing in it, Maloney will be there.

tripster

Juniors
Souths play the Warriors next week. With Souths win today, and their for and against not too much worse than ours (ours is +83, theirs +73), if they beat the Warriors by 6 points or more, and we lose to the Dragons by 5 points or more, Souths will move into second spot and we will be third (due to our superior for and against over the Warriors).