What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ISP Round 10 V Warriors

Once again I ask, why can't the NRL work with the NSWRL & QRL with scheduling. Last week the NRL had Tigers v Warriors playing in Auckland, this weeek it's the ISP teams playing.

Anyway, team list:

1. Tu'imoala LOLOHEA
2. Lucas PRICE
3. Sam MCINTYRE
4. Braden ROBSON
5. Watson HELETA
6. Tyson GAMBLE
7. Pita GODINET
8. Jacob FELISE
9. Matthew MCILWRICK
10. J. RATUVAKACEREIVALU
11. Christopher MCQUEEN
12. Luke GARNER (c)
13. Joshua ALOIAI
INT
14. Thomas MIKAELE
15. Cowen EPERE
16. Patrice SIOLO
18. Bayley SIRONEN
21. Bayley FAULL

Note: Remember when Manaia Cherrington was going to be the long term No 9 after Farah and from memory, made the NZ squad on end of season tour to England from Tigers reserves? He's listed as a reserve for Warriors ISP team as is Blake Ayshford.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Once again I ask, why can't the NRL work with the NSWRL & QRL with scheduling. Last week the NRL had Tigers v Warriors playing in Auckland, this weeek it's the ISP teams playing.

Anyway, team list:

1. Tu'imoala LOLOHEA
2. Lucas PRICE
3. Sam MCINTYRE
4. Braden ROBSON
5. Watson HELETA
6. Tyson GAMBLE
7. Pita GODINET
8. Jacob FELISE
9. Matthew MCILWRICK
10. J. RATUVAKACEREIVALU
11. Christopher MCQUEEN
12. Luke GARNER (c)
13. Joshua ALOIAI
INT
14. Thomas MIKAELE
15. Cowen EPERE
16. Patrice SIOLO
18. Bayley SIRONEN
21. Bayley FAULL

Note: Remember when Manaia Cherrington was going to be the long term No 9 after Farah and from memory, made the NZ squad on end of season tour to England from Tigers reserves? He's listed as a reserve for Warriors ISP team as is Blake Ayshford.

Not sure what happened with Manaia. Coming through the grades he and McIness were the 2 gun hookers of their age group. McInness is probably going to play Origin this year whilst Cherrington is playing off the bench in reserve grade. At the same age I thought he looked much better then Liddle. Strange how some guys just don’t kick on.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Anyway, team list:

1. Tu'imoala LOLOHEA
2. Lucas PRICE
3. Sam MCINTYRE
4. Braden ROBSON
5. Watson HELETA
6. Tyson GAMBLE
7. Pita GODINET
8. Jacob FELISE
9. Matthew MCILWRICK
10. J. RATUVAKACEREIVALU
11. Christopher MCQUEEN
12. Luke GARNER (c)
13. Joshua ALOIAI
INT
14. Thomas MIKAELE
15. Cowen EPERE
16. Patrice SIOLO
18. Bayley SIRONEN
21. Bayley FAULL

No guarantee Liddle doesn’t go down the same path as Manaia.Im a long way from being convinced he will cement the no. 9 jersey long term at Concord.The one advantage he currently has assuming he can avoid getting injuried so damn often is his competition for the no.9 are shithouse.

11 - 0 win.
Josh Aloiai 7min
Watson Heleta 72 min
Tui 1 goal
Gamble 1 field goal

A defensive clinic by the Western Suburbs Magpies has seen them defeat the Warriors 11-0 in their own backyard. The home side crossed five times, but were denied four points on all five occasions, showing the attitude that the Magpies turned up with was nothing but positive.

It was a tough game in tougher conditions, with only one try coming from the in each half. Tui Lolohea is known for his attack, but it would be his scramble defence that shone in his home away from home.

The Warriors went almighty close on two occasions, with the first coming early in the game as Manaia Cherrington did his best to burrow over from dummy half, but the ball was dislodged in the act of storing. The second game just before the break, with a sharp right-to-left shift was almost finished by Lewis Soosemea, but there was a slight bobble whilst attempting to ground the ball.

Josh Aloiai was the only try-scorer for the half, getting the Magpies off to a great start with brute strength and will. He charged at the Warriors defence at full pelt, before driving his way towards the line post-contact and planting the ball down adjacent to the posts.

A Tyson Gamble field goal on the stroke of half-time nudged the Magpies out to a 7-0 lead, which was smart given the conditions.

The Warriors went ridiculously close to opening the second half scoring, but were denied by some outstanding scramble defence. James Bell was centimetres from planting the ball down under the posts, but Tui Lolohea and Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu managed to stop the ball from touching the chalk.

Lolohea then saved another try when some class from Beale put Soosemea into space, and he looked destined to score as he raced towards the corner, but the Magpies’ fullback had his target in his sights, and took him into touch. The Magpies defence saved yet another try shortly after, holding up Blake Ayshford as he crossed.

Braden Robson showed his brilliance to extend the Magpies’ lead to 11, breaking through a tackle and attracting the opposition winger before spinning and offloading to Watson Heleta, who strolled over in the corner.

Lolohea was denied a try on the stroke of full-time, and there would be no further points as the Magpies ran out 11-0 winners.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/05/12/magpies-shut-out-warriors/

Clifferd

Coach
Heard Aloiai was a stand out which is no surprise, didn’t get to see the match. I honestly think he got dropped to gain match fitness on the edges as Cleary sees him as our long term 2nd rower

Our best NRL 17 must have Aloiai there

Tiger05

First Grade
Heard Aloiai was a stand out which is no surprise, didn’t get to see the match. I honestly think he got dropped to gain match fitness on the edges as Cleary sees him as our long term 2nd rower

Our best NRL 17 must have Aloiai there

I watched the game. Aloiai was good. They played him at 13 up the middle. I think he might go better there.

Tigerm

First Grade
I watched the game. Aloiai was good. They played him at 13 up the middle. I think he might go better there.
Maybe they were trialling him in that position, and leave ET at hooker? Though not sure what 7 mins would show you.

ISP Team of the Week.

16 – JOSH ALOIAI
CLUB: WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES; 2018 TOTW SELECTIONS: 1.

One try, 14 runs, 151 total metres, 51 post-contact metres, one line-break, four tackle-breaks, 35 tackles.

Some round 10 stats for the 3 back-rowers:
13. Aloiai. - 61 minutes - 14 runs - 151.9 metres - 51.7 post contact metres - 35 tackles - 1 missed tackle
12. Garner - 80 minutes - 9 runs - 127.3 metres - 41.5 post contact metres - 33 tackles
11 McQueen - 80 mins - 8 runs - 54.6 metres - 24.9 post contact metres - 34 tackles

Based on those stats, Aloiai before the 11 & 12 in 1st grade !!!

Clifferd

Coach
McQueen is really poor isn’t he. Should be doing a lot more work

Even Garner seems to be streets ahead at this stage

That's right Clifferd, imagine Aloiai's stats with 5 or 10 more minutes, let alone 19 - compared to McQueen. But in his defence, I guess we don't know where he is confidence wise with that neck injury.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm not sure that McQueen is poor. He is an edge forward and sometimes they just don't get involved enough. I suppose the point is that he isn't very good. I think he could do the job in first grade but I'm not sure he is doing better than Rochow who isn't doing well now.

The difficult issue is where to play Aloiai ? I think he is better in the middle because he can have feet as hands but we have a lot of middle forwards. I think we need to get the most out of him in first grade because he is a forward who can really dent the line and make a bust. He is better in that role than all our forwards.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Stats can be very misleading.

Edge forwards naturally make less meters and less per hit up then middles. Middles generally get the ball striaght from the dummyhalf and further from the defence. Edge forwards get it two passes wide and later, when the defence is usually 2/3ms from them.

Latest posts