What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 Vs Newcastle

mxlegend99

Referee
No one likes what is happening to Bryce. Agree that the only saving grace is that he's not at the club while he's going through it.

As for Moylan, well we got the better of that deal too at this stage. Can't imagine being where we are ATM with Moylan instead of Maloney while Cleary's been injured.
Moylan in curreny form would definitely be a downgrade.

Hes not as bad as some have made out. But hes nowhere near 2016 Moylan either. Im glad as it woild br painful to watch if he were.

Not as painful as Carty though. Lock to 6. To brnch. To 6. Now hes dropped altogether.

Its probably in his best interest to play for fun against a lower standard of player and get some confidence back. Although even QLD Cup might be too much for him. He literally got out the way of a tackle he could probably have made.

Kev07

Juniors
Im not the one posting stats in here (for a change :p)

You posted the stats on Merrin and Tamou in premierships and rep jerseys. As if those stats mattered today.

Kev is posting that our most expensive player plays less minutes as if that is a good thing. We all know he is easily capable of more.. so its obvious the coach thinks those minutes he is losing are more valuable elsewhere.

The best forwards get more minutes unless they're impact players who go out at 100 miles an hour and get tired quickly.

First Hook benches him. Gives him the last top 17 number. Neither is a big deal on their own. Bench is still important. But slowly taking away minutes from him shows his importance is dropping.

If he rated him as highly as some fans do I think he would have gotten the RCG treatment. Named to start. Benched. Then brought on to play 60 minutes straight. Tamou is fit enough to do that.

Im not holding Tamou up to some impossible to achieve standard. Im holding him to a standard he proved he was capable of over several years at Cowboys which he is yet to show for us more than a couple of times.

That player's still in there. He's at the age most props are in their prime. He's not like Brent Kite where it's a lost cause.
Dribble mate....his minutes are quality but keep spinning it all you want.

Abacus

Juniors
Im not the one posting stats in here (for a change :p)

You posted the stats on Merrin and Tamou in premierships and rep jerseys. As if those stats mattered today.

Kev is posting that our most expensive player plays less minutes as if that is a good thing. We all know he is easily capable of more.. so its obvious the coach thinks those minutes he is losing are more valuable elsewhere.

The best forwards get more minutes unless they're impact players who go out at 100 miles an hour and get tired quickly.

First Hook benches him. Gives him the last top 17 number. Neither is a big deal on their own. Bench is still important. But slowly taking away minutes from him shows his importance is dropping.

If he rated him as highly as some fans do I think he would have gotten the RCG treatment. Named to start. Benched. Then brought on to play 60 minutes straight. Tamou is fit enough to do that.

Im not holding Tamou up to some impossible to achieve standard. Im holding him to a standard he proved he was capable of over several years at Cowboys which he is yet to show for us more than a couple of times.

That player's still in there. He's at the age most props are in their prime. He's not like Brent Kite where it's a lost cause.

You keep missing the point about roles in teams. He's off the bench to play a specific role - keep the middle tight while partnering Leota (mainly). Seriously watch him slow the tackle and ruck and then the speed of his play the balls. These 2 things give us time to set the defensive line and then get on a roll in attack. He does these better than anyone else in the team.

Yes, he gets paid very well - we weren't his only option when he signed. But his impact goes beyond match stats - obviously if the coach plays him more his match stats improve but then guys like RCG, Merrin and JFH lose minutes. Not sure that many saw JFH having the impact he has so far, and Merrin going to prop, which I think have had the biggest impacts on Tamou's minutes.

Is Tamou doing a bad job during his time on the field. I would say no. His stats per minute stack up with, and exceed, the other forwards. So is the reason for lower minutes to play his role for the team, playing at a high level and workrate and leading the pack while Merrin is off? I believe so.

This is the perspective that is missed by looking at match stats. But whoever is playing whatever role, ATM it is working for the team. Why look to disrupt that and for what benefit? Our forward rotation is not an issue.

mxlegend99

Referee
Dribble mate....his minutes are quality but keep spinning it all you want.
The only spinning being done is calling thrm quality minutes.

If they were quality he would get more of them

You keep missing the point about roles in teams. He's off the bench to play a specific role - keep the middle tight while partnering Leota (mainly). Seriously watch him slow the tackle and ruck and then the speed of his play the balls. These 2 things give us time to set the defensive line and then get on a roll in attack. He does these better than anyone else in the team.

Yes, he gets paid very well - we weren't his only option when he signed. But his impact goes beyond match stats - obviously if the coach plays him more his match stats improve but then guys like RCG, Merrin and JFH lose minutes. Not sure that many saw JFH having the impact he has so far, and Merrin going to prop, which I think have had the biggest impacts on Tamou's minutes.

Is Tamou doing a bad job during his time on the field. I would say no. His stats per minute stack up with, and exceed, the other forwards. So is the reason for lower minutes to play his role for the team, playing at a high level and workrate and leading the pack while Merrin is off? I believe so.

This is the perspective that is missed by looking at match stats. But whoever is playing whatever role, ATM it is working for the team. Why look to disrupt that and for what benefit? Our forward rotation is not an issue.
His role is the exact same as the average (non impact) benchie. Give our starting forwards a rest. Unlike RCG he didnt get a special benchie role.

Do you think we planned for our star forward signing to be a benchie for us? There's absolutely no way we had this planned when we signed him. His form or lack thereof is why he is on the bench getting fewer minutes. I am certain Hook and Gus expected far more from him when signing him.

Fangs

Coach
I highly doubt Tamou will be here in 2019 barring a big change in form. Just chill out for the rest of the year and we won't need to talk about it later.

mxlegend99

Referee
I highly doubt Tamou will be here in 2019 barring a big change in form. Just chill out for the rest of the year and we won't need to talk about it later.
If we had a team wanting him and willing to take his wage off our hands I agree. He would be gone in an instant.

But theres no way a team would offer him much money after his 2 seasons with us... and there's no way we soak up much of his contract.

Hes here to stay unless a team gets extremely desperate.

OldPanther

Coach
No OP, players don't work that way. A coach is not a player (obviously). Players, especially those that have achieved everything, can tell other players truths that a coach could never get away with.

You do know Martin Lang was a premiership winning forward at this club right? If they wouldn't listen to a guy like him they certainly wouldn't listen to Tamou. Anyway it was just an example.

If they were quality he would get more of them

His role is the exact same as the average (non impact) benchie. Give our starting forwards a rest. Unlike RCG he didnt get a special benchie role.

Pretty much this. Whatever his role he isn't an integral part of our pack. He's just giving a rest to our important forwards and filling a spot until guys like Leota, Hetherington and Lui-Toso are ready for more responsibility.

Last edited:

Abacus

Juniors
You do know Martin Lang was a premiership winning forward at this club right? If they wouldn't listen to a guy like him they certainly wouldn't listen to Tamou. Anyway it was just an example.
Hahaha, thanks OP. I like to start the day with a good laugh.

Abacus

Juniors
If we had a team wanting him and willing to take his wage off our hands I agree. He would be gone in an instant.

But theres no way a team would offer him much money after his 2 seasons with us... and there's no way we soak up much of his contract.

Hes here to stay unless a team gets extremely desperate.

I think the Raiders are a chance. They've lost Paulo and maybe losing Boyd. They were also keen when we signed him in 2016.

OldPanther

Coach
Hahaha, thanks OP. I like to start the day with a good laugh.

I get if you think a player on field would contribute more when it comes to teaching players and growing their game but the idea of a forward coach really isn't that far fetched.

Abacus

Juniors
I get if you think a player on field would contribute more when it comes to teaching players and growing their game but the idea of a forward coach really isn't that far fetched.

More to do with recency bias among players. He retired 14 years ago - most of our young forwards would only distantly remember bangers charging into the defence. Besides that, he was fairly 1 dimensional. I'm not sure that's the example I'd want the kids learning.

Whereas in recent years they've watched Tamou play Origin, Tests and win a comp as they've aspired to reach the NRL.

Also, a coach (even ex-players) is still a coach. There is definitely a difference in players minds between what they'll cop off a coach or from a teammate.

More to do with recency bias among players. He retired 14 years ago - most of our young forwards would only distantly remember bangers charging into the defence. Besides that, he was fairly 1 dimensional. I'm not sure that's the example I'd want the kids learning.

Whereas in recent years they've watched Tamou play Origin, Tests and win a comp as they've aspired to reach the NRL.

Also, a coach (even ex-players) is still a coach. There is definitely a difference in players minds between what they'll cop off a coach or from a teammate.
And almost universally be bagged as too soft for rep football. Not being a merkin here, this is the most common opinion of him

Luke Bowden

First Grade
And almost universally be bagged as too soft for rep football. Not being a merkin here, this is the most common opinion of him

Who bags him as being soft? Other than a few dudes on here? Peter Stirling called him a “Beast, being unleashed from the bench”..... Brad Fittler said that he’s currently playing a vital role of the bench, he comes on at a time when most teams start to struggle in defence, his quick play the balls, in combination with Katoa running from dummy half have the Panthers looking dangerous.

So Stirling and Fittler certainly aren’t bagging him.

mxlegend99

Referee
I think the Raiders are a chance. They've lost Paulo and maybe losing Boyd. They were also keen when we signed him in 2016.
Those guys must be regretting letting Vaughan go. I honestly don't understand how Ricky couldnt see that he was their best forward.

Dragons won the lottery with him.

Who bags him as being soft? Other than a few dudes on here? Peter Stirling called him a “Beast, being unleashed from the bench”..... Brad Fittler said that he’s currently playing a vital role of the bench, he comes on at a time when most teams start to struggle in defence, his quick play the balls, in combination with Katoa running from dummy half have the Panthers looking dangerous.

So Stirling and Fittler certainly aren’t bagging him.
I'm talking about rep football. Tamou is a good solid NRL prop

franklin2323

Immortal

A coach isn't doing the summer slogs and hours in the gym a player does. That is when the players talk and stuff rubs off

Latest posts