What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnesc-1851321rc.jpg

DRAGONS

McInnes vying for rare shot at Kangaroos jersey if he makes Origin
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 16 May 2018, 04:22 PM

Cameron McInnes has two matches to not only secure the NSW No.9 jersey but earn himself a shot at the Australian hooking role after Cameron Smith’s representative retirement left the Test position vacant for the first time since the Super League war.

McInnes and South Sydney’s Damien Cook are vying to be the Blues hooker in the Holden State of Origin series but Smith’s shock announcement means whoever wins the job will also be battling the new Queensland rake for Kangaroos selection.

With Smith succeeding former NSW great Danny Buderus as the Australian hooker in 2006, the Kangaroos No.9 jersey has been filled by those two since the beginning of the century.

Before then, Andrew Johns was Australia’s preferred hooking option – a role he first filled during the 1995 World Cup after Steve Walters was overlooked for selection, along with other players who had signed with the breakaway competition.

Johns continued to be favoured ahead of Queensland hooker Jason Hetherington until Buderus took over in 2001, although Jason Hetherington (2), Craig Gower (5), Craig Wing (2) and Luke Priddis (1) have worn the No.9 Australian jersey occasionally in Tests.

The absence of Smith this season will ensure a return to the days when State of Origin doubled as a head-to-head contest between Walters and his NSW rival Ben Elias for the Kangaroos hooking role.

Peking Duk to perform at MCG State of Origin

Brisbane’s Andrew McCullough is the favourite to replace Smith at hooker for Queensland but the Blues No.9 appears to still be undecided and McInnes needs strong performances for St George Illawarra in the next two weeks before the team is named.

"Anyone would be naïve if they think the job is done now, if they want to get picked," Dragons teammate James Graham said. "Australia play at the end of the season so it will be interesting to see who gets the No.9 for them as well."

McInnes is one of up to six Dragons players under consideration for Blues selection, along with centre Euan Aitken and forwards Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims.

All have been willing to talk up their Origin claims to gain the attention of NSW coach Brad Fittler and have followed up with performances that have helped the Dragons to the top of the Telstra Premiership ladder.

"I have been delighted for my teammates to be spoken about in such high regard and it is all deserved as well," Graham said.

"I have been so impressed about how everyone has gone about their business, it is a credit to them. I am fully behind each and every one of their campaigns to get selected.

"I think if they keep doing the team-first actions that will go a long way these next two weeks."

Is Cameron Smith the greatest ever?

Meanwhile, Graham paid tribute to Smith and he admitted the Dragons had been counting on the 2017 Golden Boot award winner being absent when they played Melbourne during the Origin period in round 17.

"What a tremendous career. Can we say he is the best of the best?" said the England prop, who has gone head to head with Smith at Test level for the past 12 years. "In the past 120 years of our game [since 1895] is there any more decorated.

"You look at the St George teams of yesteryear who won those [11 consecutive] premierships but Smith, with what he has done, it is hard to think of anyone that would come close.

"It’s hard to put it on a scale to do justice to what he has achieved; the way he is, the way he carries himself, the position that he plays …

"He is such an expert in knowing when to interject into the game, He is like the conductor of the orchestra. He knows if he needs to turn something up here or turn something down there."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/16....9-jersey-if-he-snares-state-of-origin-debut/

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
What? Rein is definitely on par with McInnes. Problem is Rein is playing in a losing team. It seems to sway perspective. I should add that I have nothing against McInnes except his continual forward passes. His defense is 50/50 depending on who you talk to. Peats will not make origin this year but Cook probably will. McInnes may be on standby.

For God's sake, don't mention McInnes's dubious passing from dummy half! The amount of 'deniers' in these parts are astronomical.

The continual inference that Rein is a central figure to the Titans losing is clutching at straws, at the very least. Put Cameon Smith there - do people REALLY believe their results wouldn't improve?

Ludicrous.

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
For God's sake, don't mention McInnes's dubious passing from dummy half! The amount of 'deniers' in these parts are astronomical.

The continual inference that Rein is a central figure to the Titans losing is clutching at straws, at the very least. Put Cameon Smith there - do people REALLY believe their results would improve?

Ludicrous.

Yes. Yes I do think their results would improve. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a half-wit.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Narrow focus for NSW hopeful McInnes
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3514_2343_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BRAINS TRUST: Cameron McInnes and Paul McGregor at Dragons training. Picture: Adam McLean.

DRAGONS hooker Cam McInnes is a self-confessed footy head – and it's not just the tooth missing from his gums.

Most seasons, when the 24-year-old isn't playing footy, he's watching it. This season, however, he's given it a miss. Even so, he hasn't been immune to the State of Origin selection talk that's followed him, and his side, since preseason.

There's simply avoiding ahead of Saturday's clash with Penrith at Panthers Stadium, a one v two clash that will feature no less than 12 Origin hopefuls just 48 hours before Brad Fittler names his Blues side for game one.

McInnes remains locked in a battle with Damien Cook for the NSW No. 9 but insists that won't be on his mind when he runs out in front of the Panthers faithful.

“Even though I'm not on social media and things like that, it's impossible not to hear [Origin speculation],” McInnes said.

“That's the just the reality of it. If you want to bury your head in the sand, that's naive, so it's not about burying my head in the sand, it's just about keeping my focus narrow.

“It's an approach I've taken this year for me keeping my head clear. I love footy and sometimes [in the past] I've found myself watching every game, but for me, I look forward to coming to training every day and playing every week with the way I'm approaching things right now.

“I haven't watched a great deal of footy this year, other than my own games and the teams I'm up against, so I couldn't really tell you how other players have been going every week.

“I don't know how I sit, I don't know what the selectors are thinking. I just know I owe it to the boys, the club and the fans to focus on how I'm playing for the Dragons. If we play well as a team, and if I play well individually, those things can happen.”

While Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell are all but assured of selection, Saturday will be the final chance for the club's other hopefuls to push their claims for a maiden Blues jumper.

McInnes puts the number of contenders down to the team first mentality driving the 9-2 start to the season that's set up Saturday's top of the table clash.

“There's a lot of talk around [Origin] and we'd all be lying if we said we don't want to play,” McInnes said.

“We all want to play, of course we do, but I think the reason we've been going so well is guys are putting their egos aside and doing what's best for the team, not what's best for them to make Origin.

“The funny thing is, when you do that, that's probably when you get picked. On Sunday or Monday, I'd be so happy for the boys if a few of their names are in there. As long as we keep playing well for each other, those good things will happen.”

Whether he gets the nod or not, McInnes is confident his side's NRL campaign won't be derailed by a demanding rep season.

“I can understand why there's a bit of thought like that,” McInnes said.

"Last year we did struggle through that period but I think, with the approach we're taking as a team, I'm very confident it's not going to affect us.

"To me it's just an excuse anyway. All 16 teams are going to be affected to some degree whether it be Origin, the Internationals coming up, injuries, that's just the nature of it.

“That's why the best team is there in October, because they're able to withstand all those things.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5424759/narrow-focus-for-nsw-hopeful-mcinnes/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal

Why McInnes no longer watches other NRL games
Author
Timestamp
Wed 23 May 2018, 05:03 PM

St George Illawarra hooker Cameron McInnes has withdrawn from social media and stopped watching other NRL teams play in a bid to shut out the speculation about his NSW prospects.

McInnes and his former South Sydney teammate Damien Cook are believed to be involved in a two-horse race for the Blues' No.9 jersey but the Dragons hooker has taken steps to block out the Origin talk to focus on his role with the Telstra Premiership leaders.

"In all honesty, with all the Origin talk I don’t know how everyone has been playing week to week because I haven’t been watching it and I haven’t been analysing it," McInnes said.

"It is just an approach I have taken this year for me to keep my head clear and I don’t go on social media or things like that. I love footy and sometimes I could find myself watching every game and things like that.

"I look forward to coming to training every day and playing every week with the way I am approaching this right now and I make sure I watch the team I am up against so I have done my due diligence on that but I haven’t been analysing other players or what they are doing.

"At the end of the day it’s how I play and I have just wanted to play well for the Dragons.”

Coaches Corner: Edge defence and attack

The 24-year-old has scored two tries and been responsible for another four from dummy half this season, while averaging 37 tackles.

McInnes said he wasn’t sure if he’d done enough to convince new Blues coach Brad Fittler that he was the man for the hooking job.

"I have played good footy for the team, my coaches are happy with the way I have been playing and my team-mates are. As for the selectors, I don’t know what they are thinking," he said.

With six Dragons players under consideration by Fittler and a four from Penrith, Saturday night’s top-of-table clash with the second-placed Panthers may decide places in the Blues team to be announced at The Star on Monday night.

"It is not about burying my head in the sand, it is just about keeping my focus narrow," McInnes said. "I think a lot of the boys have done that too. There is a lot of talk around it and we are all lying if we say we don’t want to play State of Origin, of course we do.

"But I think the reason we have been going so well is because guys have been putting their egos aside and doing what is best for the team, not what’s best for them getting into Origin.

"The funny thing is that when you do that, it is probably when you get picked."

McInnes loving 'two horse race' for Origin

St George Illawarra halfback Ben Hunt is also expected to be chosen in the Queensland team but it is less certain which position he will play after the representative retirement of Maroons captain Cameron Smith.

Hunt was the back-up hooker for Smith in Australia’s World Cup winning team and is believed to be locked in a battle with North Queensland’s Michael Morgan to determine who plays halfback and as the bench utility.

"He was sitting on the bench for Australia last year as a hooker so that would be interesting if my club halfback was the hooker for the country at the end of the year but that is the type of player Ben is," McInnes said. "You could put him in any position and he will do a good job."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/23/why-mcinnes-no-longer-watches-other-nrl-games/

Drag Queen

Bench
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/topic/dragons/
Why McInnes no longer watches other NRL games
Author
Timestamp
Wed 23 May 2018, 05:03 PM

St George Illawarra hooker Cameron McInnes has withdrawn from social media and stopped watching other NRL teams play in a bid to shut out the speculation about his NSW prospects.

McInnes and his former South Sydney teammate Damien Cook are believed to be involved in a two-horse race for the Blues' No.9 jersey but the Dragons hooker has taken steps to block out the Origin talk to focus on his role with the Telstra Premiership leaders.

"In all honesty, with all the Origin talk I don’t know how everyone has been playing week to week because I haven’t been watching it and I haven’t been analysing it," McInnes said.

"It is just an approach I have taken this year for me to keep my head clear and I don’t go on social media or things like that. I love footy and sometimes I could find myself watching every game and things like that.

"I look forward to coming to training every day and playing every week with the way I am approaching this right now and I make sure I watch the team I am up against so I have done my due diligence on that but I haven’t been analysing other players or what they are doing.

"At the end of the day it’s how I play and I have just wanted to play well for the Dragons.”

Coaches Corner: Edge defence and attack

The 24-year-old has scored two tries and been responsible for another four from dummy half this season, while averaging 37 tackles.

McInnes said he wasn’t sure if he’d done enough to convince new Blues coach Brad Fittler that he was the man for the hooking job.

"I have played good footy for the team, my coaches are happy with the way I have been playing and my team-mates are. As for the selectors, I don’t know what they are thinking," he said.

With six Dragons players under consideration by Fittler and a four from Penrith, Saturday night’s top-of-table clash with the second-placed Panthers may decide places in the Blues team to be announced at The Star on Monday night.

"It is not about burying my head in the sand, it is just about keeping my focus narrow," McInnes said. "I think a lot of the boys have done that too. There is a lot of talk around it and we are all lying if we say we don’t want to play State of Origin, of course we do.

"But I think the reason we have been going so well is because guys have been putting their egos aside and doing what is best for the team, not what’s best for them getting into Origin.

"The funny thing is that when you do that, it is probably when you get picked."

McInnes loving 'two horse race' for Origin

St George Illawarra halfback Ben Hunt is also expected to be chosen in the Queensland team but it is less certain which position he will play after the representative retirement of Maroons captain Cameron Smith.

Hunt was the back-up hooker for Smith in Australia’s World Cup winning team and is believed to be locked in a battle with North Queensland’s Michael Morgan to determine who plays halfback and as the bench utility.

"He was sitting on the bench for Australia last year as a hooker so that would be interesting if my club halfback was the hooker for the country at the end of the year but that is the type of player Ben is," McInnes said. "You could put him in any position and he will do a good job."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/23/why-mcinnes-no-longer-watches-other-nrl-games/

Drag Queen

Bench
That's interesting. I recall McInnes telling his team mates to stay off social media last season. He must have relented. I actually think it's healthier for the players to stay off it tbh. You can read 100 positives about yourself yet doubt that one negative comment. Sincerely Dr Phil Xx

Bench
I would hope that Robson gets a bench spot. Then he can get to watch the whole game from the sideline.
A good coach would see the benefits of having Robson on towards the end of the game.
We don’t have that sort of coach

Wittenberg

Juniors
McInnes for me, like the team in general, fell away in the second half of the year. He is no Cook, but he is certainly not a Rein either. Yes I think Robson needs to be used with him because McInnes tackles himself to a standstill and loses the energy to run when it is most needed. He does give away silly penalties, often at crucial times. In my opinion he didn't develop his game as much as I thought he would this year, but how he is used by Mary has not helped him..

Drag Queen

Bench
McInnes for me, like the team in general, fell away in the second half of the year. He is no Cook, but he is certainly not a Rein either. Yes I think Robson needs to be used with him because McInnes tackles himself to a standstill and loses the energy to run when it is most needed. He does give away silly penalties, often at crucial times. In my opinion he didn't develop his game as much as I thought he would this year, but how he is used by Mary has not helped him..
He is definitely no Cook nor is he as good as Rein. I'll get hate mail for even saying this. Titan's fans want Rein over Peats. I would hazard a quess that Rein and Marshall were the scapegoats for Mary's failure as a coach. Defensively Cam McIness is pretty good but it finishes there. I saw one instance when he made a run and he was deceptively quick. Problem is I only saw it once. By the end of the season he was knackered. Bring on Robson for 20 minutes a game. Nothing to lose.

BLM01

First Grade
He is definitely no Cook nor is he as good as Rein. I'll get hate mail for even saying this. Titan's fans want Rein over Peats. I would hazard a quess that Rein and Marshall were the scapegoats for Mary's failure as a coach. Defensively Cam McIness is pretty good but it finishes there. I saw one instance when he made a run and he was deceptively quick. Problem is I only saw it once. By the end of the season he was knackered. Bring on Robson for 20 minutes a game. Nothing to lose.

Based on your points there DQ..it isnt McInnes... it is the coach again using him incorrectly and he too can go into the Rein & Marshall basket. But cant agree with you on those ones.
Rein whilst could defend, is slower runner out of dummy half (both were shackled somewhat by conservative Nelly coach) and his passes were not as sharp as McInnes (not sayng McInnes is at the top of the tree at passing either)..and Rein was good for a few more brain explosions in attack. WRONG options frequently.

Benji Marshall should of finished up after his 1st stint at the Tigers. He was just dropped back to being a bog average player when he got to our club and a terrible signing by Price & Doust for supposedly being our big saviour.
It was like putting Panthers Girl and Frank Facer in the halves. ;) Just my opinion.

Drag Queen

Bench
Based on your points there DQ..it isnt McInnes... it is the coach again using him incorrectly and he too can go into the Rein & Marshall basket. But cant agree with you on those ones.
Rein whilst could defend, is slower runner out of dummy half (both were shackled somewhat by conservative Nelly coach) and his passes were not as sharp as McInnes (not sayng McInnes is at the top of the tree at passing either)..and Rein was good for a few more brain explosions in attack. WRONG options frequently.

Benji Marshall should of finished up after his 1st stint at the Tigers. He was just dropped back to being a bog average player when he got to our club and a terrible signing by Price & Doust for supposedly being our big saviour.
It was like putting Panthers Girl and Frank Facer in the halves. ;) Just my opinion.
No need to agree, it was merely my opinion. Rein was relegated to ISP when he went to the Panthers (Shit did I say the Panthers word) Damn. Anyways he was named ISP player of the year. Brennan took him to the Titans as we all know. Love Benji but concede he's way past his best. More likely to meet FF in the mental facility than in the halves, not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Carlton

Juniors

Go easy on him Drag Queen, when you are regularly making in excess of 50 effective tackles on forwards with 20+ kilos on you, it limits what you can do in attack. I want the forwards to step up and take some of the defensive pressure off him. We have some good defenders in the forwards but in my opinion they go missing at times and leave it to McInness to carry the load.

He has shown at times he has something to contribute in attack but I believe he is being unfairly restricted in this area.