What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECB chairman, young people “not attracted to cricket”

DC80

Juniors
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44113230

England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Colin Graves;

“The younger generation, whether you like it or not, are just not attracted to cricket. In all the work, surveys and research we have done, the younger generation want something different.

They want more excitement, they want it shorter and simpler to understand. Those are the things we have learnt for this new competition and that is what we have to make it."

How much longer can five day cricket last? Is the Ashes keeping it alive? England is one of the few countries that still follow test cricket, well really the Ashes. The problem is it’s the older generation who watch, what happens after they go?

I’ve always thought cricket was old fashioned. The pace of the game is too slow for the modern world. Baseball is having similar issues in the US with a decline in viewing figures, attendances, and current players not household names. People want things instant nowadays. A five day cricket match, I can’t see that format lasting.

Bazal

Post Whore
Test cricket will last because it's the pinnacle.

State of Origin is utterly pointless, yet #camthreecontracts retiring from it has been the biggest news story on the eastern seaboard. Test cricket has much more value and worth than a regional footy competition, it will survive.

I also have no issue with innovation. That being said I think the proposed format for 100 ball cricket is stupid. 100 ball cricket already exists, it's 8 a side T20 cricket called Last Man Stands and using that format would be much more interesting than the proposal IMO.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I honestly think as everything gets faster and faster there will be a real place for the likes of baseball and test cricket as alternatives.

Also while the players still regard test cricket as the pinnacle it will be fine

Timbo

Staff member
It doesn’t help that cricket hasn’t been on free to air tv in the UK since 2005 - how many young people can afford pay tv when they go to uni or move out of home for the first time.

These idiots are doing everything they can to make cricket less accessible, and then turn around and blame the people who they’ve actively restricted from watching the game? Give me strength.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
where does this guy think old people come from ?

this sounds to me like its agenda driven, shorter versions of the game bring more people through the gate and he seems to be pushing an argument for their 100 ball cricket

they'll never replace test cricket

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think test cricket needs some help

I try to get to the SGC test every year (ok I like wearing pink)

Jane McGrath day is massive, no matter who is playing us, families all turn up with their kids to give their support, and also they are at test cricket. Maybe there is something in that?

I only have a couple of mates who genuinely like test cricket, all the others, including family members, work colleagues, ALL Women, acquaintances etc...all hate test cricket and think it s one massive snore fest, don't understand it, don't like it. However a lot of those very people really like t20. saddens me no end.

I think its a sign of the times

Don't have the answer except that ill support and enjoy test cricket over the other formats till Im dead, unfortunately for us folks on here we are the minority

Eelectrica

Referee
Exactly how much easier to understand can cricket possibly be?
The follow on rule is a bit weird I suppose but other than that it couldn't be simpler.

Perhaps they should go with 2 ball overs so as people struggling to understand can keep track easier.

I suppose like all things test cricket needs to be affordable to keep going.
More countries seem to be wanting to play test cricket but the higher ups need to give that chance. Which means not cancelling Bangladesh test tours and the like.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think test cricket needs some help

I try to get to the SGC test every year (ok I like wearing pink)

Jane McGrath day is massive, no matter who is playing us, families all turn up with their kids to give their support, and also they are at test cricket. Maybe there is something in that?

I only have a couple of mates who genuinely like test cricket, all the others, including family members, work colleagues, ALL Women, acquaintances etc...all hate test cricket and think it s one massive snore fest, don't understand it, don't like it. However a lot of those very people really like t20. saddens me no end.

I think its a sign of the times

Don't have the answer except that ill support and enjoy test cricket over the other formats till Im dead, unfortunately for us folks on here we are the minority

On the flipside, how many of them would say "I hate cricket" rather than "I find Test cricket boring" if not for T20?

Test cricket has never been everyone's cup of tea...

TheParraboy

Staff member
On the flipside, how many of them would say "I hate cricket" rather than "I find Test cricket boring" if not for T20?

Test cricket has never been everyone's cup of tea...

Both mate, Ive had mates fall of test cricket and jump on the t20 bandwagon cause they got bored with test cricket, others never liked it from day one

Many just don't understand the mental and toughness of the game, not understanding why a game is played for 5 days, and then possibly no result but bring in t20 and they like it

Eelectrica

Referee
Need less tests like they had in Melbourne could turn anyone off.
On the other hand tests like that are the outlier.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Both mate, Ive had mates fall of test cricket and jump on the t20 bandwagon cause they got bored with test cricket, others never liked it from day one

Many just don't understand the mental and toughness of the game, not understanding why a game is played for 5 days, and then possibly no result but bring in t20 and they like it

Cricket is a lovely sport, but it is an impractical sport of choice, especially test cricket.

King hit

Coach
There is some point to what he says. No doubt test cricket here still has a big following but the younger generation are more into the twenty20 these days. I remember during the big bash the commentators said they were at a clinic with these kids and they all couldn't wait to watch the big bash and it was the main cricket they follow. When I was a kid everyone couldn't wait to watch test cricket.

Bazal

Post Whore
Actually when I was a kid I preferred one day cricket. Kids have attention spans of pretty much f**k all, it's no shock they prefer T20

DC80

Juniors
where does this guy think old people come from ?
When those older people were kids, life was much slower, and they followed the game. Everything is instant now. If they were growing up now they’d be the same as kids now who don’t follow the game.

Exactly how much easier to understand can cricket possibly be?
The follow on rule is a bit weird I suppose but other than that it couldn't be simpler.

Perhaps they should go with 2 ball overs so as people struggling to understand can keep track easier.
Tend to agree in that it’s pretty straight forward. Think the issue is more the length of the game, the amount of time it takes, the long pauses, field changes, going off for tea, then at the end of days play some fella blocks shots to see it through. A Geoffrey Boycott spending half a day blocking shots to get a draw, that wouldn’t fly now. During a five day marathon, after the fourth day you hope the rain intervenes to essentially wreck a game so that it will end in a draw...always staggered me that this actually happens, that it’s part and parcel of the sport.

When I think of cricket (besides players in whites, going off for tea etc.) I think quaint English villages, garden fetes, Morris dancing, very old fashioned in a more sedate time. It had a slot in the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics that reflected exactly this as part of the Victorian era segment. It really shouldn’t surprise anyone that younger people today aren’t drawn towards it.

mave

Coach
Players, especially bowlers, batting it out for half a day to save a Test is not boring.
There is certainly a level of excitement involved.

Tim May and McDermott falling just short against the WI.
Faf did it to us a few years ago here.
Warner and Lyon falling short vs NZ in Hobart

And on a personal note, for next season our local comp will revert to 1 day games only, no 2 dayers at all for 3rd grade and lower.
Dissapointing decision from the powers that be, and certainly not one that suits run accumulaters, or part time bowlers.
ButI guess it is another sign of the times.

Bazal

Post Whore
Kids want something instant that's why they sit and play playstation for hours on end.

Not many kids sit and play Myst for hours, though.

It's irrelevant to a sporting discussion because they're sitting there shooting shit or cutting off dragons heads or launching mini nukes at deathclaws or whatever. They're doing something and unless it's a really shitful game that something changes with each mission.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Not many kids sit and play Myst for hours, though.

It's irrelevant to a sporting discussion because they're sitting there shooting shit or cutting off dragons heads or launching mini nukes at deathclaws or whatever. They're doing something and unless it's a really shitful game that something changes with each mission.
Its not irrelevant because not all kids want instant. Has this ECB bloke talked to every kid about what they want?