What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 11 vs Panthers @ Panthers Stadium

Who will win? Round 11: Panthers v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ron's_Mate

Bench
When James "kittens" Tamou is carving you up you have big problems.
Is there a dropsies comp we can join? We would kill it there.
Realistically, we thought 2018 would be a rebuilding year, then got our hopes up after the first few rounds. Now the comp has settled down, the good teams are finding form and our plodders are showing their limits.

magpie4ever

First Grade
This is my take:

We need Packer, Matulino to replace Packer. Matulino. As soon as they were replaced our go forward & tight defense fell over.

Reynolds needs to replace Marshall - Benji just wont run.

Liddle should start and play 80 minutes,

Chee Kam is not a centre.

Taylor starts at lock,

Eisenhuth bench, replacing Taylor, Packer & Matulino when required.

Twal must learn an off-load or see you later. Sue has not got it this year.

We just have no attack to trouble half decent sides & I don't have wraps on the pennies.

In fact, from what I have seen (only free to air) the standard of the comp has dropped dramatically.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Well that could have been anything!!
Held them out in the 2nd half (as per the score) but I think they need some changes.
Nofa, well Maloney had his measure didn’t he.
Perhaps Fonau to that wing.
They need another big boy so it’s time for Aloiai.
Does Lawrence offer that much?
Does Benji need a rest?
Surely Liddle can start.
Agree except re Rowdy I thought he played well & was one of our best as per usual.His defence is solid & in attack he is combining really well with Brooks.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Anyone else think the pocket referee looked like Ferret from the Fast Forward Show...I imagined him doing the Sharpie Dance and sadly that was the only thing to put a smile on my face the whole game.

Some of you younger forumites will be thinking WTF but the oldies might remember....

The only positive to take out of that game was our goal defence in the 2nd half. The rest was an abomination.

ET must never play 9 again
MCK must never play centre again.

The game plan was flawed to me. Penrith can be exposed on the edges and we didn't try that until the game was lost. Our forwards were monstered. What happened to our defence of the first 4 weeks?

You would be hard pressed to say we had a good player last night.

This week's practice. Catching farkin balls on the full

Clifferd

Coach
This is my take:

We need Packer, Matulino to replace Packer. Matulino. As soon as they were replaced our go forward & tight defense fell over.

This is what I think Cleary is building Aloiai up in nsw cup for. Notice he is starting prop in reserves this weekend

simmo1

First Grade
Penrith were pretty bloody good last night and destined for the top 4, we dis well to not let them get away. I thought they were a bit ordinary the past 2 weeks, but they definitely turned it around.

As said already, Aloiai, Fonua, Reynolds and Liddle need to come into the starting side.

Tiger05

First Grade
Aloiai and Fonua are our 2 best ball runners, need them both back next week.

This is the issue. We lack players that trouble the opposition. Brooks, Marsters, Lawrence, Chee-Kam, Nofo & those two players are the only guys who are going to create some attack. Fonua is the most likely out of all of them. Aloiai is a little rocks and diamonds.

Tiger05

First Grade
Pennies were good. But Benji really needs to sit out a week or two I reckon.

ET's service from dummy half was woeful. Never again hopefully.

ET's service was also bad but Liddle at the moment isn't a consistent player. You could try him for 80 minutes and hope he adapts.

WT Unity

Juniors
Many posters have written about the Liddle situation and I agree...carrying a hooker on the bench for that amount of time and magnifying the error of that with a dummy half in ET that is not 1st grade standard and what's more weakening his (ET's) game which as a middle third forward (lock) is 1st grade standard is lose / lose / lose. Liddle's time has come and if he's to be in the 17 then IMO he must start!

We now await the return of Reynolds which will hopefully allow Liddle to start, ET to go back to lock, Marshall to the bench as #14 and a better more balanced forward rotation that takes into consideration and possibly addresses the following weak points that we currently have;
  1. No impact running the ball out of our own end
  2. Too much reliance on our FB, Wings & Centres to do the job of forwards in that regard
    1. I expect the back 5 to help, not do it all! Our forwards were MIA in terms of bringing the ball out of our danger zone - Plenty of Penrith's go forward out of their danger zone last night was provided by their forwards with their back 5 assisting only when necessary.
    2. This is also potentially the reason that Nofa is looking ordinary and MWZ is also lacking some of the go forward he was providing earlier in the year...I think they look a bit busted. It's tough for wingers FB's and centres to take the majority of the hit ups off their own line as they and their bodies aren't really used to it. Forwards -> More grunt work please!
  3. Our rotation is a problem when Packer (especially) and Matulino go off we are in trouble.
  4. IMO We should start with one (Packer) and bring Matulino off the bench.
When Reynolds is back (whenever that may be due to match fitness and whether or not he has to play a couple of games in ISP - I'd like to see the following team;

6 - Reynolds
7 - Brooks
13 - Taylor
12 - Aloiai
11 - Lawrence
10 - Twal
9 - Liddle
8 - Packer
-----------------
14 - Marshall
15 - Matulino
16 - Sue
17 - Depth Forward - Eisenhuth / Rochow / McQueen / Grant / Felise

I'm not going to go through the back 5 until we know about the Kev move and the possible new addition which if I were to have a wish or a choice between the Barba or Holmes rumours I would choose Holmes in a heartbeat.

The forward pack above and the rotation options it provides should see us never having Packer and Matulino off the the field at the same time. It also means we have a definite middle forward on the bench (Matulino) and versatile (middle or edge) forward (Sue) on the bench and the #17 can be a weekly decision based on what the coach feels is necessary for the opposition and the game ahead.

Clifferd

Coach
Liddle was on the field for 35 mins (during a period we barely had any ball mind you) and ran for 55 metres and made a shit load of tackles

Elijah Taylor played there for 45 mins and ran for 9 metres

It’s fckin clear Taylor should never play dummy half ever again

Tiger05

First Grade
Liddle was on the field for 35 mins (during a period we barely had any ball mind you) and ran for 55 metres and made a shit load of tackles

Elijah Taylor played there for 45 mins and ran for 9 metres

It’s fckin clear Taylor should never play dummy half ever again

The problem is Liddle doesn't seem up to anywhere near 80 minutes. I wish this wasn't the case and it's a massive issue for us. Do you just play Liddle and pray he gets the job done despite the evidence so far being that he isn't up to it.

I can understand ET at dummy half because his defence is good but we had really crap go forward and a big part of that is ET at dummy half.

We need more strike power but I think our biggest issue is the dummy half position.

WT Unity

Juniors
But Reynolds solves this as he can start at 6 (when he's fit and ready) and when Liddle needs a break Benji can come on and Reynolds can move to dummy half to cover for whatever period of time that needs to be.
Saying that - I can't understand whilst at his current age that Liddle can't play for at least 60 - 70 minutes. He's in his early 20's not overly big and the likes of Brailey from Cronulla is doing it as are a few other young 9's (names escape me) doing it. As long as he has cover (i.e. Reynolds) for anywhere from 10 - 25 minutes per game it should be all good!

I say Liddle - There is the deep end -> Swim Boy!

Das Hassler

Bench
Many posters have written about the Liddle situation and I agree...carrying a hooker on the bench for that amount of time and magnifying the error of that with a dummy half in ET that is not 1st grade standard and what's more weakening his (ET's) game which as a middle third forward (lock) is 1st grade standard is lose / lose / lose. Liddle's time has come and if he's to be in the 17 then IMO he must start!

We now await the return of Reynolds which will hopefully allow Liddle to start, ET to go back to lock, Marshall to the bench as #14 and a better more balanced forward rotation that takes into consideration and possibly addresses the following weak points that we currently have;
  1. No impact running the ball out of our own end
  2. Too much reliance on our FB, Wings & Centres to do the job of forwards in that regard
    1. I expect the back 5 to help, not do it all! Our forwards were MIA in terms of bringing the ball out of our danger zone - Plenty of Penrith's go forward out of their danger zone last night was provided by their forwards with their back 5 assisting only when necessary.
    2. This is also potentially the reason that Nofa is looking ordinary and MWZ is also lacking some of the go forward he was providing earlier in the year...I think they look a bit busted. It's tough for wingers FB's and centres to take the majority of the hit ups off their own line as they and their bodies aren't really used to it. Forwards -> More grunt work please!
  3. Our rotation is a problem when Packer (especially) and Matulino go off we are in trouble.
  4. IMO We should start with one (Packer) and bring Matulino off the bench.
When Reynolds is back (whenever that may be due to match fitness and whether or not he has to play a couple of games in ISP - I'd like to see the following team;

6 - Reynolds
7 - Brooks
13 - Taylor
12 - Aloiai
11 - Lawrence
10 - Twal
9 - Liddle
8 - Packer
-----------------
14 - Marshall
15 - Matulino
16 - Sue
17 - Depth Forward - Eisenhuth / Rochow / McQueen / Grant / Felise

I'm not going to go through the back 5 until we know about the Kev move and the possible new addition which if I were to have a wish or a choice between the Barba or Holmes rumours I would choose Holmes in a heartbeat.

The forward pack above and the rotation options it provides should see us never having Packer and Matulino off the the field at the same time. It also means we have a definite middle forward on the bench (Matulino) and versatile (middle or edge) forward (Sue) on the bench and the #17 can be a weekly decision based on what the coach feels is necessary for the opposition and the game ahead.

Very well laid out and all good points !

Front-Rower

First Grade
ET should never have been playing hooker. Not before and not now. It’s a special position that needs a special type of the player to fill.

magpie_man

Juniors
There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been well covered in here.
Suffice to say: Benji is becoming a liability. If Reynolds isn't fit for next week I'd be giving Gamble a run.
Packer and Matulino need to be split, we lose way too much when they're off the field at the same time.
If Liddle can't play 80 mins then we need to give a bench spot to Godinet to help him out. ET @ 9 = never again.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If Liddle started the game last night I have no doubt we score in the first 20. In that set after Merrin got binned we had them then ET throws that terrible pass that Brooks dropped. Penrith scores next set and we never got down there again.

The 9 is the biggest issue in the entire team. I don’t understand how we can have 5 hooker options in the squad yet only 1 of them seems any good.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I wouldn't split Packer & Matulino, I would want one to go the whole 1st half - Packer. Matulino off after 25, Eisenhuth on. 2nd half Packer off after 10, Matulino back on for the rest of the game than Packer back on for final 15, Eisenhuth off.

That would be my front rower rotation - any injuries just throw a backrower on in the middle and say "do your best".

We were on top for the 1st 20 minutes last night until Packer & Matulino went off and the shit hit the fan adding to ET not being a dummy-half.

Latest posts