What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grassroots ( junior league) keeping Nrl accountable!

Stallion

First Grade
Does Victoria have PSSA?

In my new zone we only have touch football, not league tag.

Not sure. Apparently there are touch football rep teams. I assume Victoria has a touch footy rep team so I'd say that must be covered by Public School Sports association? Certainly think the rugby league development officers should wake from their slumber and get Tag well and truelly in the picture. Had touch football still adopted original play-the-ball rules the need for Leaguetag would not have been such a necessity but the the reality is Leaguetag/tag is needed as it is linked and associated more closely with rugby league.

Stallion

First Grade
Teaching at a public primary school in Newcastle today. All boys and girls in this class of 30 referred to football as being "AFL" ! These were year 3 &4 kids.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Taught at a school in Newcastle today! All boys and girls in this class of 30 referred to football as being NRL!

They also asked me why the substitute teacher next door was dribbling so much!

Reactions: Vee

Stallion

First Grade
Taught at a school in Newcastle today! All boys and girls in this class of 30 referred to football as being NRL!

They also asked me why the substitute teacher next door was dribbling so much!

Fancy that. What a despicable and ignorant response ! Pathetic. You are not the sort of person rugby league needs or should rely on as a supporter. You are clearly apathetic. And it's extremely concerning. This is not fantasy or made up. This is reality and you choose to respond like that! ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Noticed the 2017 NRL annual report did not publish registered player numbers as they have done previous years. I wonder why?

Reactions: Vee

hrundi99

First Grade
My 11yo daughter is trialling for Sydney North in Gosford in a few weeks for touch. There's a Sydney wide rep comp in Cronulla later in the year that she'll go to if she makes the team. She plays in the Belrose Eagles junior touch comp which is held Friday arvos after the footy season ends and recently played at a tackle gala day organised by the NRL and Belrose Eagles. She plays PSSA league tag as well. One of her male friends from school asked her if she would play with him in Belrose Eagles' 12s as they are short a few numbers, and she's keen but can't play as their games are on at the same time as her netball on Saturdays.

This little story is probably of no interest to anyone else here but for me and within my family (a rugby league and netball family) this is all quite cool.

My 8yo son has played for Belrose since '14 so is in his 5th season now. I expect him to be passionate about footy. It seems 11 years of stealth training are finally paying off with my daughter.

David brown

Juniors
My 11yo daughter is trialling for Sydney North in Gosford in a few weeks for touch. There's a Sydney wide rep comp in Cronulla later in the year that she'll go to if she makes the team. She plays in the Belrose Eagles junior touch comp which is held Friday arvos after the footy season ends and recently played at a tackle gala day organised by the NRL and Belrose Eagles. She plays PSSA league tag as well. One of her male friends from school asked her if she would play with him in Belrose Eagles' 12s as they are short a few numbers, and she's keen but can't play as their games are on at the same time as her netball on Saturdays.

This little story is probably of no interest to anyone else here but for me and within my family (a rugby league and netball family) this is all quite cool.

My 8yo son has played for Belrose since '14 so is in his 5th season now. I expect him to be passionate about footy. It seems 11 years of stealth training are finally paying off with my daughter.
Good man... Well done

Perth Red

Post Whore

Great to see and good on her for picking the game up,
had a good afternoon at Belrose when the Reds played them in JB Cup game!

ATOWN2

Juniors
That's why soccer is the most popular sport at junior level now. As soon as the Afl saw the threat they banned shirt front's and any head high bumps fines for any melees etc to try get the kids back.. they have a very good junior programme called auskick which is pretty well run.

I was involved in RL in schools in Adelaide for sometime and it was going well, kids loved it. But you could see the growth of soccer.... it is by far the most popular sport at junior level. Not sure what they are doing there now in terms of RL...I moved. Hopefully it is still gaining traction.

I can't comment on what the NRL Development Officers do in schools. However, whatever they are doing (surely positive) is not resulting in these junior players joining clubs in their local metro comp. It would be great to grow the game in the affiliated states so that league could truly become a National game.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/20/happened-rugby-leagues-missing-25000-players/

Seniors wise league should be played on Saturday's! No issues with juniors playing on Sunday but as Stallion said Saturday's are a much more socially friendly time slot for men/women in their 20's & 30's to play.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Have been looking through the a-grade leagues in sydney for this year and unless i am missing something it looks like there has been a collapse almost across the board. The conferences now include parramatta clubs and not many at that while the reviously larger list of clubs from Wests and canterbury areas has been greatly reduced. Am i missing something or is this indeed the reality now?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can't comment on what the NRL Development Officers do in schools. However, whatever they are doing (surely positive) is not resulting in these junior players joining clubs in their local metro comp. It would be great to grow the game in the affiliated states so that league could truly become a National game.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/20/happened-rugby-leagues-missing-25000-players/

Seniors wise league should be played on Saturday's! No issues with juniors playing on Sunday but as Stallion said Saturday's are a much more socially friendly time slot for men/women in their 20's & 30's to play.

Not our experience, nrlwa got funding for a DO in the SW three years ago. We’ve gone from one jnr club to 6 in that short space of time in that region.

• Australind Cowboys
  • Eaton Cowboys
  • Bunbury Titans
  • Dalyellup Rhinos
  • Busselton Broncos
  • South West Warriors

siv

First Grade
I think a good start would be for the NRL to fund ALL representative fixtures players costs from U16s through to Test matches

Eg ASSRL
the Country Divisional matches
State and National fixtures

Rather than asking parents to foot $600 to $1000 etc costs

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think a good start would be for the NRL to fund ALL representative fixtures players costs from U16s through to Test matches

Eg ASSRL
the Country Divisional matches
State and National fixtures

Rather than asking parents to foot $600 to $1000 etc costs

Not sure I agree with that. We can’t just expect the Nrl to pay for everything. Money doesn’t grow on trees. I feel it should be an obligation that falls on Nrl clubs/states that are looking after that area. Or the Nrl takes it out of the clubs funding to pay for it? The clubs benefit the greatest from representative players at that age through potential contracts. Now I think the Nrl could help further with help for rep kids under the age of 16 though. When i say help, maybe flight/accom discounts through airline/accom companies and clothing apparel companies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nobody really cares for AFL other than ex melbournites. AFL is a numpty game. Boring as - like soccer and sadly cricket.

And yet AFL, soccer and cricket are three of the most watched and attended sports in the world? The world is an unfair place lol

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Of course the afl do this well but recently a news article peaked my interest about grassroots. I couldnt be arsed to find the article but it was along the lines of that McDonald’s is supplying vouchers to man of match junior grassroot afl teams. The Nrl needs to get onto this and have major sponsors for grassroots rugby league competitions and touch for that matter. It would be incredibly beneficial to both parties to have private companies help spread the Nrl word and put extra money into grassroots. Junior grassroots sponsorship and airline sponsorship are 2 major issues that need to be rectified ASAP.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesnt it happen? In my godsons soccer and afl clubs they have vouchers from gamesworld or maccas or similar for 3 or 4 player awards each game.

Latest posts