What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put a fork in Scotland, they're done

Maybe because the north east clubs wouldn't want to travel to northern Scotland, or even anywhere in Scotland.

And vice versa. The catalyst for Aberdeen folding was Edinburgh forfeiting because they didn't want to go or couldn't get a team to go two and a half hours to Aberdeen. That's about the same distance as Edinburgh to the north east clubs. Aberdeen to the north east is five hours.

roughyedspud

Coach
I've tweeted the Aberdeen warriors asking if they'd reform too join the north east premier Division,they,whoever is incharge of their Twitter,said they would be interested if clubs would travel up to them

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah I dunno about looking further afield for games when the main issue is no one will travel up to Aberdeen.

jim_57

Staff member
Yeah I dunno about looking further afield for games when the main issue is no one will travel up to Aberdeen.

Differnce being the English clubs would assumedly be relatively more stable clubs as opposed to broke Scottish clubs filled with Union off season players. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Pommy

Coach
Differnce being the English clubs would assumedly be relatively more stable clubs as opposed to broke Scottish clubs filled with Union off season players. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In the north east I wouldn't be shocked if there were a lot of off season Union players in the League set up as well.
Newcastle Falcons is certainly a bigger draw than Newcastle thunder and you would assume that carries over in to grass roots.

roughyedspud

Coach
There seems to be abit of a push from the RFL in the north east,like I said earlier most,if not all of the teams run junior RL teams,I saw a article on the RFL site about 1000 kids taking part in a junior RL festival recently...and there's a newcastle/north east academy team that plays in the SL academy league.

The grass roots looks strong imo

roughyedspud

Coach
Ps....I reckon we'd struggle to get a thousand kids turn up to a festival in a supposed hotbed like Oldham...or even wigan

roughyedspud

Coach
A idea I've just floated on TRL...

I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea if scotlandRL figure out a way of putting 4 stable Scottish teams together and have them play in the RFL north east premier Division?

The north east structure seems fairly stable,though stand to be corrected, most teams run u14s & 16s as well as the 8 team open age premier division..

Putting 4 Scottish clubs,Aberdeen Inc,into that structure would do them the world of good imo...and when the Scottish teams play each other that could form a " 4 team side conference" which would be for the Scottish title,as a work around the RLEF domestic league criteria

Edinburgh eagles have announced they've joined the north east premier division :)

jim_57

Staff member
Clubs that can would be crazy not to use close by more established comps if/when they can. National borders shouldn't define which comp a team has to play in, with Saluzzo & now Edinburgh hopefully the precedent is set that clubs close enough to existing stable comps can apply to join them for more reliable and stable competition.

Pommy

Coach
I hope they can get some momentum going with football in Scotland on its arse now should be a great time to make inroads.