What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AB De Villiers retires from all international cricket

TIGER14

Bench
One of the all time greats. It's a shame he never got a World Cup, thoroughly deserved one.

Bazal

Post Whore
I thought the great man deserved a thread of his own.

South Africa batsman AB de Villiers has retired from international cricket, via a sudden announcement four days after completing another IPL season with Royal Challengers Bangalore.

De Villiers, 34, made his announced public via a video, in which he said "I am tired".

More to follow

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23580261/tired-ab-de-villiers-retires-international-cricket

Probably the most talented cricketer I've ever had the pleasure of seeing play, an absolute freak of a player and it's a shame his career has sort of petered out with a whimper after his injuries....

TheParraboy

Staff member
Reading through that article, doesn't look like he is gonna chase the money on the t20 circuit

but continue play domestIc cricket in SA, how good is that for them

Bazal

Post Whore
Reading through that article, doesn't look like he is gonna chase the money on the t20 circuit

but continue play domestIc cricket in SA, how good is that for them

Yeah....I'd love to see him in the BBL, though.

Come on AB, that and the IPL is only like ten weeks off the year mate :p

Tommy Smith

Referee
One of the genuine all time greats.

A genius with the willow in all 3 formats; a world class fielder; and a very handy wicket keeper to boot. Oh and a quality bloke and role model.

You'll be missed AB!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
One of the genuine all time greats.

A genius with the willow in all 3 formats; a world class fielder; and a very handy wicket keeper to boot. Oh and a quality bloke and role model.

You'll be missed AB!
Also claimed test wickets as well.

An absolute freak and one of my favs ever to watch.

That ton he slammed off us in the series just gone was a batting Masterclass.

Massive loss for the Saffa’s.

Eelectrica

Referee
SA's chance of winning the ODI World cup just walked out the door.

Great player to watch in any format of the game, even if he was kicking our butt more often than not when fit.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
The fact he announced his retirement without the need for a farewell game or any of the theatrics speaks volumes about the class of the man

One of the all time greats, easily the most visually pleasing batsman to watch in recent times, he made it look so effortless at times when others around him were struggling (that last Aus vs SA tour is a primary example)

He will be missed by the cricketing public in general but this leaves a huge dent in the SA team going forward, they're a different prospect without AB in their side

blaza88z

Coach
Don't read cricinfo fellas

The cancer that is known as Indians trying to be relevant is well and truly happening

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
a great player one of the best ever whose career will be tarnished by ball tampering convictions

JJ

Immortal
He's perhaps the only guy I've ever seen, who quite literally could play any shot to any ball - freak. In terms of bats, in my lifetime there are only two people that I would be genuinely excited to watch bat - as a kid that was Viv, and as a so called adult de Villiers

Thought he might continue with ODIs, but he's more than earned the opportunity to do whatever the f**k he wants.

billygilmore

Juniors
Great player, could score 10 of 300 balls to save a test or walk in in the 38th over and smack 150 of 44 balls, freak.

vvvrulz

Coach
Huge loss to cricket, today's most versatile batsman by some distance.

He's been around long before the big four, started out somewhere in 04/05 and achieved insane things along the way.

One innings that will always stand-out (along with the obvious ones) is the 2007 WC where chasing 370 odd they were actually on target when ABD opened the batting and launched a ferocious onslaught. He was just short of a ton when a freak boundary run-out ended it and turned the match for good. One of the few times Australia were challenged in that WC.

Bazal

Post Whore
I know people say "oh it was only the West Indies" but that record ODI hundred was absolutely unbelievable.

I'll never forget him sweeping Jason Holder (I think) from outside the offside wide line for six behind square and just doing it effortlessly. Like I said, a genius and a freak