What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V Panthers

Drag Queen

Bench
Spot on mate thinking the same thing .Specials to be leading about half way . I have stated before can we play any better than our first 7 games ? I don't think we can as you say we have peaked . Other teams are ready to pounce , we are just trying to keep afloat ....[/QUOT
I think DeBelin should have been rested 3 weeks ago. I am now hoping that he missed origin and is even rested against Canterbury. We nee a fit and firing DeBelin. I think that he wanted to play to push his origin chances.
I rarely agree with you Frank but you've hit the nail on the head. JDB should have been rested a couple of weeks back. It'll be interesting to see how Fittler chooses his team now.

I'm going to put it out there. I'm a die hard St.George man and one of the few supporters of Mary, but tonight I am left embarrassed.

I'm not going to go straight on the hate as we're running first and our top 17 have played some great footy all season which has put faith back into all of us faithful, and that first half tonight was tough, hard and fast but the lack of heart in the second half tonight tonight just really hurt to see.

20,000 people on the hill would trade places with any of that 17 in a heart beat, it pains me when I watch no effort like tonight. These guys have no idea how privileged they are to wear that jersey.

Lets start with Hunt. Post match he said it was a cork and he was ok, so he went off purely to keep his origin chances alive and left his team without any direction. Unlike JDB who played until he was busted.

The forwards didn't aim up at all in that second half. Soft sideways runs that made zero impact. Gingerly getting to their feet for slow play the balls and in turn slow service from dummy half which give Widdop no space or time to get a decent 5th tackle option away. Most sets we were still on our half by the 5th, unlike Penrith who steam rolled us set after set.

Widdop tried his best but the guy had nothing tonight. As I said above, no forwards going forward, bad service from dummy half and his partner on the side lines. I felt for him as he was trying but his players gave nothing.

Maybe I'm just disappointed as this year they've given me hope, but if you can't get up for a top of the table clash with Origin selection looming, then we have no chance come finals time.

Challenge to the guys. Sleep tight, re group and remind this comp why we're leading it.

Tonight was embarrassing and disgraceful

The Penrith forwards all night hit the ground on their front and got straight up to play the ball, as much as I hate the wrestle, turning some of them on their back would have been nice at some stage.

That being said, they must have the fastest defensive line in history, cause they seem to hit our forwards as they caught the ball all night.
Either that or there was no 10m rule tonight.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'm going to put it out there. I'm a die hard St.George man and one of the few supporters of Mary, but tonight I am left embarrassed.

I'm not going to go straight on the hate as we're running first and our top 17 have played some great footy all season which has put faith back into all of us faithful, and that first half tonight was tough, hard and fast but the lack of heart in the second half tonight tonight just really hurt to see.

20,000 people on the hill would trade places with any of that 17 in a heart beat, it pains me when I watch no effort like tonight. These guys have no idea how privileged they are to wear that jersey.

Lets start with Hunt. Post match he said it was a cork and he was ok, so he went off purely to keep his origin chances alive and left his team without any direction. Unlike JDB who played until he was busted.

The forwards didn't aim up at all in that second half. Soft sideways runs that made zero impact. Gingerly getting to their feet for slow play the balls and in turn slow service from dummy half which give Widdop no space or time to get a decent 5th tackle option away. Most sets we were still on our half by the 5th, unlike Penrith who steam rolled us set after set.

Widdop tried his best but the guy had nothing tonight. As I said above, no forwards going forward, bad service from dummy half and his partner on the side lines. I felt for him as he was trying but his players gave nothing.

Maybe I'm just disappointed as this year they've given me hope, but if you can't get up for a top of the table clash with Origin selection looming, then we have no chance come finals time.

Challenge to the guys. Sleep tight, re group and remind this comp why we're leading it.

Saints of George , you are one of those chaps who believe in gulping the full tablespoon of Caster Oil and so we all should . Agree with all you have said and can only add that the honeymoon period is well and truly over .

Frank Facer

First Grade
Jesus really?
You think kicking straight to their fullback all night and him killing us was the right move?
Any man and his dog could see the message should have gone out “stop doing that” but no, they continued.
That a PLAN B
Do you think that Mary instructed our players to kick the ball straight to DWZ all night?

Frank Facer

First Grade
The Penrith forwards all night hit the ground on their front and got straight up to play the ball, as much as I hate the wrestle, turning some of them on their back would have been nice at some stage.

That being said, they must have the fastest defensive line in history, cause they seem to hit our forwards as they caught the ball all night.
Either that or there was no 10m rule tonight.
The 3 games that we got beat this year, the opposition was off their line in defence very early. I am questioning if the refs are keeping opposition sides onside against us.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The 3 games that we have lost this year were all to teams who were in great form, but produced their best performance of the year against us. The 3 games we lost this year, the other teams scored first and we struggled to get on the front foot after that.

The 3 games we lost were all to teams in form in front of their home crowds.

We actually did try a few grubbers in behind the defence, but I think our outside backs are too slow to take advantage of the grubbers in behind the defensive line.

Hunt and DeBelin were both injured in 2 of our loses. Sims was bandaged up for tonight's game. We definitely should rest our injured players until they are fully fit again.

Last edited:

rednwhites

Juniors

Perfectly put mate. Hunt definitely putting QLD first and that grinds my gears. JDB was another poor selection by Mary. Blind Freddy could see that weeks ago. Widdop was outdone by great tactics from the other team, but always tries. Forwards are falling away as they do every year. That hope you and I hold will quickly fade if the team don't stand up soon.

We lost a game I thought we should win this time last year against the Dogs. We went down quite feebly in fact. They are a team in disarray and even if they turn up I will be expecting a clinical win from our team, after a bye. This isn't about complacency, it's about dominating because we have proven we can grab this season by the throat. Perform again like we did tonight and it's a long fall from the top.

John moz

Juniors
I hate state of origin time year after year .

A DISGRACE AND HAVE LOST OUR SPOT ON FOR AGAINST NOW 2ND A LOT WAS TO PLAY FOR TONIGHT.

The 3 games that we got beat this year, the opposition was off their line in defence very early. I am questioning if the refs are keeping opposition sides onside against us.
I think you can blame Gould, Fittler, Johns and co for that one.
They tried to crack down on offside play at the start of the year and the refs got howled down by the commentators for too many penalties, that has now gone, the teams know it, offside is now the rule of the day.

SGMax

Juniors
Dragons have not been in good form for several weeks now.
We contributed to the loss by running one out, poor kicking, not controlling the ruck, and playing injured players.

Having said the above, I believe a great game was ruined!!
Sure Panthers had great line speed, it was too good to be real.
I am sure they were off-side most of the game.
There is no way they can be on top of our players one off the ruck all game and not be taking off early.
I could see the Panthers off side on some occasions but for most of the game, the camera angle doesn't give you a look at the defensive line 10m back.

The Panthers were allowed too much latitude in tackles often pushing back 5m and wrestling for several seconds after the "held" call.

The refs allowed Dufty to get man-handled after being tackled, Nightingale to be hit high in the head before being forced out, Nene getting the ball stripped by 3 defenders and called a loose carrry etc.

Before this gets called a big whinge, I am disappointed that we cannot judge the Dragons'effort against these unfair tactics. The Dragons definitely played poorly but I can't think what they could have done with the defence sitting on top of them all night.
I think they did extremely well to be only 1 try down at half time.

On a good point, I was pleasantly surprised with Lawrie's work (his tackle on the kicker was fine btw).
I don't think he is the dominant forward we need just yet but worth keeping and developing further.

Can't believe how in-love the commentators were with Penrith, always making excuses for them and calling any errors as harsh or unlucky.
Hope this game doesn't affect the team's confidence and positivity for the rest of the year.

Rant over, try to salvage the rest of the weekend with the kids.

getsmarty

Immortal
Big guns injured as Panthers issue second-half beat down to Dragons
Local Sport
r0_0_2024_1286_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH NIGHT: James Maloney and Tyrone Peachey come to grips with Dragons fullback Matt Dufty on Saturday. Picture: AAP

SO what'll it be Freddie? Or more specifically, who will it be following the Panthers 28-2 win over the Dragons on Saturday night.

The Panthers win will likely be enough for Nathan Cleary and James Maloney to be given the keys to the Blues bus, with Cleary scoring a crucial first-half try and having a hand in another.

Maloney also looked dangerous throughout, and booted six goals, though his six missed tackles provided some, perhaps unwanted, food for thought for Fittler.

The Blues coach was supposed to have all the headaches but it was Maroons coach Kevin Walters, who called the match for Fox Sports, that was left reaching for the aspirin when Ben Hunt left the field five minutes into the second half.

A lock for the Queensland No. 7, Hunt hobbled through the first half on a corked right thigh and emerged for the second half with the injury heavily strapped. He tried to play on but was replaced by Kurt Mann five minutes after the resumption.

Walters was the first to greet Hunt when he left the sheds on fulltime, but the 28-year-old told reporters he'll be fine to play in Origin I at Melbourne.

Tariq Sims also returned for the second stanza with strapping identical to Hunt's and bravely soldiered on before eventually succumbing in the 62nd minute.

Jack de Belin also sent a scare through the Dragons and NSW camps when he left the field with seven minutes to play after copping a knock on his injured left hip.

He was replaced by Sims who limped out the clash but McGregor said none of injuries were serious.

“[Hunt] got a bump on the leg, Tariq got a bump on the leg, they were affected but they won't be in doubt for [Origin] selection or when we play next,” he said.

“If you had a film on [Hunt and just watched him you wouldn't leave him out there. It's got to be the welfare of the player to, not only winning a game of football.

“He was limping around and he wouldn't have been as a effective as he needed to be. To put added pressure on himself for the team, it's not something a coach should do for a player.

“It's a corked leg so they usually settle in a week. Jack de Belin re-injured an injury he's already got but I'd say he'll be OK to.”

Hunt's absence had a clear impact on his side's attack, with a Gareth Widdop penalty goal the Dragons only points, the first time they've been held try-less since round 14 last season.

Tyson Frizell and Paul Vaughan all came through unscathed which was likely all Fittler needed to see from them while Reuben Campbell-Gillard was outstanding, with his 79th minute try the exclamation point on his pitch.

Cam McInnes was at his industrious best but didn't land a killer blow in his battle with Damien Cook for the NSW No. 9.

Bench hopeful Tyrone Peachey – who had a major hand in Cleary's first-half try – had a good night against Euan Aitken in their centre battle, but that may well pose for questions for Fittler than it answers.

McGregor will have a few questions of his own following his side's second loss in their past three outings heading into a 16-day lay-off. It saw the Panthers literally draw level with the Dragons in top spot on the ladder with an identical points differential.

“At halftime there wasn't too much in it,” McGregor said.

“We had a [bad] read on our edge and they got that line break and scored off it. Other than that it was pretty even

“In the second half they were much more dominant. Their line-speed was good, they were more physical than we were. They dominated field position, they halves played over the advantage line and they were just too good on the night.

“That last 25 minutes was ugly to be honest. That's where all the points came. We didn't maintain the standards we've set for the first 11 weeks.

“It's disappointing, but that's footy, it's a journey over 25 weeks. We would've liked to have played better going into a bye, there's no doubting that.

“We knew how important this game was, and we prepared like that, we just didn't go out an play as good as we should've.”

The hosts peppered the Dragons try-line for much of the opening stanza but had no points to show for it until Maloney broke the stalemate with a penalty goal in the 22nd minute.

It took 11 more minutes before Cleary posted the first four-pointer, beating three defenders on an incisive run to the line after a break from Peachey to take an 8-0 lead into halftime.

Widdop broke his side's duck with a penalty seven minutes into the second stanza but Maloney booted his own four minutes later to re-claim a six-point buffer.

The lead swelled to 12 when Christian Crichton carried three defenders across to score in the south-western corner, with Maloney nailing the sideline conversion.

Viliame Kikau barged across with 11 minutes to play as the lead ballooned to 20 before Campbell-Gillard closed the show.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ssue-second-half-beat-down-to-dragons/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons fall to aggressive Panthers
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Sat 26 May 2018, 09:29 PM

NSW hopefuls Nathan Cleary and James Maloney have combined to help steer Penrith to a dominating 28-2 victory over the St George Illawarra Dragons in the top of the table clash at Panthers Stadium on Saturday night.

Brad Fittler was in the crowd as more than 10 players chased Origin selection on Monday and the NSW coach would have liked what he saw early from the both sets of forward packs with some heavy hitting.

Dragons pair Jack de Belin and Tyson Frizell were men on a mission early, while opposite number Reagan Campbell-Gillard played the entire opening 40 minutes in the tense encounter.

But a hip injury late in the clash to de Belin soured an otherwise clean night of injuries for the Blues.

However Queensland coach Kevin Walters, who was in the commentary box, had reason to be concerned as he watched Ben Hunt hobble around the paddock in the first half with a corked quad.

Hunt insists cork won't keep him out of Origin I

The likely Maroons halfback in waiting returned following the break but lasted just five minutes before leaving the field as the Dragons struggled with any cohesion in attack without their playmaker.

The Panthers now share top spot on the ladder with St George Illawarra after 12 rounds, with both sides going into a bye next week.

The game lived up to its hype with the defensive display matched by both sets of halves earning repeat sets for their respective sides in the opening 20 minutes, but Penrith's overall line speed and effort proved too good against a scrappy Dragons outfit in the end.

The nil-all scoreline was finally broken in the 23rd minute with a penalty goal – Maloney retaining the kicking duties ahead of Cleary.

A simple carry across field from Christian Crichton – who had barely been spotted in the opening half – caught the Dragons napping down the left edge with the Bulldogs-bound winger finding Tyrone Peachey unmarked for a 50-metre dart down field.

The Panthers extended their lead to 8-0 the following play with Cleary cutting back off the right foot to split through Cameron McInnes and carry Matt Dufty over the line.

Cleary slices through Dragons defence

Makeshift centre Peachey held his own against Origin candidate Euan Aitken, who was solid with limited opportunities out wide.

In a show of respect to the Panthers' defence, St George Illawarra opted for two points after half-time with Maloney penalised for taking out a runner from a Gareth Widdop kick.

Penrith regained their eight-point lead with Jeremy Latimore penalised for being offside in the 50th minute directly in front.

Penrith's energy grew as the second half went on with Maloney popping his nose through the line before finding Isaah Yeo in support for another line-break assist. Some quick passing the following play between Corey Harawira-Naera and Dean Whare led to Crichton getting space out wide, and the winger carried three defenders over the tryline.

Maloney slotted the sideline conversion for a 16-2 lead.

Penrith grew another leg as the Dragons attack failed to ask questions.

The match was sealed when a barnstorming Viliame Kikau powered his way over the line carrying four defenders, before a crafty Wayde Egan kick delivered Campbell-Gillard a try on the siren.

News & Notes: It was the first time since round 14 last season that the Dragons did not score a try in a game, and the first time the Dragons have failed to make a line break in a game since 2014... Penrith and St George Illawarra are not just level on competition points at the top of the Telstra Premiership ladder, they also both have a +109 points differential... Dragons stars Ben Hunt (corked quad) and Jack de Belin (hip) now in doubt for Origin selection... Crowd: 21,565.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/26/dragons-fall-to-aggressive-panthers/

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Ben Hunt, Jack de Belin, Tariq Sims injured in Dragons loss to Panthers
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

MjY1MjAxODEzfGN4by5jfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzA1NmUxNmIzZjcwZWZmMzdiZmE4M2MzOWZmNmQ0NTFmfDI2NTIwMTgxMw==

Ben Hunt leaves the field injured.Source: FOX SPORTS
ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor reckons his injured trio of stars won’t be in any doubt for State of Origin selection following Saturday night’s heavy 28-2 defeat to Penrith.

Ben Hunt (cork), Jack de Belin (hip pointer) and Tariq Sims (cork) all failed to finish the game, succumbing to their injuries throughout the second half in what started out as an enthralling battle at the foot of the mountains.

Both Hunt and de Belin’s injuries were reaggravated from previous weeks, but McGregor believed they’d be available for Origin selection.

“(Hunt) got a bump in the leg and Tariq got a bump in the leg,” McGregor said.

“They were affected but won’t be in any doubt for selection or when we play next.

“Jack de Belin re-injured an injury that he’s already got but I’d say he’d be okay too.”

MjY1MjAxODEzfGN4by5jfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzc1YWU4ZmM5NGVkOTc1ODIxOWE1ZTdiOGViOWVmNjFkfDI2NTIwMTgxMw==

Jack de Belin leaves the field with a hip injury.Source: FOX SPORTS

Hunt spoke to Fox League post-game and revealed he tried to get back on later in the game but wasn’t able to.

“It’s not too bad, it’s got a pretty bad cork in there,” Hunt said.

“I tried to free it up a bit at halftime but I just couldn’t get it going.

“If I am picked (for Queensland) I think I’ll be pretty right (to play).

“It’s 10 or so days from now and it’s only a cork so hopefully I get it right.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/0340e14d2b3656bd17e98b41a420b68b

getsmarty

Immortal
Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims have given fellow NSW hopeful James Maloney a pasting in the Dragons clash with the Panthers
New South Wales
  • May 26, 2018 9:38pm
  • by Mark St John
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
MjY1MjAxODEzfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2ZhZDNjMTMzMmY4NzY0Nzc5MmUyMzA3MzQyYjc5MGFhfDI2NTIwMTgxMw==

Dragon's Tyson Frizell tackles Penrith's James Maloney.Source: News Corp Australia
ALL three could be in the NSW team announced on Monday, but there was no love lost between Tyson Frizell, Tariq Sims and James Maloney during the Panthers clash with the Dragons.

The Dragons clearly had a game plan to get at the Panthers five-eighth and were seemingly in his face whenever he caught the ball.

MjY1MjAxODEzfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmZveHNwb3J0cy5jb20uYXUvcG1kL2ltYWdlcy8yMDE4LzA1LzI2LzY4MTM5NV82NDB4MzYwX2xhcmdlXzIwMTgwNTI2MjA0NjU5LmpwZ3wyNjUyMDE4MTM=

Frizell rag-dolls Maloney

To his credit Maloney kept bouncing back onto his feet and led his team to a convincing victory, but he was clearly rattled on a number of occasions by the big Dragons’ enforcers.

Frizell and Sims’ tactics are not unlike the game plan that Brad Fittler could very well employ to get at the Maroons halves in Origin I.

MjY1MjAxODEzfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmZveHNwb3J0cy5jb20uYXUvcG1kL2ltYWdlcy8yMDE4LzA1LzI2LzY4MTM3NV82NDB4MzYwX2xhcmdlXzIwMTgwNTI2MjAxOTI2LmpwZ3wyNjUyMDE4MTM=

Sims flattens Katoa

0:22
Ironically Frizell and Sims if they are picked, will be attempting to rattle the cages of their club teammate Ben Hunt and his likely halves partner Cameron Munster.

However in their clash with the Panthers it was possible teammate Maloney who felt the full force of their hits on a number of occasions.

One thing is for sure if all three do find themselves at NSW training on Tuesday, Maloney might have a few choice words for the Dragons duo.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/7b31835245e35169360ff6566d83c805

Latest posts