What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Bennett

possm

Coach
It's time. Repeating the same mistake three years in a row says we do not have the team in good hands. We need a more professional coaching staff and fitness people. Preparing our NRL squad to peak fitness for round one and then flogging them to perform at intensive pace week after week without decent forward rotation and bench management is a faulty plan. Employing a compressed backline defence without speed and size on the edges is also a suspect plan.

While ever our forwards are on top and our first choice halves are fit, we can skate through with this current squad. But when our forwards are fatigued and carrying injury, it seems the wheels fall off. Unfortunately our coaching staff cannot see this or do not want to recognise this.

It's time to employ Bennett again. I did not think we would have such a chance again but the stars are lining up in a way that it could actually happen if we wanted it to happen. The Broncos want Bellyace for 2019, Bennett wants to keep coaching and the Dragons desperately need a professional and experienced head coach. So it's time and the time is right. Let's go!

ouryears

Bench
It's time. Repeating the same mistake three years in a row says we do not have the team in good hands. We need a more professional coaching staff and fitness people. Preparing our NRL squad to peak fitness for round one and then flogging them to perform at intensive pace week after week without decent forward rotation and bench management is a faulty plan. Employing a compressed backline defence without speed and size on the edges is also a suspect plan.

While ever our forwards are on top and our first choice halves are fit, we can skate through with this current squad. But when our forwards are fatigued and carrying injury, it seems the wheels fall off. Unfortunately our coaching staff cannot see this or do not want to recognise this.

It's time to employ Bennett again. I did not think we would have such a chance again but the stars are lining up in a way that it could actually happen if we wanted it to happen. The Broncos want Bellyace for 2019, Bennett wants to keep coaching and the Dragons desperately need a professional and experienced head coach. So it's time and the time is right. Let's go!
I would love the club to grab Wayne.

But they know he wants total power and you know.. our boys club won't want that.

They did it in 2009 when we got Wayne, but the boys club is even more entrenched now.

There is a bit of hope, but I doubt it mate.

St Georgio

Juniors
Yes it is a very simple equation but our CEO is a dumb f**k that doesn't even know how to calculate baldness × 1 = baldness!

Dragon for life

Juniors

Yes possum it’s like cracking the whip at the 3000m mark in the Melbourne cup your not going to get there.... unless your secretariat!!!
Is Mcgregor secretariat or a horses ass?? Triple crown coming our way... JJ, Premiership and World club challenge. Sorry just dreaming of past years. Lol

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Respectfully, I would pass on Wayne.
Alrhough he was our saviour in 2010, time, I'm afraid, has even passed him by.
Bennetts ciaching hasnt changed or evolved and even with a plethora of stars in his squad, his tactics and plays are predictable. And like us, has relied on a few individuals brilliance to get over the line recently.
Personally, I like the look of whag Seibold has done with Souths. Yeah he's a rookie, but a rookie with pedigree, and thats a big difference IMO. Even Brenban is doing some good things with the basket case that is the Titans at least he's not afraid to drop players who are out of form.
Why in God's name we let JD go, I have no idea, but with Bellamy likely to move to the Broncos, and talk of Chinless at the Storm, it leaves JD a little in the dark. However, he is a St George native, has coaching pedigree, commands and receives the respect of the players and actually has more than 1 game plan and is a great game manager.
Being rookie is not a disadvantage, just ask Souths, its just who that rookie is thats important.
So for me its out with old and in with the new.

sco22

Juniors

Hey Possm

I would love to see coach back as the boss and even have JD unfortunately I don’t think that’s going to happen. I think we will have a repeat of what has happened I’m the past we have a very good side but a coach that under performs what a shame bad management.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Three years? (More like four)

There are a few barriers against Bennett's return, but in my opinion the main one is that he rejected an opportunity to return a few years ago. Unfortunately, Wayne's not getting any younger and I'm unsure if (at this stage of life) he would want to live in NSW again.

It's probably a case of been there, done that.

As for McGregor, what an unmitigated disaster he has been from day one.

(Should I really say what I think?)

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The so-called "brains trust" at SGI-presumably Mary, Hornby and Young and their fitness advisers, just continue to confound me with their inflexible, one size fits all approach. The bubble (if there was ever one around Mary) has now well and truly burst.

It is no coincidence that the two players who went off injured Hunt and De Belin (again) were injured in the same areas they were injured a few weeks ago- De Belin is getting needled to play for his hip flexor and Hunt has never recovered from the cork he picked up. He was down on form against the Raiders last week as well and we were dead lucky to win that one. This preoccupation with using the same 16 players each week (and just trusting the rotating 17 th with a few token minutes) is now coming back to bite us.

Also , last night I observed to my son that Frizzell had hardly touched the ball in attack- leading me to question his fitness as well, and if he was fit, why our hardest running and most damaging forward was not being given the ball when our forwards were being smashed in four player tackles without any go forward. I then watched him closely and yes- the 2nd man block plays consistently used him as a decoy but that seemed to be the limit of his use.

I wrote a post earlier this year warning that those who had bought grand final tickets hadn't factored in how this team with a roster skinny on depth would cope with injury and rep fixtures when the coach had no faith in his ISP team and refused to give them any meaningful role. Unfortunately
I fear this is just the beginning of our decline.

While a case could be mounted that Penrith's enormous line speed was being assisted by referees turning a blind eye to the ten metres- particularly in the second half- the scary thing about this defeat was that we were at full strength and they were without their first choice full back (Dylan Edwards) a rep winger in Josh Mansour damaging centre Waqa Blake, hooker Wallace and bench forwards McKendry and Tim Browne. They seem to have 5-6 damaging edge runners (Yeo, Kikau and all their hyphenators) to our 1-2.

I fear that the early success we've had will buy Mary another season and that the cracks in his and his adviser's approach will again be papered over. Without 3rd party payments, our roster depth is also a problem we will struggle with and there seems little chance that the new ownership model is going to help with this.

Bench
A lot of supporters on this forum were ecstatic over our start to this season but there was quite a few of us were worried about maintaining the power game and the effect on our forwards, the same as 2017.
Hunt was injured three weeks ago and subsequently his form since then. JDB was also injured and he has been playing since below what we know he is capable of.
Our CPU has continually passes these players as being fit to play.
Souths and now Penrith have shown how to beat us by adapting the sale power game and we don’t seem to have any answer to that.
Our club has not shown any faith in our juniors. They have not been given the chance off the bench.
McIdiot has failed miserably in his use of the bench.
It’s time for him and Hornsby were sacked. Hornsby should have players ready to make the jump to the bench.
We have the cattle but we don’t have foresight to manage our top 30 players. Just look what Souths and the Tigers have, a decent coach.
Our forwards cannot maintain the power game for the whole season, unless you want players carrying injuries into every game.
LAM is going and I wish him well but he is going to be a big loss.
I don’t think that Hasler is an option. We should be looking at a coach like JD to come into our club or even Bellamy. I don’t think Bennett is an answer.
We have the cattle we just need a coach with a plan.
McIdiot will probably get an extension, if that happens we will not be moving forward we will just just be marking time.

John moz

Juniors
Saint bennett for me any day over our shit boys club we have now.The team we have now is 100% better than 2010 would win 1 or maybe 2 Grandfinals.

Gareth67

First Grade
Saint bennett for me any day over our shit boys club we have now.The team we have now is 100% better than 2010 would win 1 or maybe 2 Grandfinals.

Agree John moz , but there is 1 thing I would change - the backline , I would swap the 2010 backline for our present set of hard tackling speedsters .

St Georgio

Juniors
I still think The Second coming of Bennett could come to fruition. I believe we have the roster to win it over the next few years, McGregor will have two cracks 18/19, the club would be crazy to keep him on beyond that if he fails
Bennett could slot straight in with already having close working relationships with Graham/Widdop and Hunt/K Sims, it would be Grahams last hoora to retire and grab an NRL title.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Respectfully, I would pass on Wayne.
Alrhough he was our saviour in 2010, time, I'm afraid, has even passed him by.
Bennetts ciaching hasnt changed or evolved and even with a plethora of stars in his squad, his tactics and plays are predictable. And like us, has relied on a few individuals brilliance to get over the line recently.
Personally, I like the look of whag Seibold has done with Souths. Yeah he's a rookie, but a rookie with pedigree, and thats a big difference IMO. Even Brenban is doing some good things with the basket case that is the Titans at least he's not afraid to drop players who are out of form.
Why in God's name we let JD go, I have no idea, but with Bellamy likely to move to the Broncos, and talk of Chinless at the Storm, it leaves JD a little in the dark. However, he is a St George native, has coaching pedigree, commands and receives the respect of the players and actually has more than 1 game plan and is a great game manager.
Being rookie is not a disadvantage, just ask Souths, its just who that rookie is thats important.
So for me its out with old and in with the new.

I have to disagree with your assessment that Bennett has a plethora of stars at his disposal. I mean, his squad doesn’t feature a good quality, established halfback.

Oh, that’s right.

Latest posts