What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trick plays- illegal?

kdalymc

Bench
there is a video going around of some Indians pulling off a baseball like trick play where the keeper pretends to let it go thru for a couple of byes, the slips fielder jogs toward to boundary to chase, the batter proceeds to run, when the keeper suddenly stumps him.
i was thinking awesome, why isnt this seen much, but browsing down the comments people mention that this would result in 5 runs, and is 'going against the spirit of the game'.

is this true? and if there was a minor example, ie not on purpose but keeper genuinely couldn't see the ball but ended up finding it in your pad/ on the ground, would the umpire just call it a dead ball, or would be up to his discretion.

sounds like would be a cool play, but i guess cricket is a gentlemans game and would be/is frowned upon...

Timbo

Staff member
I remember we got a stumping in a club game once off our opening quick, the bloke was batting about a foot out of his crease, left it alone outside off, didn’t return inside his crease and our keeper tiptoed up and took the bails off.

The umpire considered it, and ruled because he hadn’t returned into his crease and the keeper had moved immediately, it was fair.

Barkley

Bench
Here’s the video...it doesn’t look first class, seems to be a lower grade game.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Rules have recently changed:

Fielders intentionally deceiving or distracting a batsman (for example, mock fielding where a player pretends to throw or pick up a ball) can now be penalised.

Sauce:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cricket.com.au/news/international-cricket-council-rule-changes-mcc-bat-sizes-send-offs-drs-umpires-call-bouncing-bat/2017-09-26?mode=amp

Be interesting when a bowler threatens to throw the ball back at the batsman after fielding from his own bowling

We might see a lot of sin bins reckon..

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
An Auckland WK did that in the domestic game once. Caught the ball, threw his head back as if he'd missed it, batsman stepped out so he whipped the bails off.

Was many years ago, it may have even been during the Cricket Max period.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Be interesting when a bowler threatens to throw the ball back at the batsman after fielding from his own bowling

We might see a lot of sin bins reckon..

That bowler isn't deceiving if its legitimate to get the batsman back in his crease. Where excessive or thrown with no chance of a run out, falls foul of a differing point of the rules. The bowler throw back with no hope of a run out was an ugly side of the game crossing into intimidation that needed sorting out, and I think they recently made an effort too.

The purpose of the deceit and mock fielding rule is to stop shenanigans of pretending to have the ball when not, and pretending not to have the ball when in fact do.

vvvrulz

Coach
This is one of those stupid grey areas where I wish common sense would prevail around spirit and maintaining a gentleman's game. There's three umpires and a match referee, we shouldn't need distinct laws to prevent cricketers acting like a cheap prat. I believe officials should be handed the power to reject dirty tactics based on common sense, otherwise you could be writing laws until the cows come home.

The handled-the-ball fiasco in the recent U20s WC is another example, a simple "nope not accepting that, piss off" would eliminate that sort of appeal from the game right away.

kdalymc

Bench
Meh, f**k the “gentleman game” bull shit.
Would add a bit of something to the game if we could do this

Latest posts