What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mate against mate as Slater, Smith fall out

Vee

First Grade
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...as-slater-smith-fall-out-20180602-p4zj4o.html

They’ve been as tight as almost any two players in the game – mates since their earliest professional days – but the relationship between Billy Slater and Cameron Smith is not what it was.

And for Slater, the deterioration in their friendship is something of a mystery. It’s a hard thing to comprehend because there have not been cross words between the pair, as far as we are aware.

Expect denials to flow, but Smith has withdrawn from their friendship to a point where people are telling me about it.

Slater is said to be taken aback.

It must be a recent thing as well because Smith and Slater were close during last year’s World Cup – as were their respective wives, Barb and Nicole.

We called Slater’s agent, George Mimis, about it, but he point blank refused to discuss it. Smith’s manger, Isaac Moses, has not returned calls we made to him last year so there is no point in discussing the matter with him, or trying to tell Smith we were raising it publicly.

You have to wonder whether Smith is as tight as he was with other teammates, too. When Smith announced a few weeks ago that he would retire from representative football, Greg Inglis asked me if it was true because Smith didn’t tell him he was going to quit.

Inglis couldn’t believe his ears. Keep in mind, this was the Queensland captain-in-waiting finding out the news from a journo.

Smith’s behaviour in recent times has surprised a lot of people. The most obvious example was his decision to quit rep football just weeks out from the start of the Origin series.

The timing has left plenty in the game baffled and while everyone in the media will chat about it, they won’t dare bring it up or ask out loud about it because Smith is a such an influential and respected figure in the game.

Smith has ample media outlets to respond and explain if he wants. But the idea of him not wanting to beat the Blues one last time and have a farewell series, finishing at Suncorp Stadium, is mind boggling.

When you look at Slater and how he has handled his exit from the rep scene, you can’t help but think that Smith could have learnt from that.

Slater would never ask for a series of performances to be dedicated to him – or even to consider himself worthy of a “do it for Billy” campaign – but Slater’s presence, and the desire to send him out a winner, are huge bonuses for the Queenslanders.

Smith’s exit, on the other hand, is seen by many to be about Smith and not his team or the state he has served with such aplomb for so many years.

It is Danny Weidler, but parts of it do fit with other stories doing the rounds about the real story behind Smith's rep retirement.

no name

Coach
I reckon there is more to Smith retiring from rep footy than we have been told.
In saying that, you can’t just make up a story about people having a blue because you can’t find out the real answer.
Even if it is true, there is no concrete evidence to back it up, so keep a lid on it until there is.

Weren’t there rumours about smith doing the rounds a few months ago? Suspect that has something to do with it. If what I heard was true can understand the direction of the disdain from one party

butchmcdick

Immortal
It's my understanding that the bloke who wrote this is an absolute f**king f**ked f**kwit.

Nobody will come right out and say that because he is so respected and influential amongst the league community

Others could look to and learn how to handle scoops

His work especially with SBW and Benji speaks for itself

Life's Good

Coach
As I incorrectly posted elsewhere this bloke writes New Idea levels of sh*t.
I’m surprised there’s no quote from his tongue target, Khoder Nasser.

Diesel

Coach
Would like to read Smith doing an article on Weidler...

They’ve been as tight as almost any two so-called journalists in the game – clickbait dickheads since their earliest days – but the relationship between Weidler and Slothfield is not what it was.

And for Slothfield, the deterioration in their friendship is no mystery after Slothfield’s free happy ending voucher at Stilettos was used. It’s a hard thing to comprehend because the pair like to share, as far as we are aware.

Expect denials to flow, but Wedlier has withdrawn from their friendship to a point where people are telling me about it.

Slothfield is said to be taken aback.

Saxon

Bench
It's an article by Dunny Widdler. 75% of what he writes is rumour and vicious gossip, and the other 25% is sucking ass to his favourites and the limited number of players who are prepared to give him the time of day. And - like Slothfield - the bloke is also prepared to trash the game and those involved with it to sell column inches.

I don't know enough to say whether there is any fragment of truth to this story or not; what I do know is that if Dunny wrote "sky's blue, grass is green", I'd look outside to check .

mozza91

Coach
Smith is a wanker no doubt but Weidler is 10 times worse. He should do the world a favour and jump off a cliff.......................and make sure Rothfield and Massoud are at the bottom of the cliff when he does it.

David brown

Juniors
Who gives a f**k if they like or hate each other anyway... I hate 90 % of the merkins I work with...

kdalymc

Bench
I don’t even get what this threads about, I gave up reading that novel after 2 paragraphs said nothing of sense.

Latest posts