What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt is No7 for Queensland

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think that one of the major reasons that Ponga has taken back the kicking duties for Newcastle, is because it will help his cause for Qld selection, as early as this season.

Drag Queen

Bench
Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb--mccullougha-180531701.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Hunt ready for biggest test alongside former teammate
Author
Joel Gould
Timestamp
Tue 5 Jun 2018, 02:01 PM

When Ben Hunt first met Andrew McCullough he was worried sick that he would beat him to a Queensland representative five-eighth jersey.

That was 16 years ago and it was mate against mate. State of Origin footy is often billed that way, but on Wednesday night it will be mate alongside mate when 28-year-old blood brothers Hunt and McCullough line up for Queensland against NSW at the MCG in the halfback and hooker positions.

It was in 2002 that Hunt and his now close friend were representing their regions in the same position when the competitive juices in both of them flowed.

"I remember clearly that I was playing for Capricornia and Macca was playing for Darling Downs and we were both playing five-eighth for our regions at a carnival," Hunt told NRL.com.

"He played really well and I thought he was going to get picked for Queensland at five-eighth. I was feeling shattered. Then they ended up picking both of us – him at fullback and me at five-eighth. So we ended up playing our first game together as 12-year-olds for Queensland.

"[Now Australian batsman] Chris Lynn was the halfback, so it was an interesting little team. He was a very handy footy player and ended up choosing cricket, and that has worked out pretty well for him."

huntb-and-mccullough-12062951-b.jpg

Ben Hunt and Andrew McCullough in action for the Broncos in 2012. :copyright:NRL Photos
It worked out pretty well for McCullough and Hunt too. They were snapped up by the Broncos and played together for a decade before Hunt linked with the Dragons this year on a multimillion-dollar deal.

Cameron Smith passed the ball to Cooper Cronk on more occasions in modern times than any other hooker/half combination in a liaison that won countless games for Melbourne, Queensland and Australia. Hunt's long-standing relationship with McCullough has him convinced that union will also reap rewards on Wednesday night.

"It is a massive boost for both of us,” Hunt said.

"We are both very new coming into Origin, so the confidence we have in our combination after playing together for 10 years is going to be a key.

"He is a great talker and one thing we've learned over the years is that we are willing to give each other a spray and tell each other what we want if we need something. We will go to each other and have a crack if one of us is not doing their job."

And "doing his job" is something Hunt said McCullough would most definitely do for the Maroons. He has blazed a trail behind the scenes that Hunt has tried to emulate.

"We lived together for a number of years and he is one of the most dedicated and hard-working blokes that I have ever come across," Hunt said.

"We'd have fun together off the field but when it came to training - whether it be ice baths, stretching and all the little things that make a difference - he didn't miss a beat.

"I wasn't as strict. The older I got the better I got with it, but he was always like that from the get-go. He really helped me out with all that. I saw him doing the hard yards… and getting results, and that helped me get mine."

Why McCullough won't copy Smith

The duo played with and against each other in school and rep sides as youths and were two of the last players brought to the Broncos by master recruiter Cyril Connell, a fact Hunt reflects on with gratitude and pride.

"It is pretty special and I am forever grateful to Cyril for that," Hunt said.

"The first time I met Cyril was out at Blackwater [in Central Queensland] when he watched me play out there.

"I was a Broncos supporter and to have someone telling you they want you to be part of the club as a 14- or 15-year-old is special.

"Cyril was getting on [in] years and when I'd come down to Brisbane he'd pick me up at the airport and we'd drive over a few gutters on the way to Red Hill, but we never had too many bad crashes."

You don't see Hunt have too many "bad crashes" on the field these days either. As he prepares to start in a Queensland jersey for the first time it will be as a complete halfback. He's taken the best advice from those he respects to mould his game, including Dragons halves partner Gareth Widdop and his Maroons coach Kevin Walters.

"I have gotten lucky that Kevvie likes me so much and is around as Queensland coach at this time in my career," Hunt said.

"It goes back to my time at the Broncos when he coached me and I always felt he got the best out of me as a player and gave me the right directions. He thinks I have a great running game and encourages me to do that."

It is the decision-making nous of Widdop that Hunt said he had adapted to his own play and hoped to bring to the table on Wednesday night.

"He's a special player Gareth and I definitely think he's helped my game," Hunt said.

"I have played with a lot of great players but he is up at the top. He has a knack for knowing when to get the ball and what play to put on."

Maroons roomies put Kangaroos stoush behind them

Twelve months ago almost to the day Hunt was dropped by the Broncos to play Intrust Super Cup with Ipswich.

“It has been a strange but exciting 12 months, from going back to Ipswich to getting the opportunity to play for Australia," Hunt reflected.

"It is definitely a year I am not going to forget in a hurry.

"I am ready for Origin. With that Queensland team it is harder to get into than get out of at times. Once you get in there and do a job for Queensland they like to show faith and stick with their players. I've had to wait my turn, play some good footy and now I have my opportunity. It is all on me now."

Witness Australia's greatest sporting rivalry when Origin comes to the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday, June 6. Bronze tickets available from $49 here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/05/hunt-ready-for-biggest-test-alongside-former-teammate/

getsmarty

Immortal
STATE OF ORIGIN

Hunt, Munster insists Maroons' best yet to come
Author
Joel Gould
Timestamp
Thu 7 Jun 2018, 12:01 PM

New Maroons halves Cameron Munster and Ben Hunt insist their best is yet to come as they target becoming a long-term combination like the two Queensland legends they have replaced.

Munster ran strongly and Hunt showcased his much-improved kicking game in Wednesday night's 22-12 loss to NSW in the Holden State of Origin series opener at the MCG but both halves told NRL.com they were far from satisfied with their performance.

"I definitely think there is room to grow for us," Hunt said.

"It was our first game together as halves and the more time we can get in camp to work on our combinations the better our direction around the field will be.

"I thought we lost our way a little bit tonight and didn't get to the places we wanted to get to, and that falls back to me and Cam. We need to be better because it is up to us to get the team around the park."

Hunt's kicking game has come a long way at the Dragons and he showcased just how far on several occasions against the Blues.

The halfback produced a deft kick into the in-goal area that resulted in a try to Dane Gagai early in the second half and also secured a 40/20 with a raking long kick. He threatened on other occasions with the boot and combined well with Felise Kaufusi on the Maroons' right side.

Match Highlights: State of Origin I - NSW 22 QLD 12

"It didn't think I was far off the pace. I wasn't unhappy with my game," Hunt said.

"I still need to be better in a couple of little areas and get my hands on the ball a bit more."

Munster was a threat when he ran the football but will focus on improving his game management and linkage with left-edge centre Greg Inglis in game two.

"Coops [Cooper Cronk] and Johnathan Thurston were a great combination but they spent years together," Munster told NRL.com.

"Hunty was outstanding for us and I was OK in patches. I feel like I can get better in attack and give GI more ball so we can become really dominant on that left edge.

"It was our first game together so we can only get better. Hopefully, Kevvie picks the same side for game two and we can get to Sydney and rattle some cages."

Hunt, who had a disrupted preparation due to a corked thigh, said he relished his first start in a Queensland jersey but conceded the blowtorch was now on the Maroons to square the series in Sydney on June 24.

"It was fast and a good learning experience," he said.

"I know we lost but I really enjoyed the occasion. I feel like I am up to Origin and I can grow from here.

"The pressure is on us now. We need to get into the next camp, put our heads down and train really hard so that we can be better."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/08/hunt-munster-insists-maroons-best-yet-to-come/

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt ready to bounce back from Origin disappointment
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2080_2635_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons teammates expect a strong performance from Ben Hunt on Monday

HE suffered a major disappointment in Origin I on Wednesday, but Ben Hunt’s Dragons teammates haven’t felt the need to really around their No. 7 this week.

Hunt was one of Queensland’s best in their 22-12 loss to the Blues and fullback Matt Dufty believes he’ll bounce back quickly against Canterbury on Monday.

“Benny’s pretty professional, he’ll keep the Origin stuff at Origin and club footy at club footy,” Dufty said.

“He’ll want to come out and prove a point that he’s in a good team, he’s still a great player and I think he’ll be ready to rock and roll on Monday.”

It was a sentiment echoed by back-rower Tariq Sims, who was part of the Blues squad.

“I don’t think I need to pick him up, I thought he was one of Queensland’s best,” Sims said.

“He kicked the ball really well, he took the line on, he was always asking questions and always probing. I think out of the Queensland side he’s one of the guys who played really, really well.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5458776/hunt-ready-to-bounce-back/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-180606-gp-61.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Hunt named in Maroons' Origin II squad
Author
Neil Cadigan
Timestamp
Mon 18 Jun 2018, 10:46 AM

Maroons selectors have kept their nerve with the inclusion of 20-year-old prodigy Kalyn Ponga on the bench Origin II to be played in Sydney this Sunday the only change to the Queensland side originally selected for Origin I.

Queensland prop Dylan Napa will be given until Wednesday to prove his fitness with Melbourne's Tim Glasby on standby to come straight into the 17.

If Napa plays, Bill Slater's return at fullback for Michael Morgan, who has suffered a season-ending bicep injury, and Ponga replacing Anthony Milford on the interchange bench will be the only changes to the side beaten 22-12 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in game one.

Coach Kevin Walters said he had no concerns over Slater recovering fully from his hamstring injury and playing his 30th game for Queensland, claiming the Test fullback could have played for the Storm on Sunday.

Ponga, the most brilliant player on rugby league's horizon who will play State of Origin after just 24 NRL appearances, will be the least experienced Maroons player since Brent Tate made his debut in 2002 after just a handful of games for Brisbane Broncos.

"He's a been a standout in the competition," Walters said of Ponga.

"I think everyone's seen how good he's been for the Newcastle Knights. He's got the potential to be a long-term player for Queensland and I think he has earnt the right to put on a Maroons jumper.

Walters gives Napa Wednesday deadline

"It's time for him to show what he can do, without putting too much pressure on him.

"For Kalyn it's a great opportunity for him. We're very grateful for having him in the side this time around and we expect him to do his job for Queensland on Sunday."

Walters and selectors Gene Miles and Darren Lockyer have stuck by the pack that was dominated by the Blues big men for much of the match in Melbourne, particularly prop Jarrod Wallace who was under pressure after a below-par performance in attack in game one.

They will miss Napa's aggression if he succumbs to an ankle injury suffered on the weekend, even though he was disappointing in the opening Origin clash.

If he misses, Walters is likely to move Josh Papalii into the starting front row, with Josh McGuire moving up from lock and Jai Arrow starting at No.13 the other most likely option. Either way, Glasby would come off the bench.

Maroons squad (in likely starting order): Billy Slater, Valentine Holmes, Greg Inglis (capt), Will Chambers, Dane Gagai, Cameron Munster, Ben Hunt, Jarrod Wallace, Andrew McCullough, Dylan Napa, Gavin Cooper, Felise Kaufusi, Josh McGuire. Interchange: Kalyn Ponga, Josh Papalii, Coen Hess, Jai Arrow. Tim Glasby (18th man).

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/18/hunt-named-in-maroons-origin-ii-squad/

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-180606nh51.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Hunt, Munster the Maroons' men of the moment
Author
Neil Cadigan
Timestamp
Thu 21 Jun 2018, 09:50 AM

Seizing the moment. It's an ability that makes NRL players into Origin heroes. They appear so rarely in those frantic 80 minutes, and they disappear so quickly.

Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith have been the best exponents of the skill for a decade.

Now they're gone.

In their place are two Queensland halves who understand exactly what that innate ability can mean in State of Origin. Yet they've had little time to confront it. Certainly not together.

Cameron Munster and Ben Hunt know they didn't "nail" the science of grasping the moments as well as they aspired to in Origin I. Yet they learned, in their first game as a halves partnership after a poor preparation in which they trained just twice together, how important it is to not let a second chance slip.

Hunt is to the point.

Game two in Sydney on Sunday is the biggest challenge in the career of the Telstra Premiership's form halfback. He doesn't hide from that.

"Without a doubt," he says of that observation, adding that he will go into game two a whole lot better prepared than he was in game one when he missed the first few training sessions because of a corked thigh.

"It's a massive responsibility – my job to lead the team around the park and get us to where we need to be and call the plays.

huntb-180606-gp-20.jpg

Queensland halfback Ben Hunt. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"I know there is a great hole left there by a couple of the greats [Thurston and Cronk]. I need to come out and do my part now.

"I need to run the ball more. I didn't take opportunities enough in the first game."

In other words, he didn't convert or create "the moments".

Neither, feels Munster, did the Maroon in number six. The door opened just a little bit, he can remember, but they weren't good enough the charge through.

And for so long Queensland have suffered that so rarely compared to the Blues. How often did Thurston, Cronk or Smith nail "the moment" while NSW had a passing parade of halves trying to find that status?

"It's about taking the moment when you know it's there," explains Munster of those flashes of attacking opportunities that disappear as quickly as they emerge on the Holden State of Origin stage.

"There are times when people know when there's a moment [that can decide a match] that comes and you have to take advantage of. But you have to create moments as well.

"Everyone knows how quick Origin is and, before you know it, it's finished.

"You need to be in the moment, and own it; you can't be in and out of the moment. I felt sometimes in the first game we were in and out of the moment and we can't do that against a quality NSW outfit."

Everyone knows how quick Origin is and, before you know it, it's finished.

Cameron Munster
So what is the innate extra sense or skill of seizing those rare moments that matter more in Origin than any other match?

"It's an awareness thing, for sure," says Munster.

"But it's also a matter of basically just being smarter with how we do things in the heat of battle. There was miscommunication between players at times and it hurt us in game one.

"It's all about little things that turn into big things.

"That's something I have to take on board and it's something that Smithy prides himself on – the little things in a game that turn into big things. For him they eventually did in Origin.

"And we're talking about losing two greats of the game in the halves [Thurston and Cronk] who are known for big moments in their careers. It is something they'll be most remembered for.

"That doesn't come overnight. It comes with experience."

munsterc-180620711.jpg

Maroons five-eighth Cameron Munster. :copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
Hunt, 28 and four years on from making his Test debut, and Munster, 23 and with a premiership and four Origin games behind him, had only played twice together - in game two last year when Hunt came off the bench and Munster was five-eighth and for Australia against Lebanon in the World Cup when Munster played centre and Hunt came off the bench.

Both have shown enough, and often enough, that they are capable of walking away from ANZ Stadium on Sunday as saviours.

Munster, too, admits it's somewhat a watershed match for him after progressing so far in the past season and a half.

"I guess people see a lot in a player when they're the front-runner but it's always good to see what people can do when their backs are against the wall," he said. "That's the test for me now; I know.

"Ben and I just need to get more combination; we didn't have a lot of time together before game one.

"And then we had Billy [Slater] drop out. His return is going to be massive for us in the halves; his talent, talk and his experience.

"I have to let Hunty steer the team around and ask for the ball when I need it, and when I see something, grab it.

"He's the form halfback of the competition and he's got confidence out of that. If he brings that confidence on Sunday, we'll be fine.

"I think the critics were harsh on Hunty [after the first game]. I thought Ben Hunt was pretty good for us.

"He kicked a 40-20 from dummy half when we needed momentum and he got us on the front foot, and we got a chance to score on that set.

"We need to get more structure and shape and get more bodies in motion.

"That's something we, as the halves, need to get sorted.

"If we do that; hopefully we'll create those moments that can win us the game."

Don't miss Game II of Origin at ANZ Stadium on Sunday June 24. Get your tickets here

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/21/hunt-munster-the-maroons-men-of-the-moment/

blacksafake

First Grade
Fair dinkum, the pressure they put on him is ridiculous. How about the fact that Queensland have lost their 3 best, Slater on 1 leg, no Scott,Gillett & surrounded Ben with a pack of ordinary forwards.
I hope he kills it in a losing side.

epDragon62

First Grade
Fair dinkum, the pressure they put on him is ridiculous. How about the fact that Queensland have lost their 3 best, Slater on 1 leg, no Scott,Gillett & surrounded Ben with a pack of ordinary forwards.
I hope he kills it in a losing side.
Exactly the perfect outcome: Hunt is superb, nearly snatches the match from the clutches of defeat but alas, the Blues are victorious.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Benny is going to be under a seeeeerious amount of public scrutiny over the next week or two. The memes have already started.

Hope it doesn't go to his head and he can bounce back for us.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Benny is going to be under a seeeeerious amount of public scrutiny over the next week or two. The memes have already started.

Hope it doesn't go to his head and he can bounce back for us.
Watch QLD devour their own .Benny Hunt will be the scapegoat and be lucky to make Origin 3 . Back with the big red V ...great !!!

Latest posts