What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW origin side.

Crush

Coach
JDB was good.
I thought Hunt just caught and passed, Lockyer said Hunt needs to lift his game if he is picked for game 2 as he should have ran more. He showed footage of space in front of hunt who still decided to pass and not run

Not being critical as hunt is one of my favourites, but I was a bit disappointed overall.
Hunt did a fine job IMO. Other 'experts' agree too, he was given a 8/10 player rating. It is Munster who needs to lift his game and run more I reckon.

Crush

Coach
In light of the fact they lost they might actually regret playing him when not 100% fit
OT, cmon now. My point is Hunt is not "on one leg". SOO is the biggest game of the year and QLD would not select a player that was genuinely injured. Does he have a niggle? Sure he does. But if the QLD Origin team is prepared to play Hunt at halfback with a niggle even though they could have played any number of experienced talented halfbacks in that game I am sure as hell that little old SGI with no backup experienced talented halfback will be picking Hunt whilst he has this niggle.
Everything in this forum gets blown out of proportion because of the underlying hatred of McGregor (as a coach).
Hunt isn't playing on one leg. I am sure he will be there on monday and we need him to be because there is daylight between him and the next best option at SGI.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I thought Ben Hunt had a reasonable game, but clearly showed signs his corked leg is troubling him. Whilst his kicking game was good it was his errors in defence that concerned me. I really hope Mary will rest him and give him sufficient time to fully recover.
The Dragons need him more than QLD do.

ouryears

Bench
OT, cmon now. My point is Hunt is not "on one leg". SOO is the biggest game of the year and QLD would not select a player that was genuinely injured. Does he have a niggle? Sure he does. But if the QLD Origin team is prepared to play Hunt at halfback with a niggle even though they could have played any number of experienced talented halfbacks in that game I am sure as hell that little old SGI with no backup experienced talented halfback will be picking Hunt whilst he has this niggle.
Everything in this forum gets blown out of proportion because of the underlying hatred of McGregor (as a coach).
Hunt isn't playing on one leg. I am sure he will be there on monday and we need him to be because there is daylight between him and the next best option at SGI.
The way Lockyer was talking last night saying Hunt needs to do better, I think QLD wished they had chosen someone else.
Hunt wenk ok, but in origin you can't just go ok as the number 7.

He has been down on form for the past 3 or so weeks, why not rest him?

We need him playing 100%, not 70%

ouryears

Bench
Hunt did a fine job IMO. Other 'experts' agree too, he was given a 8/10 player rating. It is Munster who needs to lift his game and run more I reckon.
Lockyer is a QLD selector and picked out hunt last night saying he needs to improve the most.

He wasn't an 8, most gave him 6.5.

Sporting news.com
Ben Hunt - 5

Went into the game with heavy strapping on his leg. He took a while to get his kicking game going, but put in a brilliant grubber for Dane Gagai's try. Made a bad defensive read - then slipped over - when Latrell Mitchell powered over the line.

WWOS CH 9
BEN HUNT - 7

Got Queensland's second try of the night with a beautifully placed grubber behind the backs for Gagai to pounce on, but then kept going for the bomb to no success. Neat 40/20 late in the game gave Queensland a sniff.

SPORTING PULSE
Ben Hunt: 6.5 In his first start for the Maroons, Hunt looked at home – particularly with his pinpoint grubber for Gagai’s try. Hunt’s long kicking game kept his side well in the game.

But was found wanting up the middle in defence.

Last edited:
Lockyer is a QLD selector and picked out hunt last night saying he needs to improve the most.

Sporting news.com
Ben Hunt - 5

Went into the game with heavy strapping on his leg. He took a while to get his kicking game going, but put in a brilliant grubber for Dane Gagai's try. Made a bad defensive read - then slipped over - when Latrell Mitchell powered over the line.

WWOS CH 9
BEN HUNT - 7

Got Queensland's second try of the night with a beautifully placed grubber behind the backs for Gagai to pounce on, but then kept going for the bomb to no success. Neat 40/20 late in the game gave Queensland a sniff.

SPORTING PULSE
Ben Hunt: 6.5 In his first start for the Maroons, Hunt looked at home – particularly with his pinpoint grubber for Gagai’s try. Hunt’s long kicking game kept his side well in the game.

I liked WWOS "but then kept going for the bomb with no success"
Kept kicking to Tom who caught them all night, now who's game plan, and refusal to change said plan, does that remind me of?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Using player rating from so-called experts is laughable.
Say, for example, the score remained at QLD12-NSW8 then Hunt would have been a genius and given 9/10 for his grubber through and 40/20......brilliant game management etc.
He really only compounded when he was moved to hooker thats when the errors came in.
The point here is, QLD, like us in the past, are looking for a scapegoat for the loss and Hunt seems to be it. Nothing mentioned on how poor their forwards were especially Hess or how Chambers missed like a dozen tackles.
The same scrutiny would have been applied to NSW if we had lost, like, why play Debelin when he was injured or why so many debutants etc.
Some of these rating experts would be better off judging a Miss World competition at least you could hide bias behind the pretty face.
And for the record, I though Hunt did a good job, let down by his pack and to a lesser extend Munster.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Not sure if someone has pointed this out before on here so apologies if I am repeating - but how the f**k did we let Damien Cook out of our grasp...a junior from Helensburgh who grew up wanting to be a dragon, played juniors and perhaps a couple of FG games and then was let go when I believe Rein was the preferred long term choice. That is an example of very poor judgement by someone (anyone know who made this call?) as he has proven to be an outstanding first grader and his effort in his first SOO was enormous, particulary that sensational try he was mostly responsible for. Congrats Damien, Helensburgh is proud of you mate.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Crush he is clearly restricted in his running, watch the SOO game again, his kicking game was pretty good but no running at all.

MILEY CYRUS

Juniors
Why do you need player ratings from so called experts? They are rubbish. Watch the game and decide for yourself.

Hunt played very well. Was QLDs best. Threw a couple of good balls, strong kicking game, and didn't die with the ball. Agree he needs to take the line on more but the cork doesn't help.
If anything his team mates let him down. Chambers with the dropped ball and kicking on the 2nd or 3rd. Morgan did a grubber on the 2nd that went dead after the 40/20. Gagai dropped ball 10m out.

If Cleary kicked a 40/20 the media would be loving it. He had a quiet game yet they praise him.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Sims still in the hunt for first Blues jumper
Local Sport
r0_0_3753_2736_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

KNOCKING ON THE DOOR: Tariq Sims remains in the frame for an Origin debut having been the Blues 18th man in camp for game one. Picture: AAP

HE’S got a wardrobe full of Blues training gear but Dragons forward Tariq Sims insists he’s not kicking stones despite a long-awaited Origin debut remaining just out of reach.

The 28-year-old Gerringong product was first called into NSW camp as a boom rookie in 2011 and was 18th man for the Blues in game two of the 2015 series.

He reprised that role at the MCG on Wednesday, with many considering him desperately unlucky to miss selection in Brad Fittler’s final 17.

It would be enough to leave most people bitter but Sims was anything but on his return to Dragons training on Friday, saying he’s chomping at the bit to get back on the park against Canterbury on Monday.

“I was happy to play my role as 18th man for the team,” Sims said.

“Obviously I’d love to be playing but the game plan we went with was to pick the players that we did and it worked out pretty well for us on the night.

“We had a really good camp, everyone knows Freddie’s a real character and we all have a laugh but, behind closed doors, he’s very strategic.

“He knows exactly what he wants out of his players and he knows how to get the best out of his players. I had to sit down and watch the game, I probably had the second best seat in the house other than playing, so I’m really looking forward to this weekend.”

Being named 18th man presumably makes him first cab off the rank should injury strike any of the Blues forwards in the lead-up to game two.

Sims said he’s happy to have forced his way back into the frame, but won’t be taking anything for granted until he’s on the playing pitch in a Blue jumper.

“It’s nice but I’m under no illusions that my spot in the side’s ever safe,” Sims said.

“I think the whole team has the same attitude. We’ve still got two more games to go in the series and the feeling after the game was that the job’s only just started.

“Hopefully we can get through this period and come into game two and three nice, fit and healthy.

“It’s one of those things where you have to keep playing good consistent football for your club. That starts this weekend against the Bulldogs.”

The rest of the Dragons Origin contingent returned to training on but won’t take the park until Sunday’s captain’s run at the earliest.

Ben Hunt and Jack de Belin carried niggles into game one, with the latter sporting huge strapping on his troublesome hip, but Sims expects both to play on Monday.

“I think that was just more precaution,” Sims said of de Belin’s strapping.

“We had a really long day of travel [on Thursday] and he was a bit sore but, other than that, it’s fine.

“He got through the game well, he got a couple of big knocks on it and said it pulled up sweet, so I’m looking forward to seeing him back here for captain’s run.

“All the Origin boys pulled up sweet so I’m looking forward to getting back out on the paddock with them and playing some footy.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ll-in-the-hunt-for-first-blues-jumper/?cs=302

possm

Coach
Not sure if someone has pointed this out before on here so apologies if I am repeating - but how the f**k did we let Damien Cook out of our grasp...a junior from Helensburgh who grew up wanting to be a dragon, played juniors and perhaps a couple of FG games and then was let go when I believe Rein was the preferred long term choice. That is an example of very poor judgement by someone (anyone know who made this call?) as he has proven to be an outstanding first grader and his effort in his first SOO was enormous, particulary that sensational try he was mostly responsible for. Congrats Damien, Helensburgh is proud of you mate.
Havilli for Cook who then moved on to the Dogs. I know you can't keep them all however, someone needs to be able to identify the keepers.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
trbojevict-try-1806065445.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Blues player ratings: Rookies shine on big stage
Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Wed 6 Jun 2018, 10:35 PM

The Blues have prevailed in Origin I with a couple of standout showings from their veterans and boom rookies. Here's how NRL.com rated the NSW 17.

1 James Tedesco: Best on ground and the biggest threat from the outset. Scored the first try and broke Queensland open at will with 224 running metres and 16 tackle busts. Threw in that sweet little short ball for Mitchell's game-turning four-pointer for just desserts. 9/10

2 Tom Trbojevic: Very safe on debut, especially under the high ball with Queensland putting the bulls-eye on him. Turned attacking weapon when he stripped Val Holmes and bagged one of his own. 7.5

3 Latrell Mitchell: Had the Maroons on red alert from the first minute. Wound up with a debut try, came extremely close to another, 11 tackle busts and a KO in what proved a great duel with Will Chambers 8.5

4 James Roberts: Quietest member of the Blues backline by some margin and came off second-best against Greg Inglis – though he's not alone there. Didn't see out the 80 minutes. 5

5 Josh Addo-Carr: Lightning in a bottle. Had cracked double figures for tackle busts by half-time and was right where he needed to be for the match-winner. 8

Match Highlights: State of Origin I - NSW 22 QLD 12

6 James Maloney: A diamond-cut performance despite two massive rocks in the middle. Controlled the contest and had a hand in three tries, exactly what was needed from the Blues' most senior man. The no-look pass for Holmes's intercept and the forward pass that set Queensland up to start the second half were not. But otherwise superb. 7.5

7 Nathan Cleary: Played second fiddle but didn’t look overawed by the occasion, even with Greg Inglis trying to bury him beneath the MCG cricket pitch. Above all he played tough, more than held his own in defence. 6.5

8 David Klemmer: Ripped in from the kick-off with 90 running metres in his first stint. Strong stuff from the heart of the engine room. Well and truly outpointed his opposite man Dylan Napa. 7

9 Damien Cook: His first dummy-half scurry cut Queensland to pieces and it was more of the same whenever he put the foot down, or boot to ball for that matter. Topped the tackle count (55) for the match. A great debut. 9

10 Reagan Campbell-Gillard: Didn't look himself to start, lacking punch and turning his back into carries. Did improve as the contest wore on. 6

11 Boyd Cordner: Everywhere early and hit his holes at a hundred miles. Great kick pressure and pumped out 156 running metres – easily the most of any forward on the paddock. 7

12 Tyson Frizell: Big, fast and physical throughout. Got through more than his share of the defensive load with 46 tackles. The Blues best big man. 7.5

13 Jack de Belin: Busy as always without the ball, not all that much with it – did do well around the ruck though with quick play-the-balls throughout. 6.5

Interchange:

14 Paul Vaughan: Maintained the rage from the bench with some good carries and 20 tackles in a 25-minute stint. Strong debut up front 6.5

15 Jake Trbojevic: The Blues' best off the bench and didn't return once injected after 20-odd minutes. Shored up the middle with 38 tackles. 7

16 Angus Crichton: Busy as well off the pine with 37 tackles, none more important than the second-half cover effort when Inglis and co threatened down the left edge. 6.5

17 Tyrone Peachey: Only saw eight minutes action late in the piece but still popped up everywhere as you'd expect. 4

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/06...in-player-ratings-rookies-shine-on-big-stage/

Crush

Coach

Sporting news.com
Ben Hunt - 5

WWOS CH 9
BEN HUNT - 7

SPORTING PULSE

FOX SPORTS
BEN HUNT — 8
Best player in a Maroons jersey not named Greg Inglis. He made some tremendous defensive plays in the first half before settling into his role as the orchestrator of Queensland’s attack. Hunt’s kicking game was spot on, particularly in setting up the second-half try for Gagai.

DAILY TELEGRAPH
BEN HUNT- 8
Sorry I dont have access to telegraph so cant paste but Ill take Best Goldens Boots word for it that they gave him an 8

NRL.COM
Ben Hunt: 7
Set up Gagai's try with well-timed kick; ran well; busted out of three tackles; kicked a 40/20. Perhaps more positional kicks needed in first 40 minutes. 7

So there you go Ouryears, just a little bit of balance to the argument.
FoxSports / NRL.COM / Telegraph
VS
Sporting News.COM / Sporting pulse / WWOS

BennyV

Referee
Well it must be a reflection on how little faith the QLD team have in their back up players as they selected Ben Hunt on one leg(as you say). Why would they do that?
Who is QLDs backup half? DCE? I don't blame them for playing Hunt!!!

Anywho, the point isnt what QLD are doing. Hunt played well on Wednesday, didnt get to show off much of a running game (either due to leg injury or not getting opportunities) but controlled the game well and was a big part of QLDs fight. His move to hooker was what sealed the game for NSW, IMO.

But QLD arent playing the long game. They want a guy on the field for 3 games and thats it. The Dragons are (hopefully) aiming for a Top 4 finish and a premiership and if Hunt does have a niggle that could be resolved with a week or 2 off to freshen him up for the back end of the season and the finals, the Dragons need to be considering that. Cop the potential short term pain for the long term gain. This has been Mary's issue for years with managing a squad over the course of a season.