What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R14 Sat - Knights 16-18 Roosters @ McDonald Jones

Round 14: Knights v Roosters

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
Nathan Brown to get the chalkboard back out with "Pass it to Ponga" written on and start tapping it with the chalk. Gotta remind some of the Knights boys of the game plan.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Hats off to the Roosters, they had enough class on the field to win it not playing their best footy. If we had one or two of our key players on the field we could have won that. We were brave, but no leadership when it mattered.

The most frustrating thing for us is that if we could jag a few wins, we could make a legitimate charge for the finals once Pearce returns. 2 point loss there but it would have been massive in the context of our season if we could have found a way.
You just need Pearce back and you're absolutely a finals standard team.

He cops a lot of shit from the mong brigade but he's an outstanding first grade halfback.

And very influential as evidenced by how you're going without him. Aa a half he probably touches the ball more than anyone else in the comp.

Win the next 3 against very ploddy teams, then get Pearce back and the Knights can still make the finals imo.

mxlegend99

Referee
Ponga is already one of the top 5 players in the game imo.

He's a transcendent generational talent.

Freddy was the same and he was thrown straight in at 18 so Ponga is old enough at 20.

And yes, I'd pick him over Slater.
Cleary is only 20.
Mitchell is only 20.

A young and inexperienced NSW side is the perfect time to debut him. 20 is plenty old enough. Inglis was 19. Folau was 18. Age certainly didnt hurt them.

TheFrog

Coach
Ponga is already one of the top 5 players in the game imo.

He's a transcendent generational talent.

Freddy was the same and he was thrown straight in at 18 so Ponga is old enough at 20.

And yes, I'd pick him over Slater.
They could put him on the wing and bring Gagai in, and drop Chambers. But they won't even do that and they definitely won't drop Slater if he's fit and neither they should.

Cleary is only 20.

A young and inexperienced NSW side is the perfect time to debut him. 20 is plenty old enough. Inglis was 19. Folau was 18. Age certainly didnt hurt them.

It's not his age, nor even his inexperience in first grade. It's that they have better options at this point in time in attempting to win the next game. His time will come. Maybe game 3 if the series is decided or maybe next year.

perverse

Referee
You just need Pearce back and you're absolutely a finals standard team.

He cops a lot of shit from the mong brigade but he's an outstanding first grade halfback.

And very influential as evidenced by how you're going without him. Aa a half he probably touches the ball more than anyone else in the comp.

Win the next 3 against very ploddy teams, then get Pearce back and the Knights can still make the finals imo.
I've always rated Pearce highly at club level, and he was in absolute stellar form for us this year - thriving with the leadership of the team.

I was over the moon when we got him. At club level he is elite, but for whatever reason he's never managed to translate that in the rep arena. I think my favourite quality is his competitiveness... but there's no real weakness in his game - he's everything you could want from your halfback. I really don't feel like the Roosters got that much of an upgrade shifting him, to be honest.

Noname36

First Grade
They could put him on the wing and bring Gagai in, and drop Chambers. But they won't even do that and they definitely won't drop Slater if he's fit and neither they should.

As a Blues supporter I’m fully behind playing Gagai in the centres.

On this game: such a shame Pearce went down because we would have played finals easily this year. Devasted for Buhrer too. I know every team gets injuries but we seem to get well beyond our fair share.

perverse

Referee
And just another thing on Pearce - how good can his combination with Ponga get over the next few years? Brown has a responsibility to put a class forward pack in front of these guys, because our spine at full health is plenty capable.

Noname36

First Grade
Nathan Brown to get the chalkboard back out with "Pass it to Ponga" written on and start tapping it with the chalk. Gotta remind some of the Knights boys of the game plan.

That’s where we missed Pearce the most. They were just passing the ball to whoever was next to them and hoping for the best.

Noname36

First Grade
And just another thing on Pearce - how good can his combination with Ponga get over the next few years? Brown has a responsibility to put a class forward pack in front of these guys, because our spine at full health is plenty capable.

Brown has acknowledged the massive need for props but I worry it will be like last year and none will want to sign. I don’t think Watson is a natural half but I really like his energy and I think he’ll thrive with Pearce next to him organising.

perverse

Referee
Brown has acknowledged the massive need for props but I worry it will be like last year and none will want to sign. I don’t think Watson is a natural half but I really like his energy and I think he’ll thrive with Pearce next to him organising.
We don't need a ballplaying 5/8th with Pearce and Ponga there, for sure.

Spot On

Coach

There is absolutely no chance of Kevin Walters letting Dane Gagai play centre in an Origin game. Ever.

Unless he has lost his mind or is being blackmailed with a heinous crime.

Noname36

First Grade

It's not his age, nor even his inexperience in first grade. It's that they have better options at this point in time in attempting to win the next game. His time will come. Maybe game 3 if the series is decided or maybe next year.

While the options ahead of him are more established, Qld were clearly lacking in creativity in game 1 and Ponga has more of that than any of their playmakers. Hell as a Knights and Blues fan I hope they never pick him but he’d at least make a better bench option than Milford who I’m assuming would be asked to play a similar role.

Apey

Staff member
Brownie’s half time speech-

“Don’t make me tap the sign...”

elicjtX.png

Valheru

Coach
I will take the 2 points at this time of year however we can get it.

Having said that the knights were stiff to lose tonight, they were committed abd stoic and would have beaten most of the other teams tonight

Frederick

Staff member
Roosters fans, who was missing from your team last night? Cordner and Matterson...anyone else of note?

Latest posts