What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst experiences/fights at the footy

Life's Good

Coach
Rarely go to junior footy games these days, just too many dickheads losing their shit at the kids, coaches and refs (who are often just kids themselves).

One time sticks out there was a big incident between my junior club and another teams parents, I was around 15/16 at the time and watching maybe an under 10s/11s game. A large mother from the other club approached one of the fathers of our club and proceeded to bite him and take a hefty chunk of his face off Mike Tyson style in the process... then he punched her out cold and it was on for young and old as you can imagine.

I finished playing shortly after that left the club but I’m pretty sure there was a lawsuit involved.

Also watching my younger brother take up reffing for one year, I used to go to games with him as some form as security after his very first game a group of parents threatened to bash him in the car park... this was after an under 8s game and my bro being about 14/15 years old

What is wrong with these people? Sadly, it happens all too often across a lot of junior sport. I’ll never forget a father admonishing his 8 y/o son in front of his teammates, other parents, opposition team and thinking if old mate is like that to his kid in the open then heaven forbid he must be a monster at home.

beave

Coach
I played footy out at Moorebank during my middle teens after moving down with my old man from NQ. I saw all kinds of shit playing in the canterbury district, we got spat on by parents of the opposition running out of the players race at Belmore during the finals, opposition players would wait for us after games to start shit in the car park, it was very eye opening for a kid from NQ that had never really seen that side of footy before. Tvl footy had its own issues but nothing like the shit I experienced in Sydney.

The worst thing I was exposed to though was playing at Berala, during the warm up we heard a train tooting it’s horn nearby on the train line and then a blood curdling scream from a woman. 5 mins later cops were screaming across from everywhere, one of the parents went over to see if everything was alright, apparently a chick had had enough and let the train take her life........ They should have called the f**king game off but they didn’t.

Perth Red

Post Whore
03439B31-7B3D-4C03-AC52-2BF4CCB47495.jpeg Watching games in England in mid eighties was always a risk. Been bricked at Halifax, coins thrown at us in Leeds, countless battles at the hull derby games but the stand out was the infamous 1981 Good Friday battle at boulevard when all hell broke lose. I was only eleven and scared shtless!

Pleased to say by the nineties it had calmed down and became a lot more sporadic but when hull and rovers fans get together there is usually some stink between the brain dead section.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
George Roses mum threatened my group. She was sitting behind us and got real pissed that one of my mates suggested George should take the shot at field goal during golden point. I think this may have been his debut match,

Reminds me of the Warriors vs Roosters game at Gosford a couple of years back, Dylan Napa spilled to pill at his own end and we gave it to him, some middle aged woman started yelling abuse at as, including telling me to “go back to NZ”. Got the last laugh when RTS scores the winning try in the final minutes, haha

WireMan

Bench
In the rugby my home towns ground was called the zoo by opposition players and supporters. So as you can probably imagine I have seen a fair few incidents.
All a bit nice now, i saw a pie eater have his shirt set on fire (whilst he was wearing it) but nothing to bad.

In the football watching united anywhere back in the day was a laugh a min. The biggest threat nowadays is from euro police.

In the rugby my home towns ground was called the zoo by opposition players and supporters. So as you can probably imagine I have seen a fair few incidents.
All a bit nice now, i saw a pie eater have his shirt set on fire (whilst he was wearing it) but nothing to bad.

In the football watching united anywhere back in the day was a laugh a min. The biggest threat nowadays is from euro police.

How do you think it’ll play out in Russia? I’m expecting some horrific violence in the stands

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Had rocks thrown at me while playing wing at Como.
Pub across the road.
Como crowd were blind
They missed me ... because Como were hopeless ...on and off the feild.
I was about 14 when I watched what might have been an A grade game there on a Sunday arvo.

Would have been no less than five all in brawls during the second half. It was great fun as a spectator.

kbw

Bench
Every club has feral deluded supporters that are utterly obnoxious.
Funny thing is its usually the ones that can't fight are the worst.

DIOGENES

Juniors
1961 Kurri Kurri Oval. West Rosellas flogged the Kurri Kurri Roosters.
I was 5 and wearing the Red and Green cardigan my granny knitted me.
As we walked out an adult (in retrospect, probably a 12 year old) spat on it and told me to "go and dip my eye in luke-warm Cocky shit"

David brown

Juniors
Funny thing is its usually the ones that can't fight are the worst.
Thats just people in General... Usually the merkins that couldn't knock the froth of a beer are the mouthy merkins.. People that can handle themselves are the majority of the time the humble ones...

Always had trouble at Como as a player, coach and supporter.

The mob on the eastern hill in front of the pub try to set records for baiting opposition players. It's usually made up of u18s players on the drink and a few reserve graders. In A grade I've seen wingers, who are the usual target of the abuse, jump the rope and start throwing them at least twice. I've seen good, tough, experienced players reduced to tears at the merciless abuse. That crowd was responsible for rendering Matt Hilder, who was going around for Cronulla Caringbah post retirement and ten miles too good for A grade, utterly useless.

kbw

Bench
I have heard all sorts of stories of how feral and disgraceful at times the Asquith Crowd are, but the only time I went there for SS and RM was this year and it was so calm and even felt family friendly.

Some of the funniest supporters are the West Magpies group that follow the Massey and ISP. They can be very funny and very unforgiving. Yet at the end of the game I have seen them applaude opposition teams as well as their own

_Johnsy

Referee
Walking into WIN stadium with a mate and his 9 year old, some hero Saints supporter grabs the 9 year old by his jersey and says "You're gonna lose today, merkin". Kid was 9.

On the NW hill at shark park, which is pretty lively with banter, a fat middle age souths fan cant cope with it and starts throwing haymakers at anyone nearby. He collects someone on the side of the head but falls over through the exertion and hits his head on the concrete.

Same hill. 14 year Dragons supporter does the same thing but manages to hit two people and then has to face the wrath of the entire hill by himself while shouting "YOU'LL NEVER WIN A PREMIERSHIP".

Last year on "Beer Hill" at Shark Park which is a wild old joint, some might remember footage of mosh pits erupting during the premiership year, a drunken teenager is being ejected by security who require assistance from the Police. He reacts to this by punching a female police officer in the face.

George Roses mum threatened my group. She was sitting behind us and got real pissed that one of my mates suggested George should take the shot at field goal during golden point. I think this may have been his debut match,

There was that woman at Origin pissing in her seat. That's up there.

Zac Strassers Mum I believe, imagine that a contracted players Mum doing that. All class. It must be something about urine & Broncos fans, 2003 I was at the Dragons / Broncs game. Sitting in the away supporters bay & some bogan dead shit QLD’er threw a cup full of piss down on the Dragons fans.

Timbo

Staff member
What is wrong with these people? Sadly, it happens all too often across a lot of junior sport. I’ll never forget a father admonishing his 8 y/o son in front of his teammates, other parents, opposition team and thinking if old mate is like that to his kid in the open then heaven forbid he must be a monster at home.

It’s not just league. I played Union as a kid and we had four parents banned - two of them were our coaches - for abusing a 13 year old ref after a game. I’d have been in the U9s at the most.

Sideline hero’s living out their dreams through their kids. To my parents credit, they pulled me out of that side immediately after.

Front-Rower

First Grade
The scences after that Tigers vs. Dragons semi in 2005 over in the Moore Park car park were pretty bad. I remember an all in where one bloke was on the ground with blood gushing out of all parts of his head.

Latest posts