What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Sharks @ Southern Cross Group Stadium

Who will win? Round 14: Sharks v Wests Tigers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigerm

First Grade
Just watched the replay, our week positions remain the 9 & 1, as most of the comments state. I thought we were the better team for most of the match, BUT we still lost, so it doesn't matter.
But I didn't think Taylor cost us anything with his game. However a 9 is required urgently, still think MM is worth a go.
I have said it before, Tui just isn't up to it. Though his second half was better.
I hope the Dog's players come this year.

Just on the coach, he has repeatedly said, that he still hasn't decided on his starting side for the year, so I think signings will continue for some time.
Generally, I am pretty happy with our efforts this year to date, still a chance for a top 8 spot.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I thought we were the better team for most of the match, BUT we still lost, so it doesn't matter.

Two of Brooks’ last tackle options killed us in the end. I still don’t know what he was thinking with that stupid kick which led to the Holmes try. What was even funnier was when stood there with his hands in the air disappointed that no one chased through the kick that no one knew was coming lol

Perth Tiger

Bench
I want to know who are the superstar rep players that Cleary is supposed to be recruiting?

In case any forgot we were such a basket case that we had to accept anyone who would sign with us this year. And the recruits have done their job which Ivan has clearly stated was their job, namely to change the culture of the club, become competitive in every match and create the conditions to start recruiting a higher caliber of player.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ivan has showed his hand pretty firmly by playing the useless Godinet over these two.

Just read that Isaac Luke is going to be forced out of the Warriors. Luke, Korisaou and Rein are probably the pick of the off contact hookers.

Pass on Luke- 31 years old and the Tigers have enough Dads Army types running around..

I rate Korisaou though..

Tiger05

First Grade
A few points by me, feel free to agree or disagree.

*Chee Kam earned his spot in the starting lineup but he’s since blown it and let’s face it he is better coming on as an impact player against tired forwards, or not at all.

*I’d run Gamble sooner rather than later, even if it means blooding him as fullback which might just work btw.

*I’d persist with Josh Reynolds at 5/8 Benji shouldn’t just replace him but deserves a bench spot.

*unless Mcillwrick is playing awfully in ISP it’s about time to give him a chance. The options tried last couple months simply aren’t working.

McIlwrick is playing awful footy so I don't think you can give him a go. Where do you play Gamble ? I'd have Reynolds and Benji ahead of him but honestly it's not really that close. Reynolds has to improve a tonne for him to be worth what we are paying him. I just don't rate the guy as a player but I want to be wrong.

Last year Korisaou was getting talked up as a possible SOO player,was he at the Riff with Ivan?if so maybe there is a connection there that gives us a chance of signing him.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Just watched the replay, our week positions remain the 9 & 1, as most of the comments state. I thought we were the better team for most of the match, BUT we still lost, so it doesn't matter.
But I didn't think Taylor cost us anything with his game. However a 9 is required urgently, still think MM is worth a go.
I have said it before, Tui just isn't up to it. Though his second half was better.
I hope the Dog's players come this year.

Just on the coach, he has repeatedly said, that he still hasn't decided on his starting side for the year, so I think signings will continue for some time.
Generally, I am pretty happy with our efforts this year to date, still a chance for a top 8 spot.
It will b 2020 we will b in the bottom half of 8 as per usual & Cleary will still b pulling out the claim that he hasn’t yet settled on his side.

We’ve had fk all injuries it’s his team as he has had the benefit(unlike potter & Taylor) of autonomy & time to recruit a huge no. of players when most other clubs were strained by the cap.The truth is he has recruited very poorly.The money(& duration of contract)Reynolds Packer & matulino were signed for was outrageously moronic & bad business practice.They r at back end of their careers & none of them is in the upper echelon of their position.Milne Godinet rochow & LoLo albeit wouldn’t b on much money weren’t wise recruits.

His short sightedness towards continuing to pick the talent-less Taylor at 9 & the pathetic LoLo at 1 when we have other options is reprehensible.

The fact there’s continued regression in performance across the park with this team as the season progresses reflects very badly on the coach.

Tiger05

First Grade
I want to know who are the superstar rep players that Cleary is supposed to be recruiting?

In case any forgot we were such a basket case that we had to accept anyone who would sign with us this year. And the recruits have done their job which Ivan has clearly stated was their job, namely to change the culture of the club, become competitive in every match and create the conditions to start recruiting a higher caliber of player.

This is true. We were a basket case. We aren't a mess now. The problem is that we have some players on long term contracts on good dollars who aren't performing. We need more quality players and you look at the guys who are doing well and it's players we've gotten cheap like Fonua, Marsters, Thompson & Twal. If we had quality recruits around those guys then we'd look a lot better.

maybe there is a connection there that gives us a chance of signing him
just looked it up benched tiger.

2015 Cleary coach. Koroisau played 15 games. Segeyaro also played 15 games.
He signed with Manly in July 2015 and started with them in 2016.

Perhaps he left as Segeyaro was in front of him as the 9. He did play 6 & 7 at the Riff though.

He will be 26 in November,
McIlwrick turned 27 last week.
Liddle is 22 in October so he has age on his side.

Can we look at Cook and see how long it took him to cement his place in 1st grade?
He's 27 next week - In 2010/22 he played NYC for the Riff. NRL debut in Rd 6 2013 for St George & played 2 games in NRL that year. In 2014/15 he played 7 NRL at the Dogs. In Sept 2015 he was named on bench in NSW Cup team of the year.

So, is everyone expecting too much from Liddle so soon?

Are we paying any of Farah's money still? The SMH back in Sept 16 stated,
The Tigers will fork out $750,000 of Farah's salary next year
good management would have seen West Tigers ;) pay that over 2 years, so if we are paying him, I'd rather get him back for the rest of the year to help mentor Liddle (but that won't happen).

Didn't Cook say that Farah has been invaluable in his helping him advance his game?

simmo1

First Grade
After 14 games in 2017 our stats were:

Position: 16th (LAST)
Wins: 3
Points Scored: 204 (14.6 per game)
Points Conceded: 370 (26.4 per game)

So we are scoring slightly more points per game despite losing arguably our 3 best attacking players, and conceding 10 points less. Cleary has turned us around considerably in his time here, and if we see even close to the same improvement in the next 12 months we will be firmly in the 8.

To those unhappy at our position - what was you realistic expectations to start the season?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Are we not still a chance at this? It's only R14.

I think the signs are ominous that they aren’t going to get there..

I was at the Roosters game last week and my Top 8 confidence levels evaporated after that game because the Roosters had their best players out, played terrible, had less ball then the Tigers and still won...I think that game will be the one that we look back at in the post season review as the game that summed up the Tigers season..

Tigerm

First Grade
th

I guess it's how you see it. Go Tiges :cool:

Last edited:
Just watch the game again and boy, the ref, refs and bl00dy linesman didn't help.

Yep that sin binning of MCK was a f**ki*g joke,are we to believe that basically every player that commits an offence after a refs warning regardless of what the warning is for should be sin binned?it seems this theory only applied to one team yesterday and no wonder Ivan questioned the reasoning for it,time and again this year we have been penalised out of games when the opposition have done the same, and why at the back end of games are the refs hesitant to provide penalties to lesser teams within goal kicking range ? as per last week against the Rorters was a perfect example when the scores could of been leveled.
What’s noticeable with the refs is that they are consistent at being inconsistent with their decisions,and in doing so usually favour the stronger clubs or teams that are expected to win.

BuffaloRules

Coach
And still well within reach.

They would want to be after that start..

Only needed to win 8 of their last 18 to make it:.. will be very disappointing if they don’t..

A team wins 5 of their first 6 probably goes on to make the Top 8 about 90 per cent of the time I would imagine..

Last edited:

Latest posts