What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super Sub Flo

TRUE TRAGIC

Juniors
I was at the game yesterday. I was not aware Flo had been benched until a mate sent me a text 20 mins before kick off. I have been arguing with him for months about Jason Nightingale's role in the team. I said he should be on the bench. He can play any position in the backs and he can also match it in the forwards as he has proven time after time this year and last year with his hit ups. Yesterday has been a long time coming. I think it is a master stroke. Flo will prove to be the best bench player in the comp. Flo was dynamic off the bench - he got through an enormous amount of work in the middle. I hope this is the pattern for the rest of the year. Flo is a legend of the club. He will not let anyone down coming off the bench.

hazzbeen

Bench
I was at the game yesterday. I was not aware Flo had been benched until a mate sent me a text 20 mins before kick off. I have been arguing with him for months about Jason Nightingale's role in the team. I said he should be on the bench. He can play any position in the backs and he can also match it in the forwards as he has proven time after time this year and last year with his hit ups. Yesterday has been a long time coming. I think it is a master stroke. Flo will prove to be the best bench player in the comp. Flo was dynamic off the bench - he got through an enormous amount of work in the middle. I hope this is the pattern for the rest of the year. Flo is a legend of the club. He will not let anyone down coming off the bench.
Mate I mentioned this about a month ago , if he is to be in the team use him as a bench player .... Let's see what happens next game .....

Drag Queen

Bench
Quite possibly. I was glad to see Kurt given a go yesterday. Unfortunately he had a game resembling his debut as FB in 2016 for which he was vilified. I hope this doesn't happen to him again. I'm sure his nerves were on display and hope he hasn't lost confidence again. Personally I would have had him in Lafai's spot, or given him 50 minutes in Nighty's spot with Nighty coming on in the last 30. Easy to be a couch critic though.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Mary said he had to tweak a few things in his game.
His runs help us alot.
Would he have caught that bomb that they scored off.?
Yes he would have caught the bomb for sure. A because he is reliable and B because Brett Morris was contesting and he would have made damn sure he did not get the ball.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Oh dear oh dear. I found yesterday terribly sad having to watch a wonderful club-man who is clearly past his best being asked to take hit ups in the middle of the field against a big Bulldogs pack. We had a young forward sitting there doing nothing and a 32 year old 88 kg winger being used as a battering ram. Absolutely dreadful coaching.

Until and unless changes are made in terms of Lafai and Nightingale we are in trouble. We have a young gun in Zac Lomax sitting in the reggies; why not play him on the wing? I remember Mark Gasnier and Latrell Mitchell starting on the wing in 1st grade and they turned out alright.

How many beers did TT have at the football yesterday to describe this as a master-stroke? Stroke? I was having a bloody stroke when Nightingale came on as well mate. Go to bed now.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Nighty has caught and dropped bombs lately .. So it is not a fait acompli that he catches the bomb that Morris scores off or even the bomb that Mann caught in the last seconds of the game.

Did Morris score a try running around an edge defending 20m infield?

Who knows how it would have played out if it were the other way around.

Gareth67

First Grade
Quite possibly. I was glad to see Kurt given a go yesterday. Unfortunately he had a game resembling his debut as FB in 2016 for which he was vilified. I hope this doesn't happen to him again. I'm sure his nerves were on display and hope he hasn't lost confidence again. Personally I would have had him in Lafai's spot, or given him 50 minutes in Nighty's spot with Nighty coming on in the last 30. Easy to be a couch critic though.

As a number of other members suggested would occur - the poor devils have simply not been playing much footy of late , unfortunately he has probably lost confidence as I believe have some of the others . They look good in their Dragons outfits but they were signed to play rugby league - not to warm the bench

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I've always appreciated the efforts of JN throughout the years and especially of the past couple of years.

Hate to see him starting to lag behind and get bagged as well.
There are times when age catches up with us and its starting to show with Flo, however, there are times when he's played this year when l've been glad he way there on the wing.

I can't see the point of using him as a utility player though. As some have mentioned, he's no battering ram.

I've always appreciated the efforts of JN throughout the years and especially of the past couple of years.

Hate to see him starting to lag behind and get bagged as well.
There are times when age catches up with us and its starting to show with Flo, however, there are times when he's played this year when l've been glad he way there on the wing.

I can't see the point of using him as a utility player though. As some have mentioned, he's no battering ram.
Yep, if you think he can’t cut it in the run on side, which I don’t, drop him altogether and bring a young kid in to sit on the bench all day.

TRUE TRAGIC

Juniors
Oh dear oh dear. I found yesterday terribly sad having to watch a wonderful club-man who is clearly past his best being asked to take hit ups in the middle of the field against a big Bulldogs pack. We had a young forward sitting there doing nothing and a 32 year old 88 kg winger being used as a battering ram. Absolutely dreadful coaching.

Until and unless changes are made in terms of Lafai and Nightingale we are in trouble. We have a young gun in Zac Lomax sitting in the reggies; why not play him on the wing? I remember Mark Gasnier and Latrell Mitchell starting on the wing in 1st grade and they turned out alright.

How many beers did TT have at the football yesterday to describe this as a master-stroke? Stroke? I was having a bloody stroke when Nightingale came on as well mate. Go to bed now.

TRUE TRAGIC

Juniors
There have been many players who have had their roles changed by coaches over the years which have either extended their careers or have been a major benefit to the team.
Slippery Morris was a good example of this - half back to wing by Roy Masters, Steve rogers from fullback/centre to lock forward was another. James Graham told Mary this week he was a"team first " player when asked about the upcoming game against the dogs. So too is Flo. Jason Nightingale is a "Team first" player and will do what the coach asks and what is best for the team. Flo did a fantastic job when he came on against the Dogs. He will do this every time he comes on from the bench. Flo has been charging up the middle for several years giving the forwards a breather - that is the modern game. Just look at all the outside backs in other teams. They all do it. So, to think it was sad to see Flo do it is off the mark - he has been doing it for years and does it well. If the coach now thinks his best contribution to the team is from the bench in whatever position is required at the time I have no doubt Flo will give it his absolute best every time.
On the game against the Dogs - we won a tough game. If you look at the other games played over the weekend most were only won by small margins. This is a post Origin legacy. The Dogs have a big powerful pack. It was a forward battle which we won with players backing up from SOS.
We are leading the competition- life is not that bad. In fact, it is very good.
On another note, why do people on this forum feel the need to be personally insulting when someone has a different opinion. Rob the Dragon, I didn't have any beers, I also don't "need to go to bed now". I have been following the Dragons since1965. I have learnt over the years, in my roles as mentor and advisor ,you get the best out of people by encouraging, rewarding and praising openly. The best way to destroy an individual is to criticise them in front of their peers or in public.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I'm not sure what to think about the benching of Flo. I have always loved and admired the bloke as he absolutely epitomises the Dragons spirit and seems to be the spiritual heartbeat of the club.
Unfortunately I do believe his days on the wing are over, yet he still can provide valuable contribution to the team in a utility role to cover injury & fatigue.
He may have slowed considerably, but like James Graham he is a leader and a respected senior player that can lift the team with his talk and show no fear mentality.
The end is near for Flo, but he can pass on his passion and selflessness via the bench.
PS. and maybe he can instruct the coach how to utilise all 17 players!