What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

When you're working on a defensive structure, ET is pretty crucial to the setup at lock. Good middle defender who gets through a lot of work and pretty effective. In attack he doesn't offer a great deal. Truth be told we don't have a great deal of strike power anywhere on the field.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Agree with pretty much everything uou say here. Just chuck Liddle in for 80, sink or swim. Ivan was saying how Josh needed easing back in. Well he played the last 40 straight and in the 80th minute was the guy who rushed out of the line and cause STT to make the mistake. With the amount of stoppages in the game these days 80 mins wouldn’t be that hard. Even if he is at 50% it would be better then the shit ET dishes up.

I’m over Tui, he looked ok last year but this year he’s been trash. Maybe he just isn’t a fullback, but at least try. That bomb where he got falconed was pathetic.

I said to my mate on Sunday ‘no one wants to admit it, but ET shouldn’t be in our full strength 17.’ I absolutely love the guy and don’t think he’s a bad player but I just don’t see where he fits in with this structure we’re playing.
Totally agree re ET.When he was contemplating returning to NZ b4 Cleary re-signed him I was actually hoping he would return home coz I’ve never rated him.If Cleary wasn’t so glaringly obvious about favouring certain players regardless of ability & form & was fair dinkum about picking our best 17 then Taylor would b playing under Hodgo.

Cleary certainly has some issues with a number of the players he has signed in trying to extract the best out of them consistently.What really irks me is the lack of game time the kiwi props r getting & in particular Packer.If u r going to pay someone 700k—800k I’d expect their output to match their earnings.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Totally agree re ET.When he was contemplating returning to NZ b4 Cleary re-signed him I was actually hoping he would return home coz I’ve never rated him.If Cleary wasn’t so glaringly obvious about favouring certain players regardless of ability & form & was fair dinkum about picking our best 17 then Taylor would b playing under Hodgo.

Cleary certainly has some issues with a number of the players he has signed in trying to extract the best out of them consistently.What really irks me is the lack of game time the kiwi props r getting & in particular Packer.If u r going to pay someone 700k—800k I’d expect their output to match their earnings.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...-knights-to-add-another-five-or-six-signings/
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5443999/barry-toohey-sporting-column-tooheys-news/

If the Tigers release Tim Grant to the Knights then they might have more room to sign Woods pre-June 30? Grant is on pretty good coin from his Origin days from what I recall?

Shredder

Juniors
I was under the impression we picked up Grant on the cheaper side?

Wasnt he coming off an injury and unwanted at Penriff?

Tiger Ted

Bench
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...-knights-to-add-another-five-or-six-signings/
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5443999/barry-toohey-sporting-column-tooheys-news/

If the Tigers release Tim Grant to the Knights then they might have more room to sign Woods pre-June 30? Grant is on pretty good coin from his Origin days from what I recall?
Cleary has invested huge money in 2 under - delivering over-rated kiwi props.For the sake of assembling a well balanced team we cant afford to b spending much more money on another over-rated prop when we have major deficiencies in our backline & spine.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't want Woods back unless we can get rid of Packer and that isn't going to happen. We have Twal, Eisenhuth, Aloiai, Packer, Matulino, Felise and ET who all play in the middle of the park. Why do we want a slow prop who doesn't have an impact on the game consistently.

Woods can replace one of our highly paid recruits but value for money I don't see him in the same ballpark as and Eisenhuth, Felise and Twal. We'd be much better off spending our money on a gun outside back, edge backrower or even hooker. I think Liddle will come good though so I'd be inclined to spend on an edge backrower or an outside back.

Tiger05

First Grade
Cleary has invested huge money in 2 under - delivering over-rated kiwi props.For the sake of assembling a well balanced team we cant afford to b spending much more money on another over-rated prop when we have major deficiencies in our backline & spine.

I just posted the same thing. We can't sign another prop without giving up one of those Kiwi props. On this topic how shit has Packer been since he has come back into the team.

macnaz

Staff member
Apart from his attitude and disrespect toward the club im coming around to the idea of Woods returning.
If he was to apologize for his actions and show some remorse for being a dick id happily have him back in the side.
Ok he is overated but lets be honest he didnt give up trying when he finnished up last year. Compared to Packer and Mautilino who havnt delivered anywhere near what we expected he offers more metres, more gametime, more defence and more 2nd phrase offloads and is YOUNGER.
Id be happy to see a redemption story with him busting his arse at the club he once loved trying to prove himself and work with Cleary on his weaknesses in game and make amends

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I just posted the same thing. We can't sign another prop without giving up one of those Kiwi props. On this topic how shit has Packer been since he has come back into the team.

I think Packer has been playing with a bung knee. He was struggling to run out onto the field yesterday.

Woods would be an upgrade on TIm Grant. That jersey grab yesterday on the Ramien try was really poor

Tiger Ted

Bench
I think Packer has been playing with a bung knee. He was struggling to run out onto the field yesterday.

Woods would be an upgrade on TIm Grant. That jersey grab yesterday on the Ramien try was really poor
As much as I have little respect for Sharon she’d b an upgrade on all our props bar Twal.

Packer has been shithouse for 3 wks.If he’s carrying an injury which I doubt then it’s beholden on the coach to not play him.Its not as if we r short of options in the forwards in contrast to our limited options in the backs.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
If Packer is struggling with his knee, give him some time off and promote someone else, like Felise or Sue.

Felise appears to be on the nose. I don't know what to make of that. He got NRL starts last season and didn't set the world on fire. Then in the 2018 trials Felise was among our best.

Probably not the biggest of props and this counts against him. Might be worth upgrading Thomas Mikaele if the wraps on him are to be believed?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Felise appears to be on the nose. I don't know what to make of that. He got NRL starts last season and didn't set the world on fire. Then in the 2018 trials Felise was among our best.

Probably not the biggest of props and this counts against him. Might be worth upgrading Thomas Mikaele if the wraps on him are to be believed?

I believe Mikaele is already in the fulltime squad next year

super_coach

First Grade
Woods decided the grass was greener elsewhere, so I say lets close the door and give a player a go who wants to be part of our future

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/da11ae6f5603b156ea078466175442c0

NRL 2018: Moses Mbye opens up on Bulldogs exit and move to Wests Tigers

Bulldogs star Moses Mbye will soon be reunited with Josh Reynolds at the Wests Tigers. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia

CANTERBURY star Moses Mbye has opened up on his “tough” decision to leave the Bulldogs at the end of the season, saying he’s mindful of leaving the club on good terms.

Mbye’s signed a four-year deal with the Wests Tigers from 2019, but there have been rumours he could depart Bulldogs mid-season to join Ivan Cleary’s squad.

The 24-year-old admitted a big part of the move was due to the Bulldogs’ precarious salary cap position, but it was a win-win situation for all involved.

“It was a tough decision,” Mbye told Queenslanders Only.

“It’s one of those things. We’re in a situation where we weren’t in the best of spots salary cap wise.

“I got a good opportunity to go over to the Wests Tigers and I thought I’d pursue that. It worked for both parties.

“I’m excited but I’m really looking forward to finishing the year off at the Dogs and just enjoying the company of the boys.”

Should Mbye secure a mid-season release, it would make Saturday’s game against Gold Coast at Belmore Sports Ground his last in the blue and white.

“I’m at the Dogs now, I’m playing for the Dogs this week,” Mbye said.

“I’m looking forward to finishing the year with the boys.

“I’ve been there 7-8 years now, I think it’s important how you leave a club as well.

“I want to go out without burning any bridges or upsetting anyone and I think the boys deserve that and I’d like to think I do as well.”

Mbye made the full-time switch to fullback at the Bulldogs this year and has been one of the team’s shining light in what has been yet another disappointing season.

Over 13 games so far in 2018, he’s averaged 108 metres per game to go with a total of three try assists, seven linebreak assists and an impressive 50 tackle busts.

“At the moment, the plan is to play fullback over there,” Mbye said of his Tigers role.

“I’ve had very brief conversations with Ivan, I’ve still got commitments at the Bulldogs so we haven’t gone into that too far.

“But there’s a role to be filled there at the Tigers for me next year and that’s what he’s indicated to me.”

Mbye, a Noosa Pirates junior, said he didn’t really consider moving back to Queensland while he was weighing up his future.

“At this stage in my life, I’ve got a young family here,” Mbye said.

“I’ve got a couple of kids and we’re pretty settled in Sydney.

“It took us a while to get settled in Sydney just with the whole transition, but we’re settled, our house is here and our family’s here.

“Next step is school for my young ones so that was a big factor in not having to pick up and shift again.

“At the Tigers, it’s pretty close to home still, I think it only adds another 15 minutes in the car.”

Once he makes his move, he’ll be reunited with former Bulldogs teammate Josh Reynolds who made the move to Concord over the off-season.

When asked whether Reynolds was a factor in contracts, Mbye replied: “He certainly was.

“I’ve obviously played a fair bit of footy with Josh and really enjoyed my time with him. He’s such a good bloke.

“He gave me a couple of phone calls during negotiations and he got me across the line I think.

“I’m certainly looking forward to playing alongside him again.”

Doesn't sound like he is keen to come over this year?

magpie_man

Juniors
I think it just shows that he's a man of integrity; he doesn't want to ditch the Bulldogs in their hour of need, unlike our very own Theatrical Three.
From the interviews I've seen of him, Mbye seems to be a very well-adjusted young man; articulate and intelligent with a good head on his shoulders.
The cultural revolution at Concord rolls on.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Sounds to me like he’s being respectful to his current team mates. All guys want to play finals footy. He’ll be with us for the Titans game.

Latest posts