What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Roosters @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 14: Knights v Roosters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
I'm super meh on Denniss. I feel like as a supporter base, given what we've been through the past decade, we seem happy with anyone who comes into first grade and doesn't immediately shit the bed. He's been adequate when called upon, but going any further than that is just ignoring what actual quality players like Ramien can do when they hit grade. Denniss certainly hasn't made any sort of impact in any respect, he's just managed to not drown. At some stage I feel like we need to set a higher bar than that.

This time last year Lamb was the future, and look how that's going now that we've had a taste of a bit of real quality in our roster. Denniss has done absolutely nothing to suggest he could be anything more than a bottom-3rd of the NRL quality outside back. Maybe he turns into something, but to me he's depth at this stage... and it doesn't seem to me like his ceiling is massively high. Next year at the very least he'll have Ramien, Moga and Sione ahead of him... and that's assuming no further outside back recruits.

The only reason I'm not sure if Sione will be moved to the back row again would be his head issues. If they are well and truly in the past and not an ongoing thing then yeah, maybe we do see him back there at some stage. If he continues his current form this year and has a good pre-season he'll be putting himself in the frame for a centre spot, though.

Yeah probably, I haven't seen much of Ramien outside of highlights. I don't know what the level of effort is to switch sides versus the level of effort required to rejoin the forward pack in the modern game. Depends on things like whether he can step on the other foot, how good his palm is on the other side of his body, etc.
Exactly this. We get excited by someone who isn't completely shit.

Jono078

Referee
I'm actually a little excited about Denniss. He's still very young and growing into his body. I think in 2-3 years he'll really learn what he's capable of physically and will gain confidence in what he's doing out there.

Not ready to write him off at all.

Spot On

Coach
Geez

Dennis is 20 and has a hell of a lot of filling out to do.

He'll be a very big unit and an absolute handful in a season or two. Another 6 kgs (or more if he carries it) and he'll be as heavy as Corey Oates. Same height too. Not a bad prospect if that's how the club sees his path to firsts atm.

Not sure what you want to see but players develop at different rates and he is doing just fine. Made an error or 2 the other night but we've had big name players on massive money in our back line that have done that every week for years. He's not first grade fit yet nor as strong as he could be and the pace of the game catches him out a little but he's done well the past 2 weeks.

Give the bloke some time.

Burwood

Bench
Denniss is proving that he can handle the defence in first grade, which is enough for me. He may not offer too much in attack at the moment, but when we have a bit of spark and creativity in Pearce, Ponga and Watson, he doesn't need to do it all on his own. Just be ready for when those three create the opportunities for you.

perverse

Referee
I'm not trying to shitbag Denniss into the ground, much like Lamb I just don't see a lot to get excited about other than he hasn't been terribly shit. He'll be miles behind at least 3 options we already have for next year, and that's not even counting Ross who is also on the books until 2020.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I'm not trying to shitbag Denniss into the ground, much like Lamb I just don't see a lot to get excited about other than he hasn't been terribly shit. He'll be miles behind at least 3 options we already have for next year, and that's not even counting Ross who is also on the books until 2020.
I understand the reservation but at this stage I am flagging what I see as potential, not current ability.

I think size and speed (that chase on the weekend had him as the only Knight making up considerable ground on the attack from the other side of the field) are attributes that you can't coach into a player and is something we have not had an abundance of in our back stocks in general over the past few years.

I get we are bringing in one of the most talented rising stars in the game in Ramien, Sione is developing into his Centre role now that he has been given a chance to hold one position for the whole season, Moga is an unknown factor for next season - we are looking better than we have. But we have always bemoaned our depth in the backs at this club and I think he has shown there are the building blocks for a serviceable first grade back that is developing through the ranks and it does enthuse me...I'm a glass half full kinda guy;)

The other point I'd make is that he is not just a Centre for mine - I see him also being a competing Winger for our first grade squad as Spot On flagged above in the mould of a Corey Oates or Ferguson(without the baggage) so his value as a competing depth player across the backs is also something positive about his potential.

Is he our game breaking, win it on your own type of player (ala Ramien) probably not for the next 18 months in his development - does he have the potential to develop into a solid first grade versatile back that will be reliable, play his part in a competitive team and be a relatively cheap player in salary cap terms...I think there is enough scope there to be keen to see how he develops.