What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

LINESPEED

Juniors
You make some valid observations regarding the roster - certainly one of the best rosters since we won the GF in 2010.
I also love your "probably need to go in another direction with our coaching staff..."
I applaud your diplomatic approach but the truth is we need major surgery as far as our coaching function is concerned.
The only question that matters is, "can McGregor deliver a premiership?"
If the answer is no, then he should not be the coach.
If we fall off our perch again this year, then the fact that we have a better roster compels a decisive and immediate change in coach.

Agree Dennis.
I hope we win the trophy & we're in the mix for sure - but largely because of the 8 or so premiership points Ben Hunt's earned us singlehandedly earlier in the season. Otherwise we're fringe 8 with a largely unchanged roster and a coach who lacks the intelligence, imagination & capacity to plan for contingencies like burnout and injury - and who is leaving the club in the parlous state of relying on 16 players with ill-prepared backup.
So in this respect he's flying on a wing and a prayer ATM. Of course we're all enjoying the ride while it lasts - but probably forgetting the fact that Mary was never the right choice for coach of this great club.
He is clearly frightened of change & experimentation and the renewal and club strength that comes with that. His methodology and treatment of juniors hasn't changed - and tapping Nighty must've been extremely difficult for a man who likes meticulous, unthreatening order & certainty in his life. That action in elevating Mann might indicate a shift in attitude in selecting on form rather than loyalty - in having a crack at the kind of experimentation that's obvious to us all - but unfortunately I think outside pressure (dare I say Forum?) forced the issue?

As a coach this man struggles.

Agree Dennis.
I hope we win the trophy & we're in the mix for sure - but largely because of the 8 or so premiership points Ben Hunt's earned us singlehandedly earlier in the season. Otherwise we're fringe 8 with a largely unchanged roster and a coach who lacks the intelligence, imagination & capacity to plan for contingencies like burnout and injury - and who is leaving the club in the parlous state of relying on 16 players with ill-prepared backup.
So in this respect he's flying on a wing and a prayer ATM. Of course we're all enjoying the ride while it lasts - but probably forgetting the fact that Mary was never the right choice for coach of this great club.
He is clearly frightened of change & experimentation and the renewal and club strength that comes with that. His methodology and treatment of juniors hasn't changed - and tapping Nighty must've been extremely difficult for a man who likes meticulous, unthreatening order & certainty in his life. That action in elevating Mann might indicate a shift in attitude in selecting on form rather than loyalty - in having a crack at the kind of experimentation that's obvious to us all - but unfortunately I think outside pressure (dare I say Forum?) forced the issue?

You put a sharp point on the whole scenario and no amount of window dressing or hype is going to change that.
I am a big Nighty fan and he has been out of sorts this year and deserved to be dropped.
Mann played with energy but I am not sure he added much to the equation compared to Nightingale.
He also dropped that crucial bomb which Nightingale would have swallowed.
Just on your point - McGregor finally had the balls to drop Nightingale and then put him on the bench as a utility!
Replaced Graham late in the game and gave him his customary bench 7 minutes.
Why not just drop the guy to ISP and pick the very best bench player for the job?
They are the sort of decisions I will never understand.
I also think that if we had experimented with a few of the young backs earlier in the season, we may have had a stronger hand to play in our three quarter line leading into the end of the season and the finals.
Instead we hoping that Lafai, Aitkin and McDonald and now Mann, can match it with the competition heavy weights.

ouryears

Bench
Agree Dennis.

Perfectly said linespeed.
And yes we must remember Mary is not the person to be coaching this great club.

Imagine a club surviving with just 16 players, no back ups being groomed, it's frightening.

Mary is in his 5th year (?), he should have 25 players able to perform to first grade standard, even 30.

16 players are holding our club together, what a joke. Imagine if we cop 4, 5 or 6 injuries, it will be a farce.

Got to find a way to sack Mary.

ouryears

Bench
You put a sharp point on the whole scenario and no amount of window dressing or hype is going to change that.
I am a big Nighty fan and he has been out of sorts this year and deserved to be dropped.
Mann played with energy but I am not sure he added much to the equation compared to Nightingale.
He also dropped that crucial bomb which Nightingale would have swallowed.
Just on your point - McGregor finally had the balls to drop Nightingale and then put him on the bench as a utility!
Replaced Graham late in the game and gave him his customary bench 7 minutes.
Why not just drop the guy to ISP and pick the very best bench player for the job?
They are the sort of decisions I will never understand.
I also think that if we had experimented with a few of the young backs earlier in the season, we may have had a stronger hand to play in our three quarter line leading into the end of the season and the finals.
Instead we hoping that Lafai, Aitkin and McDonald and now Mann, can match it with the competition heavy weights.
Very true DP and the reason why we will be no match for the heavy weights come September.

And we aren't there yet, a couple of losses and we still miss the 8. The ladder is tight.

I see bad things around the corner thanks to Mary's ineptness.

Imagine putting a bloke like Mary in charge of millions of dollars of playing talent.

Outside the top 16, does he even know our players names?

ouryears

Bench
Some of your revelations are contentious to say the least.
"Aitkin on the fringe of Origin"?? So who do you suggest he is going to replace? Roberts? Mitchell? Jennings? He is no SOO player even though he is hyped up a lot in that direction. Had a shocker against Canterbury.
Dufty is doing fine and has added some variation to our attack but "improving week in week out"? I don't think so.
Paul Vaughan was never a reserve grader. For whatever reason he was playing resers at Canberra, hea has turned out to be one of our best acquisitions in recent times.
Sims was always a great player who has got his mojo back after a stint dealing with some serious injuries.
McInnes has been superb and has added a new dimension to his game at hooker. I think Dean Young may have had something to do with that.
He and JDB are the ones that continue to improve.
I know, I know - we are sitting on top of the table and McGregor has done a cracking job getting us there.
This is the 5th year of his tenure.
I sincerely hope he has the nous to bring home a premiership for the fans.
I will be the first to admit I was wrong.
What happens if we don't at least go deep into the finals?
Should we saddle up for a 6th and 7th year in the hope that things will change or McGregor will turn into a premiership winning coach?
All these questions and more will be answered come September.
After 5 years Mary has given us 16 players to keep the engine running. He hasn't developed our kids, the kids who were 18 yrs old when he became coach are now 23....where the hell are they?

A few injuries and we are gone, some think it's all rosy, well I think the day of reckoning is just around the corner.

Souths, warriors and Panthers already put us to the sword.

16 players.....keeping us going.....Mary you imposter!

Crush

Coach
After 5 years Mary has given us 16 players to keep the engine running. He hasn't developed our kids, the kids who were 18 yrs old when he became coach are now 23....where the hell are they?

A few injuries and we are gone, some think it's all rosy, well I think the day of reckoning is just around the corner.

Souths, warriors and Panthers already put us to the sword.

16 players.....keeping us going.....Mary you imposter!
Souths, Warriors, Panthers already put us to the sword? Really? It is a competition you know? You dont go through a season undefeated. We have the equal best win loss ratio so far.
We beat Souths, Storm, Roosters, Sharks (twice) all top sides.
But they werent legitimit wins right because we didnt have enough injuries? Not a real win unless you do it with a few ISP players?
Goddamit I am sick of our players being so fit and playing every week!
Come on Mary, rest widdop and hunt and play field and nicholls this week just to see how they go. You know for when Hunt and Widdop finish up in 2022.

Coffs dragon

Bench
There will be no sacking of Mary this year or the next, that's reality in Dragons world.
However, if Manly beat us this weekend then an almighty alarm bell will sound and there would need to be an investigation.
If the wheels fall off then the person driving the bus is responsible.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
There will be no sacking of Mary this year or the next, that's reality in Dragon world.
However, if Manly beat us this weekend then an almighty alarm bell will sound and there would need to be an investigation.
If the wheels fall off then the person driving the bus is responsible.
Yep if that does happen , I hope the whole coaching staff are on that bus ....

Yep if that does happen , I hope the whole coaching staff are on that bus ....
I doubt whether Manly can beat us with the problems they have but you watch Marty Tapau, Fonoa Blake and Jake Test us up the middle.
These are the worse games when you are expected to win comfortably.

hazzbeen

Bench
I doubt whether Manly can beat us with the problems they have but you watch Marty Tapau, Fonoa Blake and Jake Test us up the middle.
These are the worse games when you are expected to win comfortably.
Dennis this is the problem of late and is a worry we should be beating these teams comfortably , let's hope so. Just of topic how do you see the way Frizel is being used , for a guy that hits the line at speed and strength he doesn't make many breaks . For me he is used as a battering ram , should be put through a hole by our play makers every now and then . Would be very dangerous in open play .....

The Damo

Juniors
I try to imagine what our team sheet would look like if we'd had Manly's injury toll.
That scenario would've forced Mary to act - strengthening the club long term.

Currently we're an uninsured house in a fire zone ... and the temperature's rising.
See this kind of makes the opposite point you think - the reason other clubs have played younger reserve graders is largely because they’ve been forced to by injury. If coaches have a rep standard player who can play 80 minutes they play them. Barring injuries and resting players for games just 2 or 3 days after Origin can you give 3-5 examples of that happening?
I can - all with the dragons when Luciano was subbing Frizz, Sims or a middle. Any others?

Latest posts