What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watmough unleashes on DCE

Patorick

Staff member
"I love being here, there has been a bit of adversity but it is what it is and we just have to get on with it. It's probably been my toughest year football-wise with so much drama and the Days of our Lives stuff that's been going on here. But I've learned a lot about myself and the game… people come out of the woodwork when you're going poorly and want to keep you down. They keep you down there with personal attacks, we had one today with Choc [Watmough] going at DCE and it just shows where you're at when you're losing and the type of people that come after you when you're struggling. But it's good too, you learn from yourself and you grow out of it."

Joel Thompson

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/13/manly-sea-eagles-akuila-uate-takes-up-lucrative-english-offer/

Life's Good

Coach
All well & good for Watmough to unload, but why now? He’s been out of the game for 2 years & not affiliated with Manly for longer. Whether you like DCE or not I think the rant says more about Watmough being a bitter, twisted merkin than DCE being a tw*t.

Lebbo73

Bench
There are three sides to every story.

This is the Watmough side of it.

Very much doubt Cherry-Evans will respond to it beyond general polite respectful denial.

Then there are the facts.

Manly had to upgrade Cherry-Evans in 2012 and beyond.

The reality is minimum wage for a premiership winning Australian representative halfback was not going to happen.
Exactly right but a 10 fold upgrade at the time to $500k was several bridges too far!

JamesRustle

First Grade
It's all about timing.

DCE plays rookie season in a premiership winning side. Seizes opportunity to upgrade contract - with good reason but possibly given too much after 1 season.

Bulk of seasoned players retire or move on. Seizes opportunity to upgrade contract - again probably reasonable after winning a comp and making another GF within a couple if years, but again taking a heap of the cap.. which impacts capacity to put a balanced squad together and leads to disharmony, especially when performance is below expectation.

Hasn't looked like leading the team deep into finals for a few years now, and people questioning the wisdom of the long contract and speculating on his being an abrasive personality.

Greedy - a bit
Opportunistic - perfect timing for contract review
Value for money - I can't judge that but that's on the board and management.

If you back a marquee player on a long term contract, what can you reasonably expect from a team in a 10 year period? Win 1-2 premierships, top 8 team for 5-6 years? That is highly possible over DCE's career at Manly.

Anyway... It's Manly and DCE so I'm loving the drama!!

Lambretta

First Grade
Makes you wonder what this guy has done to rub people the wrong way.

To be disliked is one thing. To be hated more than Manly itself? That is something I didn’t think was possible.

His own state hates him.

Yes but you have to look at it from Queenslands point of view

When someone is offered a big money deal to move to heaven and turns it down for a little more to stay in hell you write them off as not being right in the head

Had Daly moved to the Titans I am sure he would be more in favour.

Valheru

Coach
DCE suffers the same treatment as Tom Brady in the NFL.

Brady doesn't say words like "y'all" or any other southern slang, he is well educated and gets along well with the media. Similarly, DCE doesn't use the usual NRL bogan slang, talks to and gets along with the media well and is clearly more educated than your standard football player.

The other players just don't like that.

macnaz

Staff member
Politics more then anything, 2nd year in first grade the club upgraded up from 50k to 500k plus 3rd parties where as the senior players in the club thought they deserved it more and just wanted DCE's to bide his time.
I guess you actually listened to the whole podcast tp appreciate the full story. Pity most here didnt do the same.

Perth Tiger

Bench
All well & good for Watmough to unload, but why now? He’s been out of the game for 2 years & not affiliated with Manly for longer. Whether you like DCE or not I think the rant says more about Watmough being a bitter, twisted merkin than DCE being a tw*t.

Must be angling for one of those blow hard roles it seems every single sport TV and radio show has to have

ek999

First Grade
Whilst I can understand DCE wanting the contract upgrade, refusing to train is a dog act. The club should have said no and got rid of him. Culture is a lot more important than a star player who clearly now runs the club. Twice they could have let him go and instead bent over backwards to keep him

jaseg

Juniors
DCE suffers the same treatment as Tom Brady in the NFL.

Brady doesn't say words like "y'all" or any other southern slang, he is well educated and gets along well with the media. Similarly, DCE doesn't use the usual NRL bogan slang, talks to and gets along with the media well and is clearly more educated than your standard football player.

The other players just don't like that.

Brady has played for nearly 20 years in a league with huge rosters and high turnover rates - so he has an awful lot of former teammates. How many have said a bad word about him?