What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Suitman

Post Whore
So.....the USA/Canada/Mexico bid won the rights to the 2026 World Cup today.
The only other bidder was Morocco. No contest really in the end. Particularly considering it is moving to a 48 team World Cup then.

I watched the two Honduras vs Aust World Cup Qualifiers tonight on Fox 507. Amazing stuff and an incredible atmosphere at ANZ for the 2nd game. Not quite as good as the Uruquay game, but nevertheless, incredible.
Such a shame that Oz is so caught up and obsessed by other traditional sports. This is the biggest event the world over every 4 years. Absolutely insane in so many countries. Puts the Olympics to bed.
To us, it's just a side show that is an inconvenience to our local winter sports.
Such a shame, as I have no doubt we'd be a serious world competitor otherwise.

Gronk

Staff member
The only other bidder was Morocco. No contest really in the end. Particularly considering it is moving to a 48 team World Cup then.

I watched the two Honduras vs Aust World Cup Qualifiers tonight on Fox 507. Amazing stuff and an incredible atmosphere at ANZ for the 2nd game. Not quite as good as the Uruquay game, but nevertheless, incredible.
Such a shame that Oz is so caught up and obsessed by other traditional sports. This is the biggest event the world over every 4 years. Absolutely insane in so many countries. Puts the Olympics to bed.
To us, it's just a side show that is an inconvenience to our local winter sports.

Sign of the times is that countries are not interested in hosting the Olympics or FWC. IIRC Paris 2024 and Los Angeles 2028 won their Olympics bids on no contest ballots.

It just costs too much money and hosts end up with decades of debt for modest return in tourism, trade and prestige. Hence why joint bids are desirable.

In any event, it seems that to win the support of FIFA for a WC bid, you need to grease the palms of many as it never seems to be a legitimate contest.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/au...hance-even-if-there-was-no-corruption-1.94902

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Cant help but wonder if Madrid made the decision instead of the Spain, football is their religion and their preseason starts soon but Spain will go a long way into the World Cup which will clash with RM's preseason

hybrideel

Bench

Are you talking about the fans, governing bodies or kids/parents when they make their choice of what junior sport to play when you say it's a shame?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cant help but wonder if Madrid made the decision instead of the Spain, football is their religion and their preseason starts soon but Spain will go a long way into the World Cup which will clash with RM's preseason
There is certainly a lot more money at stake with Real Madrid than the Spanish national football team.

Suitman

Post Whore
In any event, it seems that to win the support of FIFA for a WC bid, you need to grease the palms of many as it never seems to be a legitimate contest.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/au...hance-even-if-there-was-no-corruption-1.94902

Well, they seem to have done a cleanout of sorts.
Whether it has made any difference or not remains to be seen.

Dfhu7qAX4AEGRmh.jpg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bribes are how shit works in most parts of the world. Anyone who thinks the West is corrupt has obviously never been anywhere else. Australian government officials often have to be very creative in accounting for expenses incurred outside of western Europe and North America.

Soccer truly is the world game.

hindy111

Post Whore
Its come around. The greatest event in the world.

Official world cup thread. Peoples tips and general chat for all footbal.

hindy111

Post Whore
Azani is a talent... Will Jedinak start? How will Poland go with a gun strike force?
Ronaldo last world cup. Messi perhaps last. Brasil firing. Germans efficient. Urguay are my suprise packet.