What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Timbo

Staff member
Oh for f**ks sake.

Well done CA. Just spectacular PR in the aftermath of sandpapergate.

I honestly am struggling to believe they actually did this. What a bunch of complete and utter f**kwits.

Oh for f**ks sake.

Well done CA. Just spectacular PR in the aftermath of sandpapergate.

I honestly am struggling to believe they actually did this. What a bunch of complete and utter f**kwits.

It’s not quite as bad as I presented it there, seems fox are planning to launch a sports only digital subscription.

But it’ll still be a significant increase if you only like cricket. Admittedly there’ll be access to more matches though, as many overseas tours will now be included.

Timbo

Staff member
The more that comes out about this, the angrier I get at Sutherland.

He was asked yesterday about how this is legal re: the anti-siphoning laws, and how it can be good for viewers if the first time in history that the Australian team is exclusively on Fox Sports - he kept parroting answers about how they've got womens cricket on free to air in greater numbers than ever before.

That wasn't the f**king question dickhead, people are furious that they won't be able to watch the Australia Day game without paying for it. You sold us out to Rupert and this will forever be your legacy.

The more that comes out about this, the angrier I get at Sutherland.

He was asked yesterday about how this is legal re: the anti-siphoning laws, and how it can be good for viewers if the first time in history that the Australian team is exclusively on Fox Sports - he kept parroting answers about how they've got womens cricket on free to air in greater numbers than ever before.

That wasn't the f**king question dickhead, people are furious that they won't be able to watch the Australia Day game without paying for it. You sold us out to Rupert and this will forever be your legacy.

Yeah cricket Australia have been trotting out this line that there’s more international cricket on FTA than ever before, but when most people hear that they aren’t going to think of women’s cricket.

Astonishing Sutherland has lasted 17 years.

Good

f**k t20, it's a bastardization of 50 over cricket with zero strategy

Its fuelling crickets growth. Wether you personally like it is immaterial.

I have fox for league anyway so it doesn't affect me personally

Fox sports has a $10 streaming package too from memory

There’s no $10 streaming package.

At this point in time the cheapest way to get fox sports is about $40/month

There’s talk of a sports only package but I’d be stunned if it was $10/month.

Its fuelling crickets growth. Wether you personally like it is immaterial.

There’s no $10 streaming package.

At this point in time the cheapest way to get fox sports is about $40/month

There’s talk of a sports only package but I’d be stunned if it was $10/month.
Through news limited digital

Front-Rower

First Grade
The FTA landscape is a bit different in the UK too

Yes, the public need to pay the Government a licence fee of around $300 AUD every year just to access FTA broadcasts on a colour TV (or $100 for a black and white set). The licence also covers Pay-TV, online streaming (including BBC iPlayer), recording and playback and many other services. So technically FTA is not so free.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

gUt

Coach
now this. If these dumb merkins go ahead with this I won't be listening. That'll show em.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/06/14...-from-radio-rights-for-first-time-in-80-years

Cricket Australia to end 80 years of tradition by excluding ABC from next round of radio rights

Cricket Australia is believed to be considering ending more than 80 years of tradition by excluding the ABC from the next round of radio rights.

Wide World of Sports has learned one or both of the commercial networks Crocmedia and Macquarie Media are favourites to secure the rights to broadcast international matches over the period of the next deal, believed to be five years.

ABC, which has covered cricket since starting broadcasts of the 1934 Ashes series from England, would be left without the rights to broadcast games played in Australia.

Final bids for rights were lodged with CA in mid-May, with a decision initially expected by the end of May.

It's believed the delay in announcing a deal is due to CA seeking assurances from Macquarie Media and Crocmedia that they can provide coverage to regional areas of Australia currently serviced by the ABC.

The ABC’s extensive regional network is thought to be the only factor keeping the public broadcaster in the frame to continue covering the game.

Sources close to the bidding process have confirmed to Wide World of Sports the plans to exclude the ABC are "more than a rumour" and “well advanced”.

ABC Radio Head of Sport Nick Morris has confirmed the organisation remains keen to continue broadcasting the game.

“We’re still in negotiations with Cricket Australia in regards to the rights,” he told Wide World of Sports.

The move to potentially end the ABC’s coverage comes just two months after CA signed a billion-dollar TV deal, ending an association with Nine dating back four decades.

ABC has a long history of covering cricket in Australia, with iconic voices such as Alan McGilvray and Jim Maxwell becoming household names.

Macquarie Media has broadcast cricket for the last five summers, with respected commentator Tim Lane leading the coverage, along with experts including former Australian captain Ian Chappell and Mike Hussey.

Crocmedia is the largest shareholder in Melbourne sports station SEN. Former ABC commentator Gerard Whateley has been SEN's leading caller since January and would be expected to head up the coverage, along with another ex-ABC expert in Simon Katich.

A CA spokesman told Wide World of Sports the governing body is still working through the rights process.

King hit

Coach
It will be a tremendous shame if the ABC lost the rights. They had some of the best commentary in any sport when Kerry/Maxwell and the indian guy (can't remember his name) were sitting together. Even though it has declined over the last few years it is still much better than the 9 dribblers and Triple M.

Latest posts