What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Origin

big hit!

Bench
The same reasons the NRL does anything: TV, TV and TV

I do wonder why they chose Sunday instead of Saturday..Saturday would've been f**king awesome

No way would they waste the jewel in the crown of rugby league on Saturday night. The NFL Super Bowl is also on a Sunday night after all. It's the biggest night of the week for network TV.

Besides, I guarantee that all those folks that watch 3-4 games a year, I..e. Origin and GF, would be doing something else on a Saturday night rather than watching a game of rugby league. It's a no brainier you put the game on when the average merkin is doing not much else

Valheru

Coach
No way would they waste the jewel in the crown of rugby league on Saturday night. The NFL Super Bowl is also on a Sunday night after all. It's the biggest night of the week for network TV.

Besides, I guarantee that all those folks that watch 3-4 games a year, I..e. Origin and GF, would be doing something else on a Saturday night rather than watching a game of rugby league. It's a no brainier you put the game on when the average merkin is doing not much else

80% of NFL games are played on Sunday and at least they have the courtesy to play the SB at 6:30 Eastern (3:30 Pacific).

Origin will of course kick off at around 8:18 on a Sunday night.

betcats

Referee
No they don't

Well the SB does because of 1 hour half time show.

Still, there is no reason other than the TV $ to have origin starting post 8PM on a Sunday.

The average NFL game goes for over 3 hours look it up. Its not just the superbowl, every NFL broadcast is 3 hours plus.

big hit!

Bench
80% of NFL games are played on Sunday and at least they have the courtesy to play the SB at 6:30 Eastern (3:30 Pacific).

SB goes for about 4.5 hours with all the ad stoppages and half time show. It still finishes around 10:30-11pm Eastern in the USA.

Origin isn't your run of the mill NRL game. This is one of the 4 marquee matches where a greater number of folks will have an interest in watching it.....if the time is right. Of course you maximise the broadcast benefits of it. They'll stil get 70-80k to the game.

T-Boon

Coach

It is still better than the same time on Wednesday, at least for people who have travelled from Qld given they would only have to take one day off work.

Valheru

Coach
SB goes for about 4.5 hours with all the ad stoppages and half time show. It still finishes around 10:30-11pm Eastern in the USA.

Origin isn't your run of the mill NRL game. This is one of the 4 marquee matches where a greater number of folks will have an interest in watching it.....if the time is right. Of course you maximise the broadcast benefits of it. They'll stil get 70-80k to the game.

I'm not asking for it to be an arvo game. I think 7pm kick off is reasonable.

big hit!

Bench
I'm not asking for it to be an arvo game. I think 7pm kick off is reasonable.

I don't disagree, but C9 are going to try and wring every cent out prime time revenue they can for the investment they've made. They don't make shit out of the NRL season apart from finals and the GF. Origin makes up for it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Sunday is good. Saturday would be better. Give people the day off instead of going to the game game late during the week.

Agree 1000%

I am pretty sure the reason for Sunday is because of the potential audience of non-RL sports fans. Origin generally drags those viewers in on a Wednesday or Sunday because there is no competition but viewership would drop in AFL states if it were up against an AFL game and would also lose some (if only some) viewers if it clashed with a Wallabies game.

OldPanther

Coach
I am pretty sure the reason for Sunday is because of the potential audience of non-RL sports fans. Origin generally drags those viewers in on a Wednesday or Sunday because there is no competition but viewership would drop in AFL states if it were up against an AFL game and would also lose some (if only some) viewers if it clashed with a Wallabies game.

You're right. Was looking at it from a rugby league fan perspective.

TV networks look at Saturday nights as ratings graveyards. Many people go out or are entertaining at home, they are rarely watching TV. Whereas Sunday nights, people are usually home at night as they have to go to work the next day so they want to get a good night's sleep, so it is the night they schedule shows that will pull in the ratings as it is the biggest night of the week audience wise.

That said, I agree with those who've said it shoukld be a 7.00 pm kick-off. I am so tired of games being shuffled around to fit in garbage like 60 Minutes or the lates Channel 9 "crap" reality show beforehand.

Latest posts