What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Test thread

milton

Juniors
Fiji Bati

1. Kevin Naiqama (c)
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Akuila Uate
4. Tyrone Phillips
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Jarryd Hayne
7. Henry Raiwalui
8. Kane Evans
9. Joe Lovodua
10. Tui Kamikamica
11. King Vuniyayawa
12. Salesi Junior Fainga'a
13. Jayson Bukuya

14. Eloni Vunakece
15. Pio Seci
16. Sitiveni Moceidreke
17. Pio Sokobalavu
18. Mikaele Ravalawa
19. Junior Roqica

PNG squad
Adex Wera (PNG Hunters), Enock Maki (PNG Hunters), Nene Macdonald (St George Illawarra Dragons), Junior Rau (PNG Hunters), Justin Olam (Melbourne Storm), Kurt Baptiste (Sydney Roosters), Lachlan Lam (Sydney Roosters), Luke Page (Burleigh Bears), James Segeyaro (Cronulla Sharks), Nixon Putt (PNG Hunters), Rhadley Brawa (PNG Hunters), Rhyse Martin (Canterbury Bulldogs), Richard Pandia (Ipswich Jets), Rod Griffin (Townsville Blackhawks), Stanton Albert (PNG Hunters), Thompson Teteh (PNG Hunters), Watson Boas (PNG Hunters), Willie Minoga (PNG Hunters)

Last edited:

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Hoping the Fiji team contains at the very least 1 local player, same goes with Samoa and Tonga..
Fiji Bati

1. Kevin Naiqama (c)
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Akuila Uate
4. Tyrone Phillips
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Jarryd Hayne
7. Henry Raiwalui
8. Kane Evans
9. Joe Lovodua
10. Tui Kamikamica
11. King Vuniyayawa
12. Salesi Junior Fainga'a
13. Jayson Bukuya

14. Eloni Vunakece
15. Pio Seci
16. Sitiveni Moceidreke
17. Pio Sokobalavu
18. Mikaele Ravalawa
19. Junior Roqica

Pommy

Coach
Thought this would have sold out by now?

Last year there were heaps of people lining up to buy tickets.
I would imagine it will be the same this year.
Plus don’t forget there’s two less teams this year.

Burns

First Grade
Last year there were heaps of people lining up to buy tickets.
I would imagine it will be the same this year.
Plus don’t forget there’s two less teams this year.
Probably more the kind of crowd to buy at the gate I guess.

Good to see NRL 360 being as condescending as possible towards the Pacific Test in the first 30 seconds just now.

Pommy

Coach

Good to see NRL 360 being as condescending as possible towards the Pacific Test in the first 30 seconds just now.

Glad I f**ked Fox off

Scubby

Juniors

Tonga would have competed and possibly beaten the Queensland team from that first game. The double standards is embarrassing.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Does anyone else see the Pacific Test evolving into something like State of Origin? Ok hear me out here I know you are all thinking there is no chance. But Origin wasn't played in front of huge crowds at every game in the very beginning, the TV ratings were nowhere near as monstrous in the beginning and the media attention was nowhere near what it is now. Origin grew in popularity because of the genuinely fierce rivalry and passion.

Tonga and Samoa are the only thing that comes close to Origin in RL for genuine rivalry and passion. This concept could seriously grow and be a huge vehicle for both countries to attract revenue and players. The concept could also be played to huge crowds in most cities in Australia and New Zealand as well as on the islands themselves.

Think about it in the longer term - three tests a year one in NZ, one in Aus and one on the islands (rotating between Samoa and Tonga each year). General RL fans and Polynesians from around the world tuning in each game to see the colour, passion, excitement and athletisism of what would be (at full-strength) some of the best players in the game.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Does anyone else see the Pacific Test evolving into something like State of Origin? Ok hear me out here I know you are all thinking there is no chance. But Origin wasn't played in front of huge crowds at every game in the very beginning, the TV ratings were nowhere near as monstrous in the beginning and the media attention was nowhere near what it is now. Origin grew in popularity because of the genuinely fierce rivalry and passion.

Tonga and Samoa are the only thing that comes close to Origin in RL for genuine rivalry and passion. This concept could seriously grow and be a huge vehicle for both countries to attract revenue and players. The concept could also be played to huge crowds in most cities in Australia and New Zealand as well as on the islands themselves.

Think about it in the longer term - three tests a year one in NZ, one in Aus and one on the islands (rotating between Samoa and Tonga each year). General RL fans and Polynesians from around the world tuning in each game to see the colour, passion, excitement and athletisism of what would be (at full-strength) some of the best players in the game.

Yes... but think it could be bigger.. in that it could have a bigger impact on the game because there is more room for it to expand and more opportunity for it to have a bigger impact... Tonga V Samoa.. 3 match series that everyone wants to watch and then.. NZ has a series with one and England a series with another and both have now a reasonable chance of attracting bumper crowds.. International Rugby League has been limited because it all looks the same.. But suddenly.. it is not.. and it will attract an audience in all sorts of places..

On another note.. If the guy running the Denver test can get 20000 people who know nothing of RL to come to a game then surely he could do something even better with a pacific cup concept played across a few pacific nations.. I am really hoping this is the dawning of a new era!! And if this years Samoa Tonga test sells out.. and next year they take it to a bigger stadium.. It could very quickly be vital to the future success of the game.

siv

First Grade
I would it to evolve into a 4 nation series over 3 weekends

Top 2 join NZ Australia England winner of a Euro 4 nations - in a northern hemishphere post season 6 nations

Bottom 2 should play in a Tier 2 6 nations with Cook Is Niue Vanuatu and Hawaii

Storm13

Juniors
Would love to see a 6 nations once every four years between NZ, AUS, TON, PNG, SAM and FIJI over five weekends as triple headers. Played at Syd, Mel, Bris, Perth, NZ and maybe even PNG. Make it into an event.

Could even have mid year test count as round one to save time.

Springs09

Juniors
I would it to evolve into a 4 nation series over 3 weekends

Top 2 join NZ Australia England winner of a Euro 4 nations - in a northern hemishphere post season 6 nations

Bottom 2 should play in a Tier 2 6 nations with Cook Is Niue Vanuatu and Hawaii

Okay idea but Hawaii isn't a nation

JasonE

Bench
I was surprised to see Matt Parish still coaching Samoa, I can’t believe he wasn’t sacked after the WC cos he has taken them so far backwards it’s incredible.
What is his win/loss record ?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Watching the Pacific Test (Samoa v Tonga) surely given Tonga's form and the rivalry with the Kiwis, surely new Zealand should play Tonga in the Pacific Test next year either at the new Parra stadium or in New Zealand, There would be some serious hype around that match.

PNG can play Fiji and Samoa Cook Islands or something.

jim_57

Staff member
Would love to see a 6 nations once every four years between NZ, AUS, TON, PNG, SAM and FIJI over five weekends as triple headers. Played at Syd, Mel, Bris, Perth, NZ and maybe even PNG. Make it into an event.

Could even have mid year test count as round one to save time.

It very doable during 'tour years' with the tour host involved. Assuming there is one tour each way every 4 years you can have a full Pacific & Euro cups incorporated.

For example when England/GB tour down here.

Week 1
Australia V PNG (Pool A)
Tonga/Fiji V England (Tour)
NZ V Samoa (Pool B)

Week 2
Fiji V Australia (A)
PNG/NZ V England (Tour)
Samoa V Tonga (B)

Week 3
Australia V England (Tour 1 of 3)
PNG V Fiji (A)
NZ V Tonga (B)

Week 4
Pacific Cup Final (A V B)
England V Aboriginal All Stars or NZ Maori

Week 5&6
Australia V England (2 & 3)

Same format for the Euro Cup for when NZ or Australia tour Europe.

latingringo101

Juniors
Awesome atmosphere the Pacific Tests this year! Surprising result with PNG over Fiji and Tonga showing their class over Samoa!

Singing and performances definitely showed and the passion of the Pacific Islanders showed that the Pacific Tests are getting bigger and better!

Almost 18 k for the attendance, hopefully next year its played at Parramatta's new stadium as a double header (that'd be awesome!)

thorson1987

Coach
36064553_10155459682896820_13021464668143616_n.jpg

Latest posts