What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Tomb Raider- Alicia Vikander goes alright, fairly average film though.

Red Sparrow- yikes, well I really enjoyed Tomb Raider compared to this. Very boring. :thumbsdown: At least there were some comedy elements, like Lawrence trying to do a Russian accent then giving up halfway through the movie.

Death of Stalin. One of the funniest movies I've seen this year. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

I quite liked Death of Stalin too.

At first I thought the main characters speaking in their native American or English accents while portraying Russians would be distracting and shit but it works and after a while you don’t really notice it. In some respects it adds to it.

Stalin having a “well ‘ard” Cockney accent was hilarious.

I’m a bit of a history buff and watched many documentaries on Stalin, but even without that I think most would still find it funny.

Compared to Red Sparrow where she fades in and out of a Russian accent, that was probably more distracting.

Generalzod

Immortal
cosmos a spacetime odyssey

Cosmos_BonusPackage05_BlackHoleAndTheEventHorizon_H264_e_1920x1080_213615171568.jpg
It's a good show and a good remake to Carl Sagan series of Cosmos, Neil Degrasse Tyson kind explained it with out being so scientific which was easier to understand, I still watch it on Netflix.
If you enjoy Cosmos did you like the film based on Carl Sagan's book Contact?

Smack

Coach
It's a good show and a good remake to Carl Sagan series of Cosmos, Neil Degrasse Tyson kind explained it with out being so scientific which was easier to understand, I still watch it on Netflix.
If you enjoy Cosmos did you like the film based on Carl Sagan's book Contact?

tbh I'm just getting into it and I really tripped the f**k out from episode 1. It made me feel bad for science in the sense that religion held it back for centuries. But I'm pretty stoned when I watch it otherwise everything will go over my head. I'm up to episode 12.

The part where he was explaining about how there were two sides to the world and they didn't know each other existed until they explored, it's the trippiest part because it's exactly our time now that we have not explored other galaxies. We gotta explore!!

Born too early for interstellar travel..

But born just in time for trump

What a f**king time to be alive

ANTiLAG

First Grade

At first I thought the main characters speaking in their native American or English accents while portraying Russians would be distracting and shit but it works and after a while you don’t really notice it. In some respects it adds to it.

Stalin having a “well ‘ard” Cockney accent was hilarious.

I’m a bit of a history buff and watched many documentaries on Stalin, but even without that I think most would still find it funny.

I'm bit of a history buff too, but Death of Stalin is just a brilliant comedic film - entirely historically accurate or not.

They did very very well with their style and approach. Just a great movie well made, the fact its historically informative just adds to its brilliant lustre. It is a gamble to present such issues and facts as a comedy - but they did and nailed it.

axl rose

Bench

For whatever reason ive seen a hundred docos on Hitler but barely any on Stalin. Started reading more on the Eastern Front though, fascinating time in history (when you don't have to live through it)

Look Who's Back was another good movie. Hitler wakes up in modern day Germany. Very well done social, political and media commentary. Very funny as well, but not for the sensitive types. If you cant see the humour in Hitler visiting a newsstand in Berlin and picking up a paper written in Arabic or his reaction to Merkel as PM, give it a miss.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Dracula -1931

Felt like a short movie to watch when I couldn't get to sleep and it fitted the bill, one of the early Universal horror films just when the studios were switching from silent to sound movies, even though it is quite tame now you could work out why people would have been shocked by it back in the 1930s.
The visuals are terrific in the European/ Transylvanian scenes but the movie becomes quite static and plays out like a stage play when it transfers to London.
Renfield's trip to Draculas castle in the coach and when he enters the castle in all its glorious ruins and dark shadows and spider webs are chilling and atmospheric. The pace slackens when the story hits London and some of the acting gets hammy but Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula, Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan as Professor Van Helsing keep it moving along. Bela' accent works in his characters favour and adds a bit of sophistication to him being a count and Dwight Frye playing Renfield's descent into madness is fascinating and disturbing at the same time, it is so well done.

A Spanish version was being shot at the same time as the English version, one during the day and the other during the evening, overall even though I haven't watched it for a while the Spanish version is the superior one in the story telling factor with more action in some of the scenes like Dracula coming out of his coffin and Dracula praying on his victim but the one thing it doesn't have is Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye playing the principal roles, both of those are superb in the English version.

After watching Dracula I do have to catch up on the other Universal horrors like Frankenstein, the Mummy and The Wolfman and all their glorious and totally unbelievable sequels.

Generalzod

Immortal
Just finished watching The Walk on Netflix Levitt performance is great I thought it would be quite boring but I really did enjoy it

King hit

Coach
Saw the Incredibles 2 tonight

Didn't think it was as good as the first one as the villainy and action was lacking in this one compared to Syndrome's awesomeness and the epic battles with the robot and Syndrome's army from the original but it was a still a really good enjoyable movie. I'm a massive fan of the first one and was so excited to see the sequel.

8/10

Generalzod

Immortal
Saw the Incredibles 2 tonight

Didn't think it was as good as the first one as the villainy and action was lacking in this one compared to Syndrome's awesomeness and the epic battles with the robot and Syndrome's army from the original but it was a still a really good enjoyable movie. I'm a massive fan of the first one and was so excited to see the sequel.
the
8/10
I enjoy watching Pixar movies we have the complete library at home, the best film we constantly watch at home is UP, a classic of a film.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Going back in time for this one but just watched 12 Angry Men. A simple film set in a single jurors room where they thrash out the verdict of a crime. Initial black & white opinions are swayed through great dialogue and re-enactment of the crime.
Some absolutely terrific character acting that I found totally enjoyable.

Get on up

The James Brown story.

5/5.

Full disclosure, I worship the Godfather of Soul. The hardest working man in show business. He paid the cost to be The Boss!!

That being said, the performance by Chadwick Boseman was f**king great.

An amazing story about a genuine musical genius.

Life's Good

Coach
Bushwick(Netflix). The plot centres around patriot militia taking control of America in the name of re-establishing the American way of life. This is apparently unfolding city by city but the residents of Bushwick(New York)attempt to fight back. Dave Bautista(of WWE fame) is one of 2 main characters who tries to find his way to a military evac point to be reunited with his family.
The film start had me hooked but after about half an hour it just ended up ambling along to a rather non descript finish which is a shame given it started out in a very interesting way. 4/10.

shiznit

Coach
Going back in time for this one but just watched 12 Angry Men. A simple film set in a single jurors room where they thrash out the verdict of a crime. Initial black & white opinions are swayed through great dialogue and re-enactment of the crime.
Some absolutely terrific character acting that I found totally enjoyable.
I remember going to watch this live in theatre when i was back in high school... the main dude was the dad from pack to rafters... it was bloody brilliant.

I haven’t seen the film version of it...

Life's Good

Coach
I remember going to watch this live in theatre when i was back in high school... the main dude was the dad from pack to rafters... it was bloody brilliant.

I haven’t seen the film version of it...
Make the effort to watch it mate. Henry Fonda is brilliant along with Jack Klugman & Jack Warden. The actor who plays lead guilty advocate(can’t remember his name)plays a great role also.
Next stop for me - Casablanca.

shiznit

Coach
Make the effort to watch it mate. Henry Fonda is brilliant along with Jack Klugman & Jack Warden. The actor who plays lead guilty advocate(can’t remember his name)plays a great role also.
I might give it a look this weekend...

axl rose

Bench
Bushwick(Netflix).
The film start had me hooked but after about half an hour it just ended up ambling along to a rather non descript finish which is a shame given it started out in a very interesting way. 4/10.

Bushwick- Apparently if there is a Civil War going on you can just assume the neighbors are playing Call of Duty. I've never wanted the main actresses to die so much in a film. Occasionally there is a hidden gem on Netflix, this aint it. 2/10

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Great movie.

The tension oozes out of the screen thanks to black and white.

You could never achieve that mood with colour.

I think the guilty advocate guy you are referring to was Lee J. Cobb.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Bushwick- Apparently if there is a Civil War going on you can just assume the neighbors are playing Call of Duty. I've never wanted the main actresses to die so much in a film. Occasionally there is a hidden gem on Netflix, this aint it. 2/10
Yeah, the sister was one annoying, whiny b*tch.