What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 Commentators (Poll included)

Who should lead Channel 7’s Cricket Coverage

• Michael Slater

• Mel McLaughlin

• Jim Wilson

• James Brayshaw

• Mark Taylor

• Bruce McAvaney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Das Gupta

Juniors
There is a reason nobody wants Clarke. Can't believe Brayshaw is getting another go. I hope he is not involved with the test coverage.

GongPanther

Referee
The commentary could somehow end up almost as bad as nines.
Yep. Just like Taylor's commentary. He decides to fit 1,000 words in every hour on a boring coaching clinic instead of actually commentating. Same for those other imbeciles in Warne and Clarke. Tune into the English feed on Fox when their tests are on,and it's not a wall to wall gob-fest.

Timbo

Staff member
My only hope about Warne on Fox, is that Fox are very clear about the fact that their focus is the sport and not the gibbering idiots calling the match.

They’ve punted commentators for not having a sport focus and negative fan reaction in the past for the rugby codes and AFL. Fox won’t want it to be like 9s old boys club because otherwise why will people pay for the subscription when they can just watch it for free?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Still wish Warne went to 7

if he idoesnt stop his crappy, non cricket ,bang your head against a wall, cringe worthy waffling on then i'll be penning daily letters to fox.

suggest others with fox subscription do the same

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Still wish Warne went to 7

if he improves and doesnt stop his crappy, non cricket ,bang your head against a wall, cringe worthy waffling on then i'll be penning daily letters to fox.

suggest others with fox subscription do the same
I'm hoping the gooduns they've got will offset warne.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Listening to Warne commentate when SOK is bowling is one of the worst pieces of commentary I have ever heard. He continually hung shit on him from start to finish, referred to him a a slow medium bowler that bowls nude balls, he would not even call him a spin bowler.

Atrocious commentary.

Timbo

Staff member
Listening to Warne commentate when SOK is bowling is one of the worst pieces of commentary I have ever heard. He continually hung shit on him from start to finish, referred to him a a slow medium bowler that bowls nude balls, he would not even call him a spin bowler.

Atrocious commentary.

Yeah, he doesn’t even try to hide his agendas. I also don’t know anyone who actually enjoys his commentary. Why are networks falling over themselves to sign him.

undertaker

Coach
Yeah, he doesn’t even try to hide his agendas. I also don’t know anyone who actually enjoys his commentary. Why are networks falling over themselves to sign him.

Its funny.

In the lead-up to Warne's signing with Fox, it was reported in the newspapers and media that during his time at Ch9, he 'commanded' up to $7000/day for his commentary during Ch9's test coverage (I say test coverage because with the exception of 2008/09 when he did the T20 matches vs South Africa in his first summer at Ch9 post-retirement, he was only used on their test coverage). In a 5-6 test summer, that is potentially up to $175k-$210k (if the test matches go to day 5), not to mention all the other perks, such as flying business class, staying in 5 star hotels, the occasional public speaking engagement or media promotion along the way etc. Quite unbelievable someone could get paid that amount to do nothing much other than constantly death-ride and spruik agendas against the likes of Steve O'Keefe, to kiss the arse of his favourite players (e.g. one day it was Yasir Shah who he kept promoting as the best wrist spinner in the world, but quickly moved on to singing praise to Kuldeep Yadav after Shah flopped during Pakistan's tour of Australia, much to the chagrin of the Pakistani fans), talking about favourite pizza toppings with James Brayshaw (my goodness, that was bad. The Boxing Day test vs India 4 years ago, he pretty much spent all of day 5, I think it was, talking about that and trying to run fan polls about their favourite pizzas).

The media promotion bit hit rock bottom when James Packer gave Warnie his own tv show in primetime in 2010....what a joke. The only bits that were remotely interesting were the Billy Birmingham "12th Man" skits. His feeble attempt to conduct interviews ala 60 Minutes-style flopped.

But what's even more baffling is not so much Ch9 keeping Warne on for so many years, as it's an old-boys club, with his former teammates Taylor/Slater/Healy there, and Chappelli, who's Warne's superior and will simply be the mouthpiece for any agenda Chappelli has, such as the hate for Steve Waugh. It is moreso how other tv organisations such as Sky Sports (UK), Star Sports (India), Supersport (South Africa) have also been keen to have him in their commentary box. Yes, he may have taken 708 test wickets, but regarding the commentary component, I just don't see what they find attractive or appealing in him. Cricket fans in the UK have been spared from him this year as Warne decided not to go there, but will have to put up with the double whammy of hearing the bogan tones during the World Cup and Ashes next year.

Easiest way for Fox Sports, Ch7 or other media outlets to save $7000/day during their cricket telecasts?

Don't sign Warne up.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
On the topic of this paragraph in this article:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/05/30/michael-slater-best-person-lead-sevens-cricket-coverage/

Other commentators who come to mind for Seven to sign are Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee, Michael Clarke, Alison Mitchell, Graeme Swann, Greg Blewett, Lisa Sthalekar, Belinda Clark, Kevin Pietersen and Mark Howard.

Oh no, please not

- Michael Clarke: hearing Clarkey stating the obvious with his Westy twang.
- Alison Mitchell: don't need to hear another feminist, whinging Pom deathriding Australia with glee
- Kevin Pietersen: see above
- Mark Howard: AFL references galore alongside Damien Fleming

McGrath and Lee I could handle and would make good additions.

undertaker

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...ns-on-with-channel-seven-20180710-p4zqkc.html

So, it is confirmed:

- James Brayshaw & Mel McLaughlin are co-anchoring the Ch7 coverage

- Tim Lane, James Brayshaw & Alison Mitchell are the ball-by-ball commentators

- Ricky Ponting, Glenn McGrath, Damien Fleming, Michael Slater are the main color commentators.

- Jason Gillespie & Simon Katich will be used for certain tests. Gillespie at Adelaide and Katich at MCG/SCG

- Brad Hodge used for Ch7's T20 coverage

- Bruce McAvaney will conduct interviews during the lunch break of the MCG/SCG tests.

- Greg Blewett's role not confirmed yet.

Such a shame the FTA viewers will have to put up with Brayshaw again, just as we thought we'd been given a reprieve from hearing his voice in the commentary box after he left Ch9 a couple of years ago. Also, completely unsurprising the pro-AFL contingent (Brayshaw, Lane, Fleming, McAvaney) that was going to get involved with the cricket coverage.

But if Ch7 were thinking of hiring someone from Pommyland, they should've made a serious play for David Lloyd. Missed opportunity there.

Edit: Forgot to add that Lisa Sthalekar and Abbey Gelmi are also part of the Ch7 coverage:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...ison-mitchell-tim-lane-departure-nine-formula

Last edited:

JW

Coach
That is absolutely horrible TBH. Where to start? Brayshaw and Bruce FFS.

Not really a huge fan of Fox's lineup, but Jesus Christ that is bad.

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm starting to miss Nein already.

Latest posts