What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coheed and Cambria...The Year of the Black Rainbow

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Hell Yeah. I picked up a leaked copy of it. I'll definitely be buying it as any Coheed album is better than 95% of the other stuff available.

Its a decent album. Some of the stuff is as prog as coheed has ever been, although there are some really basic songs that worked there way onto the last album. I've always liked coheed for using different song structures and different parts, and that hasnt been as prominent in this record or NWFT.

I was hoping TYOTBR would be another 15 songer like iv, but they've sought of moved themselves towards the more commercial song/album length.

There also arent as many really cool vocal parts like in 'the crowing', 'blood red summer', 'radio bye bye'.

Its a good album; not exactly what i had hoped for their last album (i guess).

Flapper

First Grade
Excellent. The furrow they plough is normally nowhere near my thing, but they're f**king fantastic.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I'm not a huge fan of Coheed and Cambria, the vocals have been too whiny for my liking (in saying that, I love the song Welcome Home), but these new songs sound much better than their previous work IMO. I might check out the album.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Yeah, I saw them when they toured for Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV. They also toured for NWFT which was a year or two ago (they were originally playing soundwave 2008 although they pulled out and did a tour later that year.

Absolutely incredible live- spot on! I'm sure they'll come out for this new album too, if you get a chance go and see them.

Bazal

Post Whore
Is an 8 year bump acceptable? f**k it I've been here way longer than 8 years :p

Since this thread we've seen The Afterman Pt 1 &2, which were excellent IMO and their best story contribution lyrically, but received mixed receptions from fans, and The Colour Before The Sun, a non story album that was excellent in its' high points and less so in it's lows....

Now we're back to the story, seemingly post apocalypse, with this epic that sounds like Domino the Destitute if it was written for one of the Good Apollo albums....

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
That sounds really strong - would love that to be an indication of the rest of the album.

I liked both afterman's together but individually theyeft me wanting more.

Bazal

Post Whore
That sounds really strong - would love that to be an indication of the rest of the album.

I liked both afterman's together but individually theyeft me wanting more.

Second song is out there now....totally different vibe. I really like it though, kinda feels like Prize Fighter Inferno crossed with that stadium rock thing a big chunk of No World For Tomorrow had going on. Sounds like a single

Xcalibre

Juniors
They used to be one of my fav bands but not so much anymore. Their albums have gotten less enjoyable over the years.

I was listening to The Afterman: Descension for the second or third time the other day and didn't like most of it.

Still enjoy TSSTB, IKSSE & GAIBS4v1. Don't think I've heard the other albums. Edit: NWFT is good too and the first song linked is pretty rad.

Saw them at Soundwave 2011 and was very disappointed. I'd been looking forward to seeing them live and they sounded terrible. Think (hope) it was just a problem with the sound equipment.

Last edited:

Xcalibre

Juniors
Here's the music video for Unheavenly Creatures..

I'm diggin it but it's bordering on too pop.

Bazal

Post Whore
They used to be one of my fav bands but not so much anymore. Their albums have gotten less enjoyable over the years.

I was listening to The Afterman: Descension for the second or third time the other day and didn't like most of it.

Still enjoy TSSTB, IKSSE & GAIBS4v1. Don't think I've heard the other albums. Edit: NWFT is good too and the first song linked is pretty rad.

Saw them at Soundwave 2011 and was very disappointed. I'd been looking forward to seeing them live and they sounded terrible. Think (hope) it was just a problem with the sound equipment.

The Afterman (both parts) is a funny one, seems people either love it or hate it almost. I think lyrically in terms of the story it's easily their strongest work personally, and I enjoy it musically. Along with No World for Tomorrow I'd say it's my standout favourite of their stuff.

Second Stage for example is a cracking album musically but some of the lyrics are a bit cringey lol

I've seen them twice and they kicked arse both times. Moshcam has one of the Sydney gigs I was at up on Youtube...it loses something as most live shows do when recorded but still worth checking out. I think 2011 Claudio would have still been having his throat problems? Not sure....

Here's the music video for Unheavenly Creatures..

I'm diggin it but it's bordering on too pop.

I'm keen on the in-story video, anf the whole 80s sci-fi thing. Very cool.

It's poppy but it's no Blood Red Summer or The Suffering in that regard tbh. They normally have a few poppy tracks on every album, I think Year of the Black Rainbow was the only one without a really poppy song...it kind of spread the pop into a few melodic rock songs instead.

I pretty much love everything they do, although the last album was a bit less enjoyable on the whole but even that had some great tracks.

Xcalibre

Juniors
The Afterman (both parts) is a funny one, seems people either love it or hate it almost. I think lyrically in terms of the story it's easily their strongest work personally, and I enjoy it musically. Along with No World for Tomorrow I'd say it's my standout favourite of their stuff.

Second Stage for example is a cracking album musically but some of the lyrics are a bit cringey lol

I've seen them twice and they kicked arse both times. Moshcam has one of the Sydney gigs I was at up on Youtube...it loses something as most live shows do when recorded but still worth checking out. I think 2011 Claudio would have still been having his throat problems? Not sure....

I'm keen on the in-story video, anf the whole 80s sci-fi thing. Very cool.

It's poppy but it's no Blood Red Summer or The Suffering in that regard tbh. They normally have a few poppy tracks on every album, I think Year of the Black Rainbow was the only one without a really poppy song...it kind of spread the pop into a few melodic rock songs instead.

I pretty much love everything they do, although the last album was a bit less enjoyable on the whole but even that had some great tracks.

Tbh, a lot of what I listen to, I don't hear most of the words, so the music and voice is the main attraction. This may seem weird but it's just the way I am. Maybe I'm ambivalent about the lyrics, or just can't discern them, I'm not sure. I probably only know most of the words to less than 50 songs of all artists I like.

I don't know about Claudio's throat. I can't remember clearly but iirc, it just sounded "messy". I've got a live dvd which has good audio from memory. Probably just unlucky.

Bazal

Post Whore
Been away, so forgot to bump this on release...album is out now.

Wow. It's an absolute f**king belter. Maybe their best, a huge return to form IMO. The only reason for the maybe is that it does get a bit samey in the middle, but holy balls is it good.

Latest posts