What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin Eligibility????

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Game 1 this year Anthony Milford represented Queensland. He was allowed to represent Samoa last week. Is NSW & QLD strong enough to not field other eligible Pacific Island players? Andrew Fifita and Daniel Tupou, Tariq Sims for NSW? Joe Ofahengaue, Jason Taumalolo, Sam Kasiano, Josh McGuire, Korbin Sims for QLD? or do the players play for whoever they want if they want to play for QLD/NSW and the PI teams they can? or they HAVE to or CHOOSE to play for Australia?? Sounds confusing or is the rules flexible now? The good thing is if you back to years ago star players would choose to play Origin and for Australia but the good thing is the star players have gone to represent their heritage and the surge of popularity in the Pacific teams.

So since Milford was allowed to represent his heritage and State does this mean others are now allowed? maybe we can even throw Victoria in their :):) with Gareth Widdop and Mahe Fonua…. o_O

deluded pom?

Coach
As long as Australia get first dibs dual eligible players across tier 1 and 2 can play SoO without any problems. It’s when Australia get knocked back in favour of a tier 2 nation that the problems begin. Fifita is just as eligible to play for NSW and Tonga as Milford is to play for QLD and Samoa but Milford has never turned Australia down so he is OK to play SoO. Fifita however was a bad boy and turned his back on Australia and will never play SoO again IMO. Hypocrites. They want to be seen to be doing the right thing by tier 2 nations but hate the thought that a player would choose that nation over Australia.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Fifita has the right to play for Tonga, NSW & Australia (dual eligibility). He has decided to exclusively play for Tonga.

NSW and Australia have the right not to select him anymore as they would like to focus on props that are committed to Australia.

Milford has the right to play for QLD and Samoa (dual eligibility). He has decided to keep his options open which he is allowed to do under the rules.

QLD and Australia will continue to select Milford if he is the top squad of players as he is a player that is available to them in the long-term.

No one has really done anything wrong here. We have to remember that most PI players are Australian / or NZ born. If we tighten up the eligibility and make them choose, the majority will choose Origin and Australia (which they have every right to do as it is his country of birth) and the Island nations will suffer. You also can't force someone like Milford to play for Samoa exclusively by telling Australia or Queensland not to select him as it severely and unfairly restricts potential income that he is entitled to as an Australian and Queenslander.

I think where the game is right now, we have got it just right and has seen the dramatic improvement of Tonga, Fiji and Samoa (let's not forget the 2014 four nations). PNG are in the best position as they produce more of their own players (that are eligible for PNG only) than the other three do.

The RLIF were talking recently about a collective agreement that will even out player payments. I don't know exactly how this can work but if they can do something like this it will be huge for the international game and the teir 2 European and Pacific nations.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Fifita sid he would play in Game 1and 3 if NSW selected him.

I thought Milford wasn’t selected for QLD in game 2, hence why he played for Tonga.

adamkungl

Immortal
As long as Australia get first dibs dual eligible players across tier 1 and 2 can play SoO without any problems. It’s when Australia get knocked back in favour of a tier 2 nation that the problems begin. Fifita is just as eligible to play for NSW and Tonga as Milford is to play for QLD and Samoa but Milford has never turned Australia down so he is OK to play SoO. Fifita however was a bad boy and turned his back on Australia and will never play SoO again IMO. Hypocrites. They want to be seen to be doing the right thing by tier 2 nations but hate the thought that a player would choose that nation over Australia.

The issue was more likely that he wouldn't be available for Game 2 due to repping Tonga and they wanted players that are committed for 3 games, not picking and choosing.

Pommy

Coach
The issue was more likely that he wouldn't be available for Game 2 due to repping Tonga and they wanted players that are committed for 3 games, not picking and choosing.

Which seems like a pretty acceptable position for NSW to take to me.
They want players committed to winning the series and as little disruption to the playing squad as possible.

adamkungl

Immortal
Which seems like a pretty acceptable position for NSW to take to me.
They want players committed to winning the series and as little disruption to the playing squad as possible.

For sure. The position NSW was in required total commitment. I wouldn't have wanted anyone chosen who said they weren't available for game 2, regardless of the reason.

Also, Fittler said he wanted to pick players who were respected as much off the field as on it. And unfortunately for Fifita he doesn't really fit the bill in the eyes of many. He's been a walking headline for 2 years.

As little respect as I have for the Kangaroos in the last few years, to blame Fifita's non-selection as sour grapes over Tonga is an over-simplification and a big stretch.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
For sure. The position NSW was in required total commitment. I wouldn't have wanted anyone chosen who said they weren't available for game 2, regardless of the reason.

Also, Fittler said he wanted to pick players who were respected as much off the field as on it. And unfortunately for Fifita he doesn't really fit the bill in the eyes of many. He's been a walking headline for 2 years.

As little respect as I have for the Kangaroos in the last few years, to blame Fifita's non-selection as sour grapes over Tonga is an over-simplification and a big stretch.

Although they did select James Roberts..

deluded pom?

Coach

Even if Fifita had the profile of Lockyer (public profile, not talent) I doubt he’d ever play for Australia again.

Latest posts