What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt is No7 for Queensland

Drag Queen

Bench
all of you guys putting poor Hunt in the same category as pathetic idiot and total criminal Pearce need a wake up call
Who put Hunt in the same category as Pearce nontime? He'll bounce back but his confidence may be down atm. No disrespect for the guy at all but f**k I enjoyed the win. It was an epic game that could have gone either way. Maloney probably won it for us with his kicking skills. Now for the third chapter.

JDHD

Juniors
Who put Hunt in the same category as Pearce nontime? He'll bounce back but his confidence may be down atm. No disrespect for the guy at all but f**k I enjoyed the win. It was an epic game that could have gone either way. Maloney probably won it for us with his kicking skills. Now for the third chapter.

What better team to regain confidence against than the Eels?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
What better team to regain confidence against than the Eels?

Yes very true, but you also have to consider the real possibility we lose against the Eels and Hunt continues ti play poorly. What happens then?
Hunts' predicament is delicate and I would luke him to play tomorrow, if only to prove the doubters wrong. But a mental rest and get his injury right is also an important factor to consider.

nontime111

Juniors
someone mentioned them in the same sentence on the last page hes way better than Pearce , wasnt a direct comparison sorry but irked me Pearce killed NSW for years as a QLD fan I always want equal teams we have that now happy days!

ouryears

Bench
someone mentioned them in the same sentence on the last page hes way better than Pearce , wasnt a direct comparison sorry but irked me Pearce killed NSW for years as a QLD fan I always want equal teams we have that now happy days!
Well I think he is about Pearce's level.

About Jamie Sowards level.

Behind Ben Hornby.

The ball is in his court.

getsmarty

Immortal
The Dragons have come out in support of halfback Ben Hunt, who they feel has been made a scapegoat for the Maroons series defeat
Queensland
  • July 2, 2018 2:39pm
  • Source: AAP
8eaf41a231116e1532be10c8e765ebf9

Ben Hunt has been dropped to the bench in favour of Daly Cherry-Evans for Game III. Pics Adam HeadSource: News Corp Australia
BEN Hunt’s St George Illawarra teammates say it was the wrong call for Queensland to drop the halfback to the bench for the State of Origin dead rubber.

Hunt bore the brunt of criticism for the Maroons’ series-deciding Game II loss, and Queensland coach Kevin Walters admitted on Monday his team had lacked leadership in the halves as he selected Daly Cherry-Evans as No.7.

686784_640x360_large_20180702092704.jpg

DCE to start over Hunt?

But that comment didn’t go down well in Wollongong, with Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes coming out in support of his teammate after the pair had helped take the Saints to the top of the NRL ladder this season.

“I think it’s the wrong decision,” McInnes said.

“They can do what they want, I’m not a Queensland fan. I’m NSW. But I don’t think he deserved to be put back to No.14.

“I thought he was their best player in Game I, he kept them in the game. In Game II he probably had a couple of moments he’d like to take back. But that’s footy.

“To put him to the bench I don’t think he deserves that. But he’ll play that No.14 role the best he can and he won’t complain and that’s the great thing about him.”

Hunt’s response to stinging criticism last week was telling in his ability to bounce back.

In his only NRL match before the sides for next week’s Origin were named, the 28-year-old kickstarted the Dragons’ comeback against Parramatta with a deep grubber for Euan Aitken to score.

It was a similar play that had him roasted after Origin II, when he kicked dead with a grubber while NSW were down to 12 men late in the close contest.

686809_640x360_large_20180702105255.jpg

'DCE is a great player'

1:27
“Any media or things out there, he didn’t care about that — he just wants to play footy,” McInnes said.

“Obviously the magnitude of the game in Origin, it stands out more. But players make mistakes in games, we all do.

“The good thing about him is he’s so relaxed and level headed that he comes back and plays well for us.”

McInnes wasn’t alone in his support.

Last week Dragons coach Paul McGregor said the criticism had been over the top, while centre Tim Lafai also questioned the demotion on Monday.

“I thought he deserved to keep his starting spot and I’m sure the other boys did too,” he said.

Meanwhile Walters insisted Hunt still belonged in the Origin arena and claimed the move wasn’t made solely off the back of the Sydney loss.

“We know he belongs at this level, he does belong in this Queensland team, it’s just a matter of finding his role within the side,” Walters said.

“The interchange role is one that can be really effective at this level.

“To blame him for what happened in Game II is absolutely ridiculous, that has never been our stance.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...t/news-story/0d98cb206c315368327c3575447f9dfe

Gareth67

First Grade
Well bogger them , let them Queenslanders find out the hard way . There is no doubting that Ben didn't have the best of games in SOO 2 , but he certainly was not the only one .

Walters has yet to realise that the years of experience that he has lost with the retirements of Smith , Thurston and Cronk and you can also add the coaching ability of Meninga will take many a year to replace .

But to make Hunt the scapegoat is merely putting a band aid on a festering wound - it must be sterilised before it can heal .Lets see how D.C.Evans goes with that same pressure , not as well as our boy Hunt I am sure .