What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach
It's such an unbalanced weird arsed stadium, but I like it.
So close to the city centre which is a major plus.
I just don't like the open end but can understand why it was designed that way.
Bring it on!

It’s pretty much parras new stadium sans 2nd tier on the nthn end. Having an open end is great imo, the early season games would be shitful without some breeze coming off the ocean keeping the temps down (if there’s no rain about).

I really love it. Robina is a nice stadium but very bland, this is a bit more interesting to the eye, the roof will cost a bit I’d imagine to pass the wind requirements up there. I would have liked to have seen the whole nthn end be stepped concrete with some grass on top of each step and have that as cheap GA seating for those on a tighter budget. The original renderings looked to be that way but these new ones looks like its just a contiuation of the lower bowl with some standing platforms at the top.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...s/news-story/4b3c4295dedbd5e22ba311de8b74134c

Gold Coast Titans, Suns bosses hail hoped for new era at venues

Ryan Keen, Gold Coast Bulletin
July 5, 2018 12:00am

BOSSES at top Gold Coast sports franchises are hailing an anticipated new era for city stadiums with a tipped shift in focus toward attracting more big-shot events.

A review into the operation of Queensland venues, including Gold Coast Suns home Metricon and Gold Coast Titans fortress CBUS Super Stadium, will be unveiled within weeks.

It is expected the review, led by respected sports and tourism executive John Lee, will call for a fundamental shift from focusing on economics and return on investment to enabling more community benefit by filling up the calendar, the Bulletin understands.

Other understood changes are relief for franchises such as the Titans and Suns when it comes to punishing public transport levies dished out by Stadiums Queensland.

The levies are passed on to cover free or subsidised public transport which comes with game day tickets but for the Titans which have a large drive-up crowd any relief will be welcome.

The Gold Coast franchises and city leaders including Mayor Tom Tate have been at war with Stadiums Queensland about perceived exorbitant hiring costs and blaming it for losing acts including Bon Jovi to Brisbane venues. State Government has since completely replaced the board.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley said he was not aware of the outcome of the imminent Lee review but welcomed a shift in focus to getting more events, concerts and other codes’ fixtures at CBUS and Metricon.

“The whole point of having sporting infrastructure in the community is so it benefits the community.

“I don’t believe these sorts of taxpayer funded facilities should be used just for sporting codes. I would applaud any such change in focus.”

Mr Annesley said the Titans lobbied the stadiums review for the Gold Coast to be treated as a regional city not a capital one when it comes to “high” transport levies.

The bigger cities had much larger, better patronised public transport than the Gold Coast: “It’s still very much a drive mentality for the residents on the Gold Coast to get where they need to.”

The Titans inked a 10-game-a-year, five-year deal for CBUS recently but the contract is fluid to allow for relief on transport levies that might result from the stadiums review.

Titans chairman Dennis Watt said city stadiums were “a significant investment and it would be great to see our stadiums getting greater usage for the benefit of the Gold Coast public”.

“Whether other sports or concerts, it takes the pressure off the Titans to carry the weight of the cost for that piece of infrastructure.

“It moves us closer to a level playing field to our other competitors in the NRL.”

Mr Watt said savings would be ploughed back into Titans playing talent and junior pathways for males and females.

Suns chairman Tony Cochrane, who last month called for Stadiums Queensland to be renamed Stadiums Brisbane alleging bias, said: “We have been trying for a long time to attract additional product to Metricon. We have made enormous efforts and every time we are beaten by Stadiums Queensland’s own venues in Brisbane.

If they are going to have more of a statewide approach rather than Brisbane-centric approach, we would welcome that with open arms.”

A dozen Suns home games a year pumped $29m into the Gold Coast economy and a further six events or concerts at Metricon would inject a further $15m, Mr Cochrane said.

taipan

Referee
It's such an unbalanced weird arsed stadium, but I like it.
So close to the city centre which is a major plus.
I just don't like the open end but can understand why it was designed that way.
Bring it on!

Open end close to the nearby creek.Ideal well planned.Gives the local crocs direct access and a chance to get a bit of fatty meat, hopefully of the Rothfield variety.
Like it nonetheless.Cow's crowds should jump as a result.

juro

Bench
Open end close to the nearby creek.Ideal well planned.Gives the local crocs direct access and a chance to get a bit of fatty meat, hopefully of the Rothfield variety.
Like it nonetheless.Cow's crowds should jump as a result.
Gees, imagine how sick that poor croc would get...

taipan

Referee
the poor croc would become an instant alcoh

Look on the bright side. One less inept league journo to contend with ,one carefree croc with a perpetual drinker's smile.
Although if it were Massoud,the croc would be sh*t scared.

beave

Coach
My only concern with the stadium is that video screen looks a bit small, and having it mounted that low and behind the goal post might be a pain in the ass to view. I reckon it would be better placed in a corner at the northern end.

Looks like there is a field club where the players run out on the western side. Wonder if the players will come out of there like the Minnesota Viking players do in their new stadium. I really hope we are allowed to have some ownership over the small decorative faff to give the stadium a western theme.

Last edited:

Latest posts