What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

INTERESTING! St George set for 100% of JV

Gareth67

First Grade
The author is an ex member of Jubilee Avenue forum and a long term Saints supporter

Well my apologies Stan , being a ex- member of the most prestigious Jubilee Avenue certainly means that the chap would know what he is talking about . And to put the icing on the cake he is also a long term Saints supporter , sort of puts my 1/2 century plus to shame .

Fact is that i read it on the back page of the Daily Telegraph , was'nt too interested in the authors name as we are all well aware that the media never , ever prints anything unless it is correct .

BennyV

Referee
Crazy. How is that possible? How many people play a night and how much coin do they each drop?
It doesn't add up to me. I can't see more than 100-200 people playing the pokies on a mid-week night at SG leagues club. Multiple people are dropping 10s of thousands in order to get to a million.
You’d be surprised how many people pump thousands into those machines every day.

ouryears

Bench
Mick he is a clone and in my option is as bad if not worse than doust.
Weird that you criticise poor management but won't criticise poor coaching and poor player performances.

Why is that?

Lose the us vs them blue collar mentality Samy.

The main point is hopefully we will bury Illawarra in the pile of dung we leave behind once we pay the bill.

Before Illawarra met us they had never won a thing, and since you bunch of averages merged with us, we have become a bunch of average meat heads too.

We need to shake the fleas off the Dragons.

ouryears

Bench
Given the current development in and around Kogarah I’m surprised they haven’t knocked the whole place down and built units with the club on the bottom two floor, they would make a fortune, but then with the big one on Rocky Point Road already started they may have already missed the boat on that.
There is a massive development plan and zillions of dollars soon to be announced.

Will leave all other clubs in our wake.

And also brexit Illawarra!!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I for one like the idea of St George Leagues buying up the Illawarra half of the joint venture and us going back to be St George Dragons, with our headquarters and base at Kogarah. We could still play a few games at Wollongong. Say 3 games a year at Wollongong and 9 at Kogarah.

Have no idea what the junior base is like in the St George area but it’s pretty strong in the Illawarra part.

Additionally I dare say the St George population can’t really grow much more as the area is already built up, however there is plenty of growth in the Illawarra with several new large estate developments.

Only having 3 games in the Illawarra (4 games is already ridiculous for such a strong league area) is really entering danger area for the region and really leaving it open to AFL (which is growing ) or soccer.

You wouId be risking one of largest junior bases (and growing) in the country, if NRL games / dragons moved away or only played 3 games.

SBD82

Coach
Weird that you criticise poor management but won't criticise poor coaching and poor player performances.

Why is that?

Lose the us vs them blue collar mentality Samy.

The main point is hopefully we will bury Illawarra in the pile of dung we leave behind once we pay the bill.

Before Illawarra met us they had never won a thing, and since you bunch of averages merged with us, we have become a bunch of average meat heads too.

We need to shake the fleas off the Dragons.
Is there anyone who still doesn't recognize @ouryears for the troll that he is? Anyone?

SBD82

Coach
Anywhere and everywhere. It’s a real addiction, as bad (if not worse) as smoking or booze. These people await their paycheque so they can put it through the pokies. They will go without eating. They will go into debt. It’s really scary shit.
This. And worse.

Imagine someone being so committed to the machine that they are playing, that they are unwilling to leave it even to go to the toilet. You'd be surprised how common it is.

The Damo

Juniors
Anywhere and everywhere. It’s a real addiction, as bad (if not worse) as smoking or booze. These people await their paycheque so they can put it through the pokies. They will go without eating. They will go into debt. It’s really scary shit.
This is absolutely true, and the fact our clubs rely on and encourage it is a disgrace.
They are also use as money laundering sites for cash only black markets which is a small but significant percentage of the total.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
What the hell are you talking about? I really hope you're not talking about training jerseys or polos because lol

We have constantly played in red and white for the last decade, with barely any exceptions, certainly not enough of them to be a problem.

What's the name of that Jethro Tull song again?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I was wondering if anyone would have any idea of how much St Georges Leagues club would be worth. I am only talking about the actual Leagues club and the land that the Leagues clubs sits on, not the other assets that the League's Club owns. Like say if someone wanted to buy St George Leagues Club?

Then how much would it cost to buy St George Illawarra Rugby League Club too. I am thinking that they may want 40 million for St George Illawarra Rugby League Club, but have no idea how much it would cost to purchase the Leagues Club too.

ouryears

Bench
Have no idea what the junior base is like in the St George area but it’s pretty strong in the Illawarra part.

Additionally I dare say the St George population can’t really grow much more as the area is already built up, however there is plenty of growth in the Illawarra with several new large estate developments.

Only having 3 games in the Illawarra (4 games is already ridiculous for such a strong league area) is really entering danger area for the region and really leaving it open to AFL (which is growing ) or soccer.

You wouId be risking one of largest junior bases (and growing) in the country, if NRL games / dragons moved away or only played 3 games.
How about we still take the juniors but get rid of everything else called Illawarra.
Also, how many Illawarra juniors are playing in our firsts?
Any?

Like all other teams, just buy players.
Seriously, name the current local juniors in first grade.

Time to exit Illawarra, because they are a road to mediocrity.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
How about we still take the juniors but get rid of everything else called Illawarra.
Also, how many Illawarra juniors are playing in our firsts?
Any?

Like all other teams, just buy players.
Seriously, name the current local juniors in first grade.

Time to exit Illawarra, because they are a road to mediocrity.

According to the dragons site you have a squad of 33 players https://www.dragons.com.au/teams/

10 players from that squad have played juniors in the Illawarra/group 7 comp:

Marsters
Frizell - playing firsts
Sims - playing firsts
Ford
Lawrie - playing firsts
Lomax
Sailor
Garrick
Field
Aitken - playing firsts

That’s pretty impressive with nearly a third of the squad from the Illawarra and 4 are playing NRL.

And while some of the above may have been recruited as teenagers and played in the Illawarra comp, the fact the local comp was strong enough to support their development is important (did you know the sharks under 16 A grade sides were playing in the Illawarra comp for a few years as their comp wasn’t strong enough).

Also other Illawarra juniors playing NRL/or nrl contracted include Merrin/Morris twins/Murchie/Sims/linnett/Rein/Prior/Cook (I am sure I have probably missed a player or 2)

So the area produces plenty of players

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
How about we still take the juniors but get rid of everything else called Illawarra. Also, how many Illawarra juniors are playing in our firsts? Any? Like all other teams, just buy players. Seriously, name the current local juniors in first grade. Time to exit Illawarra, because they are a road to mediocrity.

Off the top of my head Frizzel, Sims, Field, Luc Leilua, Aitken, Lawrie. Probably a few others. A lot playing for other clubs. Oh, and MacGregor of course.

Frankly, if you don't develop juniors that just turns you into a Manly or a Roosters or a Storm type club ie clubs with no soul. Who wants to support that?

Latest posts