What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vereya Bears

yakstorm

First Grade
I want to say yes, but I feel that the pages I was reading about them are confusing Rugby Union and Rugby League.

They were definitely part of it in 2015 as they won their first piece of silverware, defeating the Moscow Magicians.

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
Okay can confirm in 2017 the teams were:

Central Conference:
CSKA Moscow
Spartak Moscow
Moscow Magicians
Veyra Bears
Kostroma Spartans

Urals Conference:
RK Vityez / Perm Knights
Ekaterinburg
Chelyabinsk Bersek
Tyumen Adrenalin

All of those Nine, plus a number from the previous seasons are expected to take part in the 2018 RRLF season.

jim_57

Staff member
Okay can confirm in 2017 the teams were:

Central Conference:
CSKA Moscow
Spartak Moscow
Moscow Magicians
Veyra Bears
Kostroma Spartans

Urals Conference:
RK Vityez / Perm Knights
Ekaterinburg
Chelyabinsk Bersek
Tyumen Adrenalin

All of those Nine, plus a number from the previous seasons are expected to take part in the 2018 RRLF season.

Good to see the game in Russia still going relatively well. I've found it interesting they've had names like Spartak, CSKA & Locomotiv involved and wonder whether any would be willing to push further by approaching the UK leagues or a combined effort at upping the standard of the domestic league. Russia are big chance at a World Cup appearance in 2021, hopefully if they make it it can be a real boost for the sport.

yakstorm

First Grade
Cheers, are they playing nines or the full form of rugby league.

Those Nine teams all took part in the National Championship, which is a full home & away 13-a-side league. As shown by CSKA Moscow's result against Patizan Belgrade, the competition is a decent standard, which is as a good, if not better than any of the other playing Eastern European nations.

For me, I'd love to know what happened in 2016 for Russia... in 2015, the year Vereya won, there was:
  • 4x Team North East Conference (Based around Perm)
  • 6x Team Southern Conference (Based around Rostov-on-Don)
  • 8x Team Moscow / Moscow-Oblast Conference
This 16x team competition was up from around 8x the year before, however it sounds like in 2016, only a quarter of the teams took part, with 2017 being a bit growth year from the year before.

Some of the clubs which took part in 2015 which seem to have disappeared include Moscow Lokomotiv, Storm and Red Arrows, the first being a name which has had been around Russian RL for a while.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Those Nine teams all took part in the National Championship, which is a full home & away 13-a-side league. As shown by CSKA Moscow's result against Patizan Belgrade, the competition is a decent standard, which is as a good, if not better than any of the other playing Eastern European nations.

For me, I'd love to know what happened in 2016 for Russia... in 2015, the year Vereya won, there was:
  • 4x Team North East Conference (Based around Perm)
  • 6x Team Southern Conference (Based around Rostov-on-Don)
  • 8x Team Moscow / Moscow-Oblast Conference
This 16x team competition was up from around 8x the year before, however it sounds like in 2016, only a quarter of the teams took part, with 2017 being a bit growth year from the year before.

Some of the clubs which took part in 2015 which seem to have disappeared include Moscow Lokomotiv, Storm and Red Arrows, the first being a name which has had been around Russian RL for a while.

Russia needs stability with the clubs, it is worrying that Vereya once one of the strong clubs seem to have disappeared.

It's typical league, when Russia was seen as having potential all the focus from the RLIF was there, they entered the Challenge Cup, Colin Love went for a holiday, oops I mean an official visit, they toured NZ etc.

Now that has disappeared and the focus is the USA.

Union has upped their funding into Russia with a consistent plan and they are reaping the rewards

deal.with.it

Juniors
Russia did face a lot of problems with RU. I couldn’t say whether this is still the same. Edgard Tutaryan is now 80 and was the leader of Vereya I believe, along with the now retired halfback Ososkov. These things happen. A couple of leaders step away and it all goes quiet.

It’s great the RLIF has employed 2 more staff. But until there has been enough revenue generated from all RLIF events to fund NGB grants AND therefore NGB employees, RL will struggle relying on volunteers.

deluded pom?

Coach
Russia needs stability with the clubs, it is worrying that Vereya once one of the strong clubs seem to have disappeared.

It's typical league, when Russia was seen as having potential all the focus from the RLIF was there, they entered the Challenge Cup, Colin Love went for a holiday, oops I mean an official visit, they toured NZ etc.

Now that has disappeared and the focus is the USA.

Union has upped their funding into Russia with a consistent plan and they are reaping the rewards
Former Kiwi coach Bob Bailey was also out there for a while.