What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis and England returning to Denver next year?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No, he means the World Club Challenge is usually held after 2 or 3 rounds of the ESL have already been played. Hence it's not the off-season for Super League clubs.

I didnt realise the SL season started so early, but i think that actually reenforces my point....

Why make the SL clubs fry all the way to Australia during their season, when the clubs can meet in the middle and halve the flight for the English teams.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why do you persist with this "no one cares" narrative when despite the whinging from Crisis Merchants, the fixture consistently draws crowds better than most NRL games regardless of whether it is held in England or Australia.

Pommy

Coach
Why do you persist with this "no one cares" narrative when despite the whinging from Crisis Merchants, the fixture consistently draws crowds better than most NRL games regardless of whether it is held in England or Australia.

If it’s not Australian it doesn’t matter.

Pommy

Coach
Just a thought but if I was the organisers I would try and speak to the big names in the Tongan team and see if they were onboard. If so try and ditch NZ in their favour. If the big names are serious about Tonga getting a go at the big three and put their weight behind it (like the kiwis didn’t) I’m sure the entire team would get behind it.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I couldn't agree more. Wish the NRL could use its might to actually promote the game world wide rather than stifle it.

Yeah cause they only spend more on footy internationally then any other national body bar none...

Crawley's article is very disingenuous, he knows damn well why the clubs were pissed about the Denver test and why they're not pissed about SOO- money! One basically funds their existence and the other was at their expense...

Ignoring this fact to attack the RLPA's very stupid red herrings isn't helping anybody, and it just plays to their favour.

Fix the real issue, that the Denver test was played at the expense of the NRL clubs then they'll support it and all mid-season internationals.

This bit really pissed me off-
And while the NRL this week rolled out plans to stage next year’s second Origin in Perth, still there is no commitment to what the mid-year international calendar holds for other nations over the next 12 months.

It's not the NRL's job or their responsibility to plan the international calendar!
Baring Roos games or the Pacific tests that they organise they should have ZERO input at all unless the game is going to directly effect them! And hey maybe if we put some rules in place so that internationals played during the NRL season (or any leagues season for that matter) effected them and their clubs as little as possible, with you know something like a compensation scheme and some cap relief for players lost to rep footy, then we could completely remove the necessity for the NRL and NRL clubs to be involved at all!

I mean f**k me passing the buck on to the NRL for everything and blaming them for everything isn't helping, it's compounding the problem, hell it's probably the biggest problem that international RL has!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Considering that the median NRL crowd is about 13k, thats not a high bar...

If "can get more than 13k inside Australia" is that measure, NO decent game would ever go overseas. That Eng-NZ game probably would have had 16k attending, should we have played that in Campbeltown then?

ruh rooooh

Pay delay raises doubts over future of mid-season US Test
Author
Michael Chammas
Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 1 Aug 2018, 03:01 PM

The future of the mid-season Test between England and New Zealand in the United States is in limbo with the NZRL and RFL still waiting on payment from the event promoter.

New Zealand players are expected to see the $5000 match fee in their bank accounts on Wednesday after the NZRL stumped up the cash. The NZRL will have to carry the $100,000 debt given Moore Sports haven't coughed up the agreed fee by the July 31 deadline.

The NZRL and the RFL signed a three-year agreement with Moore Sports International to play a Test on US soil until 2020, however it's understood there was a provision to review the agreement after the first year if there was a breach of contract.

"There's a three-year agreement afoot subject to review," NZRL chief executive Greg Peters told NRL.com.

"Commercially there are some challenges we want to work through with the promoter. We obviously want to be paid as soon as possible and we're working with Moore Sports for that to be achieved.

"The players have been paid and the two matters are not linked. The only hold-up in that was the US tax system and waiting on advice to get clarity around a correct position."

The NZRL is in a precarious position financially and having to carry a six-figure debt isn't helping its cause.

It is understood the Kiwi governing body has received part of the agreed payment but is still waiting on a large chunk of it.

While some Kiwi players were anxious about whether they would receive payment, NZRL officials insist the hold-up from Moore Sports wasn't related and they were simply working with the accountants to ensure they were compliant with the IRS withholding tax requirements.

While there has been plenty of resistance from the NRL and its clubs about the Denver Test, the new international calendar that was recently finalised in Singapore still provides the ability for England and New Zealand (or Australia for that matter) to continue playing a mid-season Test.

A West Coast destination like Los Angeles, San Francisco or San Diego would make more sense to the clubs and the governing body, however the financial uncertainty around Moore Sports has cast a doubt over the match altogether.

Moore Sports president and CEO, Jason Moore, recently partnered with US Olympic snowboarder Shaun White to bring Air + Style to Sydney – a snowboarding competition which was meant to feature headline music acts like Snow Patrol and Flo Rida.

He created a subsidiary company called Moore Snow Sports to bring a 16-storey ramp with imported snow to the Domain in Sydney on August 3 this year in the hope of replicating overseas events that have attracted crowds of 30,000.

However, Moore Snow Sports went into liquidation two weeks after the Denver Test and the company has been listed as "in liquidation" on the ASIC website.

The Air + Style event was subsequently cancelled and ticket holders were refunded.

NRL.com contacted Moore to comment on this article but he has not responded to those requests.

siv

First Grade
I would play the WCC on the Friday 3rd weekend of October

As the the last club fixture in the calender year and with current premiership squads

Then run internationals Oct-Nov

Latest posts