What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Star joining League 1?

deal.with.it

Juniors
Red Star Belgrade launches partnership with Dev Inno Ltd
Date: 3/7/18

Red Star Belgrade RLFC has today announced an innovative new partnership with Australian-based charity Dev Inno. The partnership will deliver new opportunities for business and entrepreneurship, and will bolster the rugby league club's ambitions to contest in higher profile competitions.

The partnership will create value for current and future Red Star Belgrade RLFC sponsors and partners by incorporating a business membership network, business workshops and an annual business summit. The Belgrade club is aiming to build value for investment, following recent revelations it is intending to enter a team in either the RFL's professional ranks or a newly created European-wide competition. The club is also discussing the potential to enter the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup, the sport's oldest knock-out tournament, as soon as 2019.

"We are very excited to partner directly with Dev Inno after having involvement in the sponsorship deal for the Balkan Super League with Dev Inno. Rugby League in the Balkans is growing rapidly and we see our role as assisting the Serbian Rugby League Federation to continue this strong growth and to show the world of rugby league the value of the game in Serbia, the Balkans and in Europe. Our goals are completely focused on the development of the game in Serbia and we are blessed to have a brand like Red Star that helps us open doors. This partnership with Dev Inno will help open more doors to opportunity for young men and women in Belgrade to play rugby league but also to have the opportunity for mentoring and development of ideas,” said Colin Kleyweg, Red Star Belgrade RLFC Director.

The 2019 Serbian Business Summit will enable foreign businesses to identify and develop new opportunities within Serbia and for Serbian businesses to explore new revenue streams and export markets around the world. The summit will combine keynote speakers with tailored workshops and networking opportunities. It will inform, inspire and guide Serbian businesses to realise their potential worldwide as well as delivering opportunities for foreign businesses to understand the marketplace within Serbia and the wider Balkan region.

Since 2017, Dev Inno has launched its New Innovators program in regional Australia, providing opportunities for women and youth to develop critical, creative and entrepreneurial thinking for future career opportunities. The charity has also recently announced partnerships with the Rugby League European Federation and the Balkan Super League to implement its Sport for Life program in the Middle East-Africa and Balkan regions. This new collaboration will link aspiring entrepreneurs and innovators in Belgrade with skills workshops and mentoring to pursue a career in business.

"This is an exciting and inspiring project to be a part of," said Dev Inno Director Daniel Merrikin. "We'll be leveraging Red Star and the Serbian Business Summit to offer workshops and skill development to the youth and women of Belgrade."

"This announcement comes off the back of our recent partnership with the RLEF and Balkan Super League, and enables those from disavantaged communities an opportunity for the future," added Shaun Cumming, Dev Inno Director. "Just as Red Star is providing an opportunity for its players to play professionally, we want to foster this endeavour and entrepreneurial spirit, and impart this way of thinking among the next leaders of Serbia."

https://bit.ly/2z1YU1s

deal.with.it

Juniors
What other Euro teams could play above their domestic level but not at League 1 standard?

Maybe Saluzzo?

deal.with.it

Juniors
If the french Elite 1 had more $ from broadcasting and sponsors, it would be easier to add Saluzzo and Red Star to that comp.

At the moment, maybe Saluzzo, Red Star, Dorcol, Partizan, Moscow... it’s probably pointless.

Saluzzo best pushing through the french system and Red Star joining League 1 with further investment.

adamkungl

Immortal
Saluzzo are about 4 divisions from Elite One aren't they?

Stick with the Balkan League. Keep the distances and costs economically feasible.
Raise the standard of the top level and the number of clubs in the national leagues.
Develop a P&R system with the nationals that keeps building Balkan SL as an elite competition.

jim_57

Staff member
I don't think Saluzzo have any grand ideas of Elite 1 or 2 from what I remember. I think they are just an amateur team that decided to play in France to get more games, which really makes sense is cases like theirs.

langpark

First Grade
I don't think Saluzzo have any grand ideas of Elite 1 or 2 from what I remember. I think they are just an amateur team that decided to play in France to get more games, which really makes sense is cases like theirs.
Yes, they joined the French system as it was the only way to play a full season of Rugby League. All their other teams just play one month during union off-season.

They just completed their second season and I believe over the two seasons they have had only one win so far. So they are doing it real tough. I have endless admiration of their dedication and perseverence. Each away match is a 5-6 hour drive, forcing them to stay overnight, so they have spent a tonne of money just by making this move. It would be great if they could get some help from outside, somehow.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Saluzzo are about 4 divisions from Elite One aren't they?

Stick with the Balkan League. Keep the distances and costs economically feasible.
Raise the standard of the top level and the number of clubs in the national leagues.
Develop a P&R system with the nationals that keeps building Balkan SL as an elite competition.

Red Star have said they will continue having teams in the Serbian domestic season and Balkan Super League, but want to play against tougher competition so they don’t lose players. Hence the partnering with League 1 teams to give playing opportunities.

If they have the money, why not enter League 1?

deluded pom?

Coach
Yes, they joined the French system as it was the only way to play a full season of Rugby League. All their other teams just play one month during union off-season.

They just completed their second season and I believe over the two seasons they have had only one win so far. So they are doing it real tough. I have endless admiration of their dedication and perseverence. Each away match is a 5-6 hour drive, forcing them to stay overnight, so they have spent a tonne of money just by making this move. It would be great if they could get some help from outside, somehow.
Yes, that takes real commitment. I’d happily contribute if they had a crowd funding page or the like.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
It does raise questions around a Euro Tier that covers non France and English stronger teams

Maybe a 6 to 8 round Champions league of prior years national premiers

deal.with.it

Juniors
If League 1 ends and you have 20 pro teams across SL and Championship, would a Euro comp work played in conferences or pools?
Would reduce travel, promote rivalries and you could still have a play off to decide who is promoted to championship.

langpark

First Grade
I think Red Star, with their strong brand name and financial backing that they seem to have, will be a good case to test the waters and perhaps open the door for other teams in the future. I think a joint venture with Whitehaven would be an ideal way to get it started too!

Latest posts