What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More BS

Burns

First Grade
Unlike the Denver Test, I wouldn't want this to be staged in New York/Utah.

Auckland makes so much sense. Brisbane has the capacity to really push into something special. Moreso, why can't this match be scheduled by the RLIF/ARLC without the need for a 3rd party promoter?

We have been talking about this 'possible Test' since January. Make a decision. Do something.

taipan

Referee
Disagree. There are decent numbers off Oz and NZ expats in the Big Apple,and they are trying to get a rl franchise set up to enter the Pom comp.At least this would test the waters ,so to speak.
There are no guarantees of course ,but as long as entrepreneurs are prepared to back up the loot, then IMO it's worth a shot.

Burns

First Grade
Townsville is a myth.

They have average crowds with a superstar team. They had the worst crowds of the World Cup.

jim_57

Staff member
Would be silly to play it in Townsville this year when they could take a game there when the new stadium opens.

jim_57

Staff member
Townsville is a myth.

They have average crowds with a superstar team. They had the worst crowds of the World Cup.

To be fair, Townsville has 170,000 people, they do pretty well for Cowboys crowds really. To put it in perspective people rave about Newscastle's crowds, if Newcastle got the same population to crowd percentage they would be averaging 50k+.

Burns

First Grade
THEY’VE helped revitalise the international game and Tonga coach Kristian Woolf believes his team has shown it deserves to help launch Townsville’s new stadium.

The Mate Ma’a are the flavour of the month after they followed up their stirring run to last year’s World Cup semi finals with a brilliant attacking display in their recent Pacific Test win over Samoa.

Tonga is advocating to play a landmark test against world champions Australia at the end of the NRL season, and Woolf is “very confident” an agreement will be reached.

Given Townsville Blackhawks coach Woolf and Tonga skipper and Cowboys champion Jason Taumalolo are both based in the city, a Tonga match in Townsville makes sense.

The latest images of what the 20,000-seat facility will look like were released next week, and it remains on track to be ready for use by the start of the 2020 NRL season.

“It isn’t something that I’ve thought of, but it’s certainly something (that would be worthwhile),” Woolf said.

“In particular with Jason’s involvement, his standing within the team and within the Townsville community is very high, and it’s the same with the Polynesian community in general.

“I think once the new stadium is built, it is certainly something we can look at and think about down the track.

“One thing Townsville does is support rugby league, and I’m sure if we bring a full strength Tongan team against a tier one nation up here, you’d get great crowd support.”

Tonga only improved their hopes of being awarded a clash against Australia with a blistering showing against traditional rivals Samoa.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has also thrown his weight behind the concept and fans have expressed a huge desire for the match to take place.

“I’m very confident it’s going to happen,” Woolf said.

“All the conversations I’ve had with the NRL, with the International Rugby League and certainly with Mal, who’s been a big supporter of it, everyone wants the game to happen.

“It’s just a matter of those making the decisions to make it happen. I keep getting told it’s heading in the right direction, and everyone’s really confident it will come through.

“I think the (performance against Samoa) really strengthened the need for it. Our first half performance was really good.

“I think we really showed our potential and our class in the first half, and showed that we deserve some opportunities against some higher calibre teams.

~~~~~~~
It's a nothing article

“We also showed what the Tongan crowd are going to do (by providing outstanding atmosphere), not only in Australia, but also in New Zealand.”

jim_57

Staff member
THEY’VE helped revitalise the international game and Tonga coach Kristian Woolf believes his team has shown it deserves to help launch Townsville’s new stadium.

The Mate Ma’a are the flavour of the month after they followed up their stirring run to last year’s World Cup semi finals with a brilliant attacking display in their recent Pacific Test win over Samoa.

Tonga is advocating to play a landmark test against world champions Australia at the end of the NRL season, and Woolf is “very confident” an agreement will be reached.

Given Townsville Blackhawks coach Woolf and Tonga skipper and Cowboys champion Jason Taumalolo are both based in the city, a Tonga match in Townsville makes sense.

The latest images of what the 20,000-seat facility will look like were released next week, and it remains on track to be ready for use by the start of the 2020 NRL season.

“It isn’t something that I’ve thought of, but it’s certainly something (that would be worthwhile),” Woolf said.

“In particular with Jason’s involvement, his standing within the team and within the Townsville community is very high, and it’s the same with the Polynesian community in general.

“I think once the new stadium is built, it is certainly something we can look at and think about down the track.

“One thing Townsville does is support rugby league, and I’m sure if we bring a full strength Tongan team against a tier one nation up here, you’d get great crowd support.”

Tonga only improved their hopes of being awarded a clash against Australia with a blistering showing against traditional rivals Samoa.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has also thrown his weight behind the concept and fans have expressed a huge desire for the match to take place.

“I’m very confident it’s going to happen,” Woolf said.

“All the conversations I’ve had with the NRL, with the International Rugby League and certainly with Mal, who’s been a big supporter of it, everyone wants the game to happen.

“It’s just a matter of those making the decisions to make it happen. I keep getting told it’s heading in the right direction, and everyone’s really confident it will come through.

“I think the (performance against Samoa) really strengthened the need for it. Our first half performance was really good.

“I think we really showed our potential and our class in the first half, and showed that we deserve some opportunities against some higher calibre teams.

~~~~~~~
It's a nothing article

“We also showed what the Tongan crowd are going to do (by providing outstanding atmosphere), not only in Australia, but also in New Zealand.”

So it's not even talking about this year? Or have they got themselves mixed up? Nobody is opening the new Townsville stadium at the end of this year unless they plan on playing at a construction site.

roughyedspud

Coach
Jim...are you saying these Muppet's,from the article,have no idea what they are talking about???

Imagine my shock....

jim_57

Staff member
Jim...are you saying these Muppet's,from the article,have no idea what they are talking about???

Imagine my shock....

If you throw enough shit at the wall eventually something will stick. If they're so keen to play the game just book Penrith/Campbelltown,Mt Smart or even Hawaii and go from there, getting a bit late to organise anything more extravagant this year.

deluded pom?

Coach
Townsville is a myth.

That can’t be true, Kristian Woolf said this.

adamkungl

Immortal
Whoa whoa whoa, a test in New York only 7 days after a test in Auckland? Where's the player welfare NRL?

Laughable isn't it.

Restricting players from rep footy based on what country they are from should be called out publicly for what it is...

Latest posts