What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 State of Origin Game 3 - Wed 11th July

Happy MEel

First Grade
Who would you pick in front of Cleary though?

Pearce was nearly always the form half when he went into a series and was given chance after chance.

Clearly didn’t shit himself and held his own in defence.

For a yong bloke he went alright.
As much as I don’t want Pearce back in Origin, you have to look at the calibre of opposition Pearce played against Vs Cleary in this series. Night and day.

I thought Cleary’s kicking was pretty ordinary this series as well.

I agree with Gronk that Reynolds is probably the most well-rounded halfback we have.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
You are probably right, but it's more a reflection on our lack if good 7s.

TBH the merkin from Souths is prolly the form 7 of the comp along with the 6 from Roosters.

Yeah, it’s been like that for years.

Might as well put Cleary in now, to blood him up for the future alongside a veteran in Maloney.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
As much as I don’t want Pearce back in Origin, you have to look at the calibre of opposition Pearce played against Vs Cleary in this series. Night and day.

I thought Cleary’s kicking was pretty ordinary this series as well.

I agree with Gronk that Reynolds is probably the most well-rounded halfback we have.

I rate Reynolds, but he never really set the world on fire i the Origin arena.

I think Freddy is keen to bloody Cleary now alongside another experienced half in Maloney.

Clearly should have a few games under his belt when we need to debut another rookie like Keary.

hindy111

Post Whore
Pearce played better opposition but he also had better players alongside him.
Hayne,Morris boys,Jennings, Stewarts brothers, Watmough, Farrah, Lewis

That side destroys this qld team.

Guys like carr, Roberts, Sims, peachey would not come close to those players.

It was a stud team.

Cleary also missed about 9 games didnt he? Origin 1 may of been his 2nd game back and maybe 5th of season.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Pearce played better opposition but he also had better players alongside him.
Hayne,Morris boys,Jennings, Stewarts brothers, Watmough, Farrah, Lewis

That side destroys this qld team.

Guys like carr, Roberts, Sims, peachey would not come close to those players.

It was a stud team.

Cleary also missed about 9 games didnt he? Origin 1 may of been his 2nd game back and maybe 5th of season.
Hayne was a star, but so is Tedesco. Morris brothers were solid but never outstanding in Origin. Turbo Tom was outstanding this series. Jennings was good in Origin but Latrell has also been dynamic (minus some brain farts). I think Debelin and Jake Trbojevic have been close to our best forwards and contributed similar to what Watmough offered. Cook is a much better hooker than Farah and Lewis is no better than Cordner.

I don’t think Pearce played alongside a better team than Cleary, it’s purely the opposition.

84 Baby

Referee
Wait... Slater got man of series for real??? That's the biggest rort since Stoppa won the guess the kickoff time.

Who was the judge? Kelly Slater?

hindy111

Post Whore
Hayne was a star, but so is Tedesco. Morris brothers were solid but never outstanding in Origin. Jennings was good in Origin but Latrell has also been dynamic (minus some brain farts). I think Debelin and Jake Trbojevic have been close to our best forwards and contributed similar to what Watmough offered. Cook is a much better hooker than Farah and Lewis is no better than Cordner.

I don’t think the side you mentioned is any better than this year’s.

Marking better players. Inglis and Slater where better back then.
Hodges,Tate,Folau,tate,Boyd

Chambers has declined, Inglis is ok but not same. Same for Slater.
Gagai again good but not in the calibre of those guys in peak.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I seem to recall watching a video with Buderus around Origin 2 with him saying we just want Nathan to play a role for us and not overplay his hand. I think he did that well.

If he was getting knocked around in defence, making errors or kicking dead, yeah i wouldn’t be impressed.

I don’t recall many other young halves coming in and killing it in their first series.

I’m excited, he could really become a good NSW half for the next best part of a decade. God knows we need one after the struggles we have had in that department over the years.

hindy111

Post Whore
Teddy is good but ffs Hayne pre 2014 was best player in game.

Turbo isnt a winger either.

Current backline against qld in hey day gets chewed alive

84 Baby

Referee
I seem to recall watching a video with Buderus around Origin 2 with him saying we just want Nathan to play a role for us and not overplay his hand. I think he did that well.

If he was getting knocked around in defence, making errors or kicking dead, yeah i wouldn’t be impressed.

I don’t recall many other young halves coming in and killing it in their first series.

I’m excited, he could really become a good NSW half for the next best part of a decade. God knows we need one after the struggles we have had in that department over the years.
Yeah you could forgive him for being first timer but it didn't phase Cook

Happy MEel

First Grade
I’ll also add that Pearce played alongside players such as Nathan Merritt, James McManus, Josh Reynolds, Trent Hodkinson, Will Hopoate and Jamie Buhrer.

None of those players would come close to this Origin side.

hindy111

Post Whore
I’ll also add that Pearce played alongside players such as Nathan Merritt, James McManus, Josh Reynolds, Trent Hodkinson, Will Hopoate and Jamie Buhrer.

None of those players would come close to this Origin side.

Agree. I never hated Pearce in origin level. He did fine.

hindy111

Post Whore
What was cook doing at age 20? It wasnt till 24 that he nailed a first grade spot.

Kaysa career has been similar. Shame he got injured when did. He had started to play well. Had he backed up with 10 more good performances we may of solved our hooker spot.
Kaysa just doesnt stay fit. Been games he has shown plenty of potential.

Latest posts