What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Levi is a shame. I really thought he, Ponga and Watson could have formed a killer combination busting teams up in the middle and creating some broken play. Doesn't matter who you are, that possibility would have ruined any great defensive side. Maybe with Griffin out for the next year he'll seize the opportunity; just hope his attitude isn't so bad that he'll take the chance instead of just doing "meh" until his contract expires.

I think we can finish stronger than our results recently have suggested. A player of Junior's caliber - especially when he does so much almost perfectly - should make the world of difference. I can see the Warriors capitulating bad, that 8th spot isn't finalised and it's not like the teams above us are super incredibly convincing. It's unlikely but I'm sure we'll finish on a strong, happy note with enough reasons to be excited for 2019 (which really should have always been the expectation this year).

Actually, to make the 8 you dont need to look at the other teams. Just win 12 games and you are almost guaranteed a spot.

IIRC we actually hold the honour of being the only team, since the introduction of a top 8, to win 12/24 games and not make the finals (2008).

Basically we need to win 6 of the next 8 games; 4 games against bottom 8 teams that we can win and 4 against top 8 teams which we would need to be very lucky with.

I wouldnt put money on us, but i never give up hope until it is mathematically impossible

slotmachine

First Grade
IIRC we actually hold the honour of being the only team, since the introduction of a top 8, to win 12/24 games and not make the finals (2008).

Tigers 09, Dogs 11, Warriors and Eels 14, Saints 17.

With 8th place already having 10 wins cutoff is probably 13 this year and with our garbage F/A we would need 14.

We're not winning the last 8 games.

Old dog

Juniors
This is Levi's moment, the rest of this season No1 hooker, playmaker? No Griff, his team along with Pearce, hope he plays it for all to see, he fails team fails, Pearce can play out of his skin but if Levi don't perform we are gone.

Swarzey

Bench
Oh Levi certainly hasn't been a problem. He's been fine in attack, his service is still crisp, still fine. I don't think he's had the punch that he showed last year and I wonder if that's down to a lack of motivation and enthusiasm. I get everyone wants to start, hold a position to themselves but Levi - theoretically based on his skill kit - works best off the bench and he should embrace that.

Old dog

Juniors
Am happy for Levi to not start but feel it wouldn't hurt to see how he goes now Griff is out, give him his head play for as long as he puts in and replace him with Buhrer as apposed to opposite and Buhrer starting, don't see much difference if Buhrer starts other than could Levi offer more for longer. This is the time to trial it, circumstances can sometimes make it a necessity, just give him the pack around him so he can perform to his ability

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I don’t think we’ll see the best out of Levi until we have a pack that can actually provide some go forward and some quick play-the-balls. Supposedly this is one of Glasby’s strengths so that’ll be handy next year but there’s not much that Levi can do right now when his forwards are being rolled onto their back all the time.

Hooker isn’t really one of our key concerns as a team right now anyway. Honestly I’d say our awful front row rotation and our lack of depth in the halves is a much bigger issue.

Fact - Until we have a pack that can win the middle more times than not we will struggle

Fact - Until we have back up halves who are significantly better than Lamb/Cogger we will struggle

Fact - Until players like King, Ross, Sio, Jacob S, Lillyman etc spend a whole season in reserve grade we will struggle

Loose Cannon

Bench
I don’t think we’ll see the best out of Levi until we have a pack that can actually provide some go forward and some quick play-the-balls. Supposedly this is one of Glasby’s strengths so that’ll be handy next year but there’s not much that Levi can do right now when his forwards are being rolled onto their back all the time.
This is a great observation. I think Levi would be further along behind the Dragons pack, for example. He still manages to get our guys on the front foot, but for the most part they get dominated in tackles, slowing the ruck, and limiting his effectiveness in subsequent plays.

I’m sure being in a team with Pearce barking orders at our pigs, Levi will flourish, at least as high as our forwards can compete. If we have a more threatening pack, he should be something to see.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee

Hooker isn’t really one of our key concerns as a team right now anyway. Honestly I’d say our awful front row rotation and our lack of depth in the halves is a much bigger issue.

Fact - Until we have a pack that can win the middle more times than not we will struggle

Fact - Until we have back up halves who are significantly better than Lamb/Cogger we will struggle

Fact - Until players like King, Ross, Sio, Jacob S, Lillyman etc spend a whole season in reserve grade we will struggle

Can't argue with any of that. Still hope and pray Jacob (and King) come on. King's heart in Jacob's body would be ok (would need to find a donor brain for this frankenprop though)

Knight Vision

First Grade

same with Ponga, we wont see the very best of our backline until we have some mongrels in the pack in place of our nice guy teddy bears. I long for the second coming of the Chief.

Knight Vision

First Grade
And there in a nutshell lies our problem this season - injuries aside. Our young blokes think its their god given right to play first grade. Given a shot too early in their careers and playing top grade when they should've been playing reggies. An illusion of self grandeur. Rather than striving to be a better player and force his way into the top grade he threw they toys out of the cot and wanted to go elsewhere.

You have to wonder if Levi has the right stuff to be not just a good player, but a great player. Basing an opinion on that article I doubt if he'll reach great heights. No ticker and a lack of character. Hope I'm wrong.

If ya good enough ya get picked Danny boy. Learn to play full tilt 80 min of footy and make them pick you.

Haffa

That’s very harsh. He had every right to be frustrated with not getting a bench spot. He’s been one of our best players over the past few years and killed it for New Zealand last year.
Yep, young bloke who has played most of his career without genuine leaders around him was looking for reassurance. Sounds like he's viewing it as a learning exercise and opportunity to prove himself.

Swarzey

Bench
Reading that article, I've got no issue with Levi's attitude, wanting to leave and I've honestly got no issue with any other younger talent feeling that way. They were thrown into first grade well before their team without anyone around them to help their development, had to figure it all out of their own and in the case of Levi, he was dumped for an import the first moment they had someone to replace him with. No opportunity to improve at NRL grade being surrounded by talented and more experienced players.

I would be pretty f**king pissed not going to lie if I was in the same shoes. Would have felt like a means to an end and nothing more.

Sure it's entitlement but it's pretty justified.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Yeah I agree with the past 3 posts. Bit of a parallel example is happening in my workplace atm. My boss brought in 4 vastly more experienced people into my team this year and I've kept being given projects that are pretty damn difficult for me but would be a piece of cake for them. They're giving me guidance but letting me work most of it out for myself.

Now if these 4 people got brought in, took over my work and I was relegated to basic duties, I'd be feeling pretty damn pissed off as well. So I can see why Levi is feeling aggrieved.

The kid wants to win and wants to be part of something bigger. He shouldn't be criticised for wanting to be a part of that instead of just being shunted to the side like a leftover. Especially when he did nothing wrong in 2017.

Dave_

Juniors
While Levi is entitled to be disappointed, he's getting way ahead of himself. He wouldn't have made his debut when he did if he wasn't playing for us and his form wasn't sustained long enough to be a test player to begin with. He got lucky. He's going on like a bit of a skirt but I hope he does well.

If we had real leaders at the club, he wouldn't be acting like a blouse to begin with.

Last edited:

Latest posts