What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2018

Pommy

Coach
Yea, don't get me wrong, it is fitting that Slater went out as a Wally Lewis medal winner but really, he shouldn't have won it.

He only played two games and Quensland lost the series so while it is cool it's kind of like WTF?

Cookie or Tedesco should have got it I reckon.

It’s fitting? In what way is it fitting? If Cam Smith gets to the grand final and announces its his last game should he get the Clive Churchill medal even if storm lose and he plays crap?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Sims and Klemmer cost NSW that match?

Opinions anyone?

I’ve been saying it for the last couple of years I don’t know what selectors see in Klemmer. He’s great at club level but he doesn’t offer much in the origin arena and he lets his emotions get in the way too often. I thought a player like Trent Merrin would’ve been a smarter choice. Oh well though we won the series so who cares!

Rabbit Stew

Juniors
It’s fitting? In what way is it fitting? If Cam Smith gets to the grand final and announces its his last game should he get the Clive Churchill medal even if storm lose and he plays crap?
Slater was a terrible choice for player of the series, and the decision was a real slap in the face for the NSW team.
Tedesco played one of the great all-time Origin matches in Game 1, and no-one came close to that performance in Games 2 and 3. On that basis alone he should have had a head start in player of the series voting.
Outside of Tedesco, though, you could make a real case for plenty of other NSW players being better across the series than Slater - particularly Turbo Tom, Maloney, Cookie, Cordner and Frizell.
Holmes and Munster were Queensland's best across the series and should also have been in front of Slater. Even GI's two matches were arguably better than Slater's two.
I'm not having a go at Billy, though - he looked as surprised as anyone.
Daley, Lockyer and Meninga selected the winner. I would like to know if it was a unanimous decision or if Daley was railroaded

southsport

First Grade
I'm still surprised NSW went with Gus over someone like Josh Jackson, particularly given the minutes he plated each match. By the end tonight he could barely lift his feet and his no-pass to Roberts was a clanger. He is a very good first grader but I'm not convinced he is quite Origin standard yet.
On the other hand, Cook was outstanding. McInnes is not going to get a look-in any time soon
Fittler selected Angus because he signed with the roosters.

doyen

Bench
The states are still pretty even in ability & in the future Qld will be very strong with a lot of great young players coming through! Ponga in particular!
It was always going to be a tough ask with the loss of Smith,Thurston & Cronk all at once-----plus injuries to other topliners.
I wouldn't be the slightest bit cocky if I was NSW.

On Slater--Tedesco is not in the same class!!

I think you're correct S/port re. Crichton's selection--he must have been on a promise!

callmack1

Staff member
It's not fitting because he was the best player of the series, it's fitting because he got to go out a Wally Lewis medal winner.

I'm not saying I agree with it because like you say, it shouldn't happen just because they're a legend and it's their last game, I was just saying it turned out to be quite fitting.

IN THE SHEDS, Origin III - Angus Crichton: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/07/12/crichton-hungry-for-more-origin-success/

doyen

Bench
Over the 3 games[240 mins] NSW scored 9 tries to 8!! NSW were lucky to win the series against a very disrupted Qld team!!

Curns13

Juniors
Over the 3 games[240 mins] NSW scored 9 tries to 8!! NSW were lucky to win the series against a very disrupted Qld team!!
That’s Origin though isn’t it. NSW had 19 players for the series I believe whereas QLD lost Slater, Morgan, Inglis, Napa, Ponga and Gillette didnt play a game. None of that matters when it reads 2-1 NSW.

That being said, the closeness of the series does not suggest to me that NSW are at the beginning of some great dynasty like muppets like Gould suggest. If Hunt doesn’t kick the ball dead on the 3rd tackle against 12 men, this could easily have been a QLD series win. I can see the next few years being very competitive.

southsport

First Grade
There's been some talk on other sites about Cleary's performances not matching up to the hype that surrounds him and I tend to agree.........thoughts anyone???

Dogmatix

Juniors
Cleary was below par but still better than Mitchell Pearce as at least Cleary did not stuff up when it mattered

The young bloke Luai who replaced Cleary for the Panthers last week was very impressive. So will be interesting to see what the Panthers do with their halves

callmack1

Staff member
That’s Origin though isn’t it. NSW had 19 players for the series I believe whereas QLD lost Slater, Morgan, Inglis, Napa, Ponga and Gillette didnt play a game. None of that matters when it reads 2-1 NSW.

That being said, the closeness of the series does not suggest to me that NSW are at the beginning of some great dynasty like muppets like Gould suggest. If Hunt doesn’t kick the ball dead on the 3rd tackle against 12 men, this could easily have been a QLD series win. I can see the next few years being very competitive.
Mate, this is a new era of Origin and it's a very exciting one. I think the sides are honestly so even now because you look back on it and Queensland were actually really close like you say. NSW were certainly deserving winners but it wasn't complete domination like many, myself included thought it'd be. NSW, to their credit, just one the big moments and if a few things went ever so slightly differently, it could've been another story.

I reckon this is a new dawn of Origin, a new dawn of competitiveness where we literally have no idea who is gonna win the series each year because it's so close and so even. It's gonna be great to watch it all unfold.

I'm itching to see Ponga in a Maroons jersey again already!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cleary was below par but still better than Mitchell Pearce as at least Cleary did not stuff up when it mattered

The young bloke Luai who replaced Cleary for the Panthers last week was very impressive. So will be interesting to see what the Panthers do with their halves
Maloney and Cleary will remain the halves barring injury...

That's a certainty too.... if they're fit there is no way either would be dropped...

So imo I don't see any interest there apart from the interest of other clubs looking at Luai.

ThingFish

Juniors
Mate, this is a new era of Origin and it's a very exciting one. I think the sides are honestly so even now because you look back on it and Queensland were actually really close like you say. NSW were certainly deserving winners but it wasn't complete domination like many, myself included thought it'd be. NSW, to their credit, just one the big moments and if a few things went ever so slightly differently, it could've been another story.

I reckon this is a new dawn of Origin, a new dawn of competitiveness where we literally have no idea who is gonna win the series each year because it's so close and so even. It's gonna be great to watch it all unfold.

I'm itching to see Ponga in a Maroons jersey again already!
And it looks like a new dawn where they actually pick Souths players for SOO. Who’d a thunk it :clap::clap::clap:

doyen

Bench

NSWs weren't the better side---Qld were really up against it with the sudden,& shock retirement of Smith!! With Smith in,Qld win,IMO!! Even with the injuries to key players I believe Qld would have won with Smith playing!!
Also,SOO was at the crossroads---the very last thing needed was a Qld win!!??????

Travitoh

First Grade

Because 13 debutants for the series is settled...

Like Qld sides of the past decade, NSW won the series because when the clutch moments came the Blues handled them better. It's nothing to do with luck, luck is a cop out for failure.

Isn't it odd how only the losers use excuses?

ouryears

Bench
The states are still pretty even in ability & in the future Qld will be very strong with a lot of great young players coming through! Ponga in particular!
It was always going to be a tough ask with the loss of Smith,Thurston & Cronk all at once-----plus injuries to other topliners.
I wouldn't be the slightest bit cocky if I was NSW.

On Slater--Tedesco is not in the same class!!

I think you're correct S/port re. Crichton's selection--he must have been on a promise!
NSWs weren't the better side---Qld were really up against it with the sudden,& shock retirement of Smith!! With Smith in,Qld win,IMO!! Even with the injuries to key players I believe Qld would have won with Smith playing!!
Also,SOO was at the crossroads---the very last thing needed was a Qld win!!??????
All your ifs and buts.
They didn't win.
We won.
NSW won.
No ifs, no buts.

Latest posts