What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers at kogarah

hazzbeen

Bench
Agreed.

The commentators said that Sims looked spent after his first stint.

Interesting that Hunt played a lot of minutes. He’ll likely be first choice hooker next year. Offers a lot more than McCullough, and it’s not enough to have hookers who just pass and tackle any more.

Cooks changed the position now.
To think we had Cook with us and let him go . Who was the bright spark that made that decision ?

aquiin

Juniors
Bennett made the first call when he let Cook go to the Panthers. Cook was the number two behind King in talent, who subsequently struggled with injury. Rein was the best defender but not much else. He developed somewhat of a running game but made bad decisions all the way through. King was back ready at the end of 2011 and should have been reinstated. Bennett went conservative.

What killed the club was that Price was enamored by the combination between Merrin and Rein which cruelled at least two seasons. This despite bringing Cook back.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons turn attention back to finals charge
Dragons Den News
r0_0_5400_3600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NEXT JOB: Dragons Blues contingent Paul Vaughan, Tyson Frizell, Tariq Sims and Jack de Belin. Picture: AAP

ST GEORGE Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop’s fingers will likely stay crossed for the rest of the season, but he’s breathing a little easier after his side escaped the rep season unscathed.

The Dragons had five players involved in the now completed Origin series while Widdop, James Graham and Leeson Ah Mau were all involved in the controversial Denver Test experiment.

It was a looming month that gave Widdop and coach Paul McGregor no shortage of headaches earlier in the season despite a red-hot start.

Following game three on Wednesday night, they’ve come through the rep season 3-1, their only loss coming to the Storm in Melbourne last week.

Widdop said it’s a ledger he and McGregor would have taken in a heartbeat when they first sat down to contemplate the middle part of their campaign.

“Yeah definitely, we’d have certainly taken that considering where we have been in the past when it’s happened,” Widdop said.

“It’s never an easy six weeks with rep football, especially considering the number of players we had out. We pretty much had our entire starting pack [out].

“We did speak about it but it’s very hard to change too much. We learned a little bit from last year and it certainly helped having a good start to the season, we were playing with a lot of confidence and belief.

“We’ve added a bit of experience, especially in the forwards, with Jeremy Latimore, Leeson’s a bit older and obviously James Graham which has certainly helped that this year.

“We’ve got some sore tired bodies but we managed to jag some wins through that period. Thankfully the boys have got through OK, we’ve got no injuries, and we can get together, refocus our minds on the Dragons.

“The most important bit’s coming up now at the back end of the season.”

While the Blues contingent of Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims will return riding the high of a series win, it’ll be a different story for Widdop’s halves partner Ben Hunt.

Hunt played no small role in the Dragons start to the year but has endured a bumpy Origin campaign, scapegoated after losses in the first two games of the series and relegated to the bench for Wednesday’s dead rubber.

It’s prompted fears he’ll struggle to recapture top form over the remainder of the season, but they’re not fears Widdop holds.

“I’ve said it before, he’s a pretty laid back character so I don’t think there’s going to be too many things bothering him,” Widdop said.

“We as players and coaching staff know what he’s about and what he’s capable of. He’s done it throughout the year.

“There’s no reason he can’t come back and play with some confidence and belief and I’m sure he’ll do that. He’ll get away for a few days, refresh, and get back into it with the Dragons.”

The Dragons will head into Sunday’s clash with the Tigers at Kogarah in second spot, but with eight games to go, Widdop said his side will need to quickly recapture its early-season form.

“Momentum’s a big thing in rugby league and playing consistent football week in week out is really important,” Widdop said.

“Obviously at the start of the year we were doing that really, really well. Since then we’ve had a few performances that probably weren’t up to scratch.

“We managed to get through Origin with a few wins but, there’s seven weeks left, the real competition starts now.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...turn-attention-back-to-finals-charge/?cs=3713

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Even pre joint venture days, the Tigers have always given Saints a fair amount of grief, This Sunday will be no different

A short Origin turnaround,

Poor form since late May that hasn’t shown any signs of improvement.

A coach who has repeatedly demonstrated he has no clue what he’s doing.

I’m sorry but this is another dangerous game,

Not confident, not one bit.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Even pre joint venture days, the Tigers have always given Saints a fair amount of grief, This Sunday will be no different

Is this more of your reverse reverse psychology Jimmy?

ouryears

Bench
I think that Hunt is going to play a blinder in this game.
And then you all woke up and the reality was another dragons shocker.
Worse than the grubs game! Worse than Soufs game
I can see us winning just 2 from the final 8 games.

Then what?
A pay increase for Mary, A hero
It could be or I may be deadly serious.

Time will tell.
2005 prelim final they knocked us out.

In 2010 at least we returned the favour and knocked them out in the prelim with a 1 point win.

Games since then, yes they give us trouble.

I am hoping for plus 18 point win. But probably by 2.

Crush

Coach

Jimmy this was the chance for you to be confident mate.
Dragons by 13+

Crush

Coach
I can see a Hunt Widdop masterclass this Sunday. Dufty will have a day out also. Tigers aint got shit.
Benji, Brooks, Farrah.....Really?
Their forward pack is a bunch of never will bes also.
Dragons at kogarah on a sunday, how good.
Chapter 3 post origin. I reckon we win 6/8

ouryears

Bench
I doubt Hunt and Widdop are capable of delivering master class.

They can deliver good.
Not master class.

I wouldn't be disregarding the Tigers.
Parramatta and grubs prove that in doing that you are asking for trouble.

If we play 5% off, we will lose

MilanDragon

Juniors
I doubt Hunt and Widdop are capable of delivering master class.

They can deliver good.
Not master class.

I wouldn't be disregarding the Tigers.
Parramatta and grubs prove that in doing that you are asking for trouble.

If we play 5% off, we will lose

Widdop delivers them occasionally.. mostly when he does it’s at Kogarah. I’m going as far as putting the ‘C’ on him for my SuperCoach team.

ouryears

Bench
Widdop delivers them occasionally.. mostly when he does it’s at Kogarah. I’m going as far as putting the ‘C’ on him for my SuperCoach team.
Personally I will take Maloney, Keary, and Munster first

They all outplayed him in all our losses.

Last edited: