What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sims named for blues

ouryears

Bench
Melbourne will be without Chambers, Slater, Addo Carr, Munster, Kaufusi and Glasby. They will also be without Jesse Bromwich and Kassiano. That makes 8 players Melbourne will be without.

We will be without Hunt, Simms, DeBelin, Vaughan and Frizell. That makes 5 players we will be without.
Yep, and they still put 52 points on us.
Embarrassing and soft.
Their 70-10 thrashing of us back in 2000 is a real possibility if we meet them again, SOO players or not

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons forward Tariq Sims finally earns State of Origin chance
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_247_5555_3370_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Finally: Dragons forward Tariq Sims will make his State of Origin debut for NSW in game three on Wednesday night. Picture: James Brickwood

• Paul McGregor has predicted that Tariq Sims will take to State of Origin football in the same manner he has dominated rival forwards for St George Illawarra this season.

Sims will finally make his Origin debut for NSW as Queensland attempt to avoid being clean swept for the first time since 2000 in game three in Brisbane on Wednesday night.

The 28-year-old had been named as 18th man for the first two games of the series but will get his chance from the bench at Suncorp Stadium after Blues coach Brad Fittler decided to leave out game two debutant Matt Prior.

Sims’ Dragons teammate Paul Vaughan has been included in the run on side, with the Blues’ forward pack displaying a distinct St George Illawarra flavour with Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin making up the back row.

And St George Illawarra coach McGregor said Sims had earned his Origin start after being consistently among the Dragons’ best so far this season.

“I’m happy for Taz. Again he’s earned that jumper through his performance throughout the year,” McGregor said.

“I think he’s getting better as the year goes on. He’s certainly come back from the Origin week to week during this period with the right attitude. And he’s been one of our best, if not the best, consistently week to week.

r0_341_5295_3318_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Tariq Sims takes on Dragons teammate Tyson Frizell at NSW training. Picture: AAP Image

“He’s had his set backs along the way as well and some people would have turned away from the game but he turned towards it and fell forward. He’s doing a magnificent job for us and I’m sure he’ll do that same role in whatever opportunity he gets against Queensland.”

Sims has also benefited from the departure of Joel Thompson to Manly before the start of the season, allowing the hulking forward to play a different role for the Dragons.

“I think he wanted the role before Joel left. He actually came to me when Joel left and said I really want that opportunity and I said well, let’s go about earning it,” McGregor said.

“And he’s certainly done that through his pre-season, I thought he had a magnificent pre-season. He’s a big body and the work he does around having that big body gets to what you see on the weekend.

“His trial form wasn’t the best but as soon as it came around to round one he has been the most consistent forward within our club. To get the reward is a good story as well.”

McGregor also said Queensland had defied their own “pick and stick” policy in axing Dragons halfback Ben Hunt to the bench for Origin III.

The Dragons No.7 had led St George Illawarra to the top of the NRL table after 16 rounds but paid the price for an unhappy showing in Origin II with Manly’s Daly Cherry-Evans given a chance to end his own Origin exile.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5507138/sims-finally-earns-his-state-of-origin-chance/?cs=3833

Frank Facer

First Grade
So is Cordner playing tomorrow night, or will Sims be starting in the secondrow, like he should be? Cordner isn't named in Easts squad of 21 this week either, so that indicates to me that he must still be injured.

blacksafake

First Grade
So is Cordner playing tomorrow night, or will Sims be starting in the secondrow, like he should be? Cordner isn't named in Easts squad of 21 this week either, so that indicates to me that he must still be injured.
He's been cleared to play apparently.

nontime111

Juniors
haha!! corker!! Sims did a lot of great hits I loved his performance with me even as a hardcore QLD tragic its always been me going for the Maroons AND the NSW Dragons players!!!

OzDragon

Coach
If he had not gone full genius on Hunt (of all people!) his debut would have been one of the better ones in recent memory.

Live and learn big fella

RufusRex

Post Whore
debut will be remembered for a brain snap rather than all the actual good shit he did ...
Drop crichton for RCG the only real change for game 1 next year

Mr Red

First Grade
debut will be remembered for a brain snap rather than all the actual good shit he did ...
Drop crichton for RCG the only real change for game 1 next year

Yeah I don’t get the Crichton fascination either... offered little impact. Defensive more of a grabber and often didn’t stop the pass.

Maloney and Prior should also have a black line ruled through their names for 2019

SBD82

Coach
Yeah I don’t get the Crichton fascination either... offered little impact. Defensive more of a grabber and often didn’t stop the pass.

Maloney and Prior should also have a black line ruled through their names for 2019
I'm not sure we would have won the series without Maloney.