What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

Baker helped us win a game against the 1st-placed Rabbitohs during the '89 season. Set up a couple of tries and kicked his mandatory field goal. I think McIndoe had a whale of game from memory despite having asthma.

Apart from that, I can't remember too much else of Baker during his Penrith days.

Shayne Stead was looking good during the season but got injured and wasn't really heard of again

Neil is the reason I follow the panthers and not the bunnies.

I knew him & Tony Melrose as a kid, they were brothers in law and we had a holiday house next to their in laws. He was a really nice guy.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the key to Anthony Griffin's long term future at the club is to demonstate he improves the performances of the younger and inexperienced members of the rosters such as Edwards, Blake, Cleary, Luai, May, Egan, Katoa, JFH, Hethrington and so on and so on. If he is able to get the young guns to improve in the next season or two then I believe we have the potential to challenge for the premiership. If he fails in this mission he will soon be on the outer and his days numbered.

Bob

Juniors
From the western weekender

They say where there’s smoke, there’s fire and while there may not be an out of control blaze at the Panthers, there’s no denying that some issues do exist with coach Anthony Griffin. At the core of the issue is Griffin’s controlling nature, which has ruffled a few feathers within the camp, particularly members of the club’s medical staff. As I’ve said previously, any suggestion that Griffin is on his way out the door is probably off the mark but there’s certainly some internal issues that need to be sorted out. Penrith officials will play this carefully as they want to avoid any

OldPanther

Coach

They say where there’s smoke, there’s fire and while there may not be an out of control blaze at the Panthers, there’s no denying that some issues do exist with coach Anthony Griffin. At the core of the issue is Griffin’s controlling nature, which has ruffled a few feathers within the camp, particularly members of the club’s medical staff. As I’ve said previously, any suggestion that Griffin is on his way out the door is probably off the mark but there’s certainly some internal issues that need to be sorted out. Penrith officials will play this carefully as they want to avoid any

Have a link?

That's interesting. Wonder what he has said/done to annoy the docs.

Everything ive been told about the bloke from players is that he is very hard to deal with and totally unapproachable.
In other words a bit of a merkin, which doesn't rule out someone being a good coach if the players respect his knowledge

OldPanther

Coach
Everything ive been told about the bloke from players is that he is very hard to deal with and totally unapproachable.
In other words a bit of a merkin, which doesn't rule out someone being a good coach if the players respect his knowledge

Makes him sound like a lot of teachers.

Fangs

Coach

;)

Perhaps Fangs should start writing for the Weekender.

franklin2323

Immortal

I can't think of a good coach that's not a knob. Guys like Maguire don't last long. Whereas Bennett has lasted years so can go either way

betcats

Referee

Controlling people are like that. It’s something he can learn to fix, Gus is very big on the idea of mentoring and having a mentor, I’d say he is working with him.

The descriptions used here for Griffin could easily fit Bennett or Bellamy. Actually there's very few coaches it wouldn't apply to.
Yes but as a player you respect the opinions of coaches in that class. Griffin well I don't think he has the knowledge or ability to demand it

Yes but as a player you respect the opinions of coaches in that class. Griffin well I don't think he has the knowledge or ability to demand it
He has got the Panthers into the semis for all the years that he has coached here, and you're saying that he doesn't have the knowledge, nor the ability to demand respect? Seriously? Also look at the players who are re-committing? That speaks volumes.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Was watching Big League Wrap when controversy corner came on. Rothfield said something along the lines of Gus and Griffin are having some disagreements but the players love Griffin. And tbf there is a lot of footage of the players hugging Griffin.

This is just a theory but I think Griffin just likes to leave people to their own devises in general but not authoritarian you all don't express any opinions type of atmosphere.

Kilkenny

Coach
Anthony Griffin has endured the year from hell and given it is likely he will be 3 semi final appearances in the three seasons he is entitled to start 2019 as head coach.

However, next year we need to see real improvements not cosmetic improvements.

I still have major reservations about our game plans, attacking structures and even basics like our kicking game.

Coaching is a tough business, but if he doesn't deliver in 2019 then we need to find someone who can deliver better results.

Sime_11

Juniors
Anthony Griffin has endured the year from hell and given it is likely he will be 3 semi final appearances in the three seasons he is entitled to start 2019 as head coach.

However, next year we need to see real improvements not cosmetic improvements.

I still have major reservations about our game plans, attacking structures and even basics like our kicking game.

Coaching is a tough business, but if he doesn't deliver in 2019 then we need to find someone who can deliver better results.

Griffin can coach and i'm backing him in, sure we have a really talented squad, but a coach still needs to come up with a plan and needs to coach them as a team to get the best of them, which he is doing as we've made the finals every season he's coached.

I don't see it happening but if your going to move him on, you bring someone better in to do the job, and currently, there's no one on the market who's better than Griffin IMO (I wouldn't touch Hasler tbh). it would be a backward step for the club.....

OldPanther

Coach
Griffin can coach and i'm backing him in, sure we have a really talented squad, but a coach still needs to come up with a plan and needs to coach them as a team to get the best of them, which he is doing as we've made the finals every season he's coached.

I don't see it happening but if your going to move him on, you bring someone better in to do the job, and currently, there's no one on the market who's better than Griffin IMO (I wouldn't touch Hasler tbh). it would be a backward step for the club.....

We are a development club and that includes coaches.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Like you I wouldn't touch Hasler with a barge pole either.

franklin2323

Immortal

Given who we have signed. Ciraldo should be our new coach with an experienced assistant coach.

ATM it is too early. I want to see us with the same team for 4 weeks in arow then I can judge what we lack. Simply is too hard to with the changes each week

Latest posts