What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Increasing the Flegg age from 20's to 22's or 23's would keep a few of the players "in the system" a bit longer. Obviously the better players would still end up playing reserve grade.

Obviously not all players are ready for the NRL at 21 (the year after graduating from flegg), but I reckon if you are not ready for NSW cup at 21 you aren’t going to be good enough to make the NRL.

Dibs

Bench
Why the f**k do you say anything if you don’t plan to tell anyone? Is it because you are trying to impress people that you know something we don’t you f**king dildo?
Say what it is or f**k off!
He is just trying to stay relevant, wait no he is trying to become relevant.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...w/news-story/91072cb1f849dabd037f205f742a6980

Jarryd Hayne urged to stick with Eels as doubts over his future grow

MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
July 12, 2018 5:45pm

EELS co-captain Tim Mannah has revealed the leading role Jarryd Hayne has played in turning around the culture of the club — now he just wants the Hayne Plane to re-sign.

Mannah said Hayne has been vital in building players’ confidence as the blue and golds look to overcome a horror season.

Hayne’s influence isn’t showing on the scoreboard or ladder, but his Eels teammates are benefiting big time.

The former San Francisco 49er is off-contract and has already stated he won’t make a call on his future until the end of the year. Despite this, Mannah is hopeful Hayne will remain at Parramatta.

“We are a better team with Jarryd in there, so I’d love to see him stay,” Mannah told The Daily Telegraph.

“I’ve noticed a real shift in the last couple of weeks and I think Jarryd has been a real catalyst for that.

“He has been really focused and he has lifted everyone around him. It’s a decision Jarryd has to make, as well as the club.

“For me personally, I’ve always been a big supporter of having him in the team. I think he is the kind of player that can be really influential to the players around him.”

Hayne has been restricted to seven games this season due to a host of injuries, including a hip.

As a result, the ex-Blues and Kangaroos star hasn’t been able to perform to his proven potential.

Mannah believes the critics need to take injury into consideration when judging Hayne.

“Everyone has been pretty tough on him, but he hasn’t really had a chance to string too many games in a row,” he said.

“But now he is doing that, everyone is seeing the class come out again and the player and leader he is.

“I think he is a vital member of our team and I’m a big fan of having him in the squad.”

Mannah is also determined to enjoy his final years in a Parramatta jersey, starting with Friday’s clash against the Knights in Newcastle.

The affable prop is off-contract at the end of 2019.

“I definitely want to make the most of the time at the club,” he said.

“I’ve had a different role coming off the bench and I’ve just been enjoying my footy.

“It sounds funny because we are not winning, but from a personal point of view I’ve been happy.

“I just want to keep improving and the buzz to pull on the jersey each week is there.

“If we can finish these last eight games well then it will say a lot about our group.

“We are all pretty fresh, physically and mentally, and we want to make sure we finish the back end of the season on a strong note.”

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Obviously not all players are ready for the NRL at 21 (the year after graduating from flegg), but I reckon if you are not ready for NSW cup at 21 you aren’t going to be good enough to make the NRL.

There's a whole bunch of reasons why a player wouldn't be ready for NSW cup at 21. A quick example may be happening next year with us in Steve Dresler or Michael Tupou. Both were injured for an entire season last year and both are turning 20 this year. I believe that both could play ISP next year but that option of an extra year or 2 playing in an age-restricted competition and allowing the club to not have to put them in a D6 or T30 contract would benefit them massively. They may only need an extra 3 months in Flegg but with the restriction being at 20 they aren't afforded that luxury because they were unfortunately had a whole season injury.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think there's far too much focus on "making it" by such a young age too...it's almost at the stage where if a kid hasn't become a first grader by 21 or 22 they're basically scrapped. That feeds into the pressure. Most kids at 18 have absolutely no idea what they want to do with their lives.

Honestly I think that the progression should be slower than it is
The problem is that young dudes, especially the kind that play rugby league, want to be earning money straight out of high school, so they can f**k all the bitches or whatever. I remember in high school chicks didn't care if you were broke, but within six months of graduation it was a massive factor for nearly all of them.

It's a fact that having a full time job seriously eats into your ability to train enough to reach the physical level of the professionals. Those merkins are able to train full time and also get enough rest to benefit from it. Anyone not training full time will struggle to catch up. I believe this is the thinking behind the NRL development list: these blokes are understood to be ineligible for first grade except when there's an emergency, but are still expected to train full time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Increasing the Flegg age from 20's to 22's or 23's would keep a few of the players "in the system" a bit longer. Obviously the better players would still end up playing reserve grade.
I don't think giving them their own age-restricted grade to play in will do much. The problem is remuneration - how many of these young adults not yet good enough to be professional footballers in the NRL should be paid a living salary just to train until they are good enough? As fans it's easy for us to say a dozen or more per club, but that is a significant labour cost for the clubs (or the NRL) and it has to come from somewhere else. The merkins probably most against it would be the highest paid players in the game, who will see it as coming out of their pockets. They know they are responsible for the lion's share of revenue generated by the game. They want their piece of the pie. They would be understandably reluctant to subsidise too many blokes most fans have never even heard of.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There's a whole bunch of reasons why a player wouldn't be ready for NSW cup at 21. A quick example may be happening next year with us in Steve Dresler or Michael Tupou. Both were injured for an entire season last year and both are turning 20 this year. I believe that both could play ISP next year but that option of an extra year or 2 playing in an age-restricted competition and allowing the club to not have to put them in a D6 or T30 contract would benefit them massively. They may only need an extra 3 months in Flegg but with the restriction being at 20 they aren't afforded that luxury because they were unfortunately had a whole season injury.

That wouId be a good example of why a 40 men squad wouId work. You could offer them contracts and there is no immediate pressure to “push” them.

Latest posts