What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mannering to retire at seasons end.

Big Marn

Juniors
Thought i would repost this exerpt from 20115. Full article in the link (long read)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11455578

After 200 games with the All Blacks and another 10 years with the Warriors, Mayhew has seen his share of tough guys and he says they don't come any tougher than Simon Mannering. Not even legendary All Blacks hard man Buck Shelford.

His first inkling came in 2007, when the then 19-year-old Mannering was pulled from his sick bed to make up the numbers against St George. He had been struggling with a gastric virus all week, losing 5kg in the process, but it was a case of needs-must and after being checked out he was declared medically safe to play. The plan had been to coax him through to halftime, then Jerome Ropati was injured and Mannering's planned replacement went on early. No one would have suspected a drama was brewing in the coaches' box, though, as the teenaged centre ran in two tries and smashed into every tackle with venom.

But he was a grey ruin when the half-time hooter sounded. "He was only running on three cylinders so he was stuffed and looked terrible," says Mayhew. "I took a look at him then I was about to move on when he said, 'Oh, and my hand's a bit sore', just as casual as you like. I had a look and he'd broken it. We taped it up and sent him out again. He just shrugged it off. Remarkable."

Just as remarkably, he was named man of the match in the 44-16 win and ended up back in bed before the first celebratory beer was cracked. The story has been kept under wraps until now.

"We all knew he'd been sick as a dog," says Micheal Luck, one of his team mates that day, "but his threshhold for pain is unbelievable. I look at the guys the same age here at the [North Queensland] Cowboys and there's no way any of them could do what he did that day."

Says Mayhew: "I've seen guys play with broken bones and others get pulled out of sick beds, but never both at once and he's the kind of guy who doesn't think anything of it. He's up there with Buck [Shelford], one of those unflappable, undemonstrative men without the bravado who don't need to throw their fists to show how hard they are. If I was asked to choose a league team he'd be the first name I'd write down."

One Warrior

Bench
Simon Mannering, a deadset legend, without him the club may well of had a couple of wooden spoons over the last few years, fittingly he should join the 300 club with the last game of the regular season. He deserves the chance to play finals football again and just maybe the team can lift to send him out in the most fitting manner.

Reactions: JJ

typicalfan

Coach
Similar sentiments to Luke Lewis. You just can’t hate the guy. The difference between his best and worst games is about 5%. The game will be poorer for his absence

Dav0c

Juniors
Mannering is several years younger than other elite players who have retired in recent years. He's 3 years younger than Smith/Slater/Cronk, he's 3 years younger than Luke Lewis who has had a similar career trajectory and debuted 4 years before Mannering did. He's a couple of years younger than Corey Parker was.

Winning is easier than losing.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
A little sad but not surprised at this news. My hunch is that his decision is mainly personal but has probably been influenced by a number of factors- if he was already thinking about retiring the fact that he can hopefully do after his 300th game and in a good season for the club probably feels fitting, especially if he’s also sorting out a salary cap headache in the process.

Leber

Bench
This saddens me. Agewise, he still has at least 2 more years in him. he hasn't had a lot of injuries over the years either. Maybe the boy is catching up with him now.

At least this means we get to keep Luke. Hopefully these a couple of dollars left to buy a rookie/cheap second rower because he are thin in that position now.

morningstar

Juniors
End of an era. Truly has been the ultimate Warrior. Hard to imagine the Warriors & Kiwis without him.

First time I saw him in the flesh he was playing centre for Wellington against Canterbury in the Bartercard Cup. Was impressed straight away. Off a scrum play 30m out he managed to get in between the Canterbury centre and winger and pop an offload to his winger who scored untouched in the corner....a couple of weeks later in the 10 year anniversary game against the Broncs he did a carbon copy of the same play with his first touch on debut.

Hoped he would go around again for atleast one more year, but when you read articles like the above and his willingness to play through pain. You have to wonder what state his body is in after 293 games.

Best one on one tackler I have ever seen, legendary toughness & endurance and a very underrated attacking game.

Hope the other 16 useless pricks can send him out on a high ;)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Look, I'm emotional, I haven't slept...I'll get round to summing up my thoughts about the great Mann when I pull myself together again. This is all, like MV, too hard for me to take in.

Nah, it's the right call. He says training sucks now, he's really not enjoying it like he used to and he's thrown his body through so much incredible toil in 294 games plus Kiwis etc that it can't take much else. He's shown signs this year that he's struggling to get up week to week, the same iron man we used to get every week isn't always there - although he was immense again v Brisbane. There's no real comparison to others who might've gone on longer, this guy had to carry a club on his shoulders through so much shit and has played through pain in all sorts of senses. Justice says he'll get to 300 and go out in a finals game which is the minimum of what he deserves.

He's not only my favourite Warrior (and to me is head and shoulders the greatest of all time but it is subjective) but my favourite sports person of all time. Lucky enough to have talked to him etc through my work in the media and he was 100% genuine and a good bloke every single time.

Shit I'm going to miss him in a Warriors jumper. Absolute legend.

Meth

Staff member
Before this year, I hardly considered that Mannering would retire. 31 is a young- I would have thought 2-3 more years.

Anyhow, there’s more to life than Rugby League and better to go out on top. The way that he’s been talked about recently (when his form was down) was not befitting him as a player and I would have hated to see that prolonged. He is the greatest Warrior of all time.

spear tackle

Juniors
It'll be odd to see the Warriors play without him in the side, I do remember him saying in an interview a few years ago that he didn't want to continue much past 30 and he had other plans.
I just hope he leaves a bit of his attitude in the locker room for others to find.

Iron Lion

Juniors
@Iron Lion any thoughts on your 'brother' Simon Mannering leaving?

hmmmm you want to fire this place up on a monday morning by having an early week Iron Lion witch hunt?

I will say this about Mannering.

Positives

Greatest work ethic and biggest heart to ever play for the warriors. Gave his blood and played above and beyond the physical pain threshold. Probably the best ever defensive player to lace up the boots at the warriors. Seemed a genuine nice guy.

Negatives

Was let down by coaches who refused to push him or develop his attacking skill set to a level where he was contributing to the team on attack in any positive way. Created a horrible unbalance in the team on offense due to his non existential attacking ability. Often and still to this day (Except last week) to pass the ball to Mannering ment the play died as well and was virtually almost always a momentum killer.

Will go down as a warriors great due to the above said physical and defensive assets but at any other club he was I believe a standard NRL player. Played in an era in the NRL where the warriors were so bog shit ordinary that being a good defender made you a champion of the people and sold weekly tickets.

Congrats to Simon Mannering on his career. I blame the coaches and not him.

JJ

Immortal
h

Negatives

Was let down by coaches who refused to push him or develop his attacking skill set to a level where he was contributing to the team on attack in any positive way. Created a horrible unbalance in the team on offense due to his non existential attacking ability. Often and still to this day (Except last week) to pass the ball to Mannering ment the play died as well and was virtually almost always a momentum killer.

Will go down as a warriors great due to the above said physical and defensive assets but at any other club he was I believe a standard NRL player. Played in an era in the NRL where the warriors were so bog shit ordinary that being a good defender made you a champion of the people and sold weekly tickets.

Congrats to Simon Mannering on his career. I blame the coaches and not him.

Calling bullshit on this - yes we've had a long series of geniused coaches, but he is and has always been much more than a capable defender

That said, I wouldn't put him in the category of truly great second rowers - but his longevity, toughness, and all-round contribution to the Warriors still means he's #1 on my list - and he's in the back row with Ali in my best ever Warriors team, and is selected ahead of Ali for those reasons

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’m not sure if the general abscence of attacking game on Simons part for much of his career is as much he fault of the coaches as of the players around him not shouldering enough defensive and middle workload themselves- which speaks volumes for Simon that he just got on with the job and did it for the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
I’m not sure if the general abscess ce of attackin*game on Simons part for much of his career is as much he fault of the coaches as of the players around him no tshouldering enough defensive and middle workload themselves- which speaks volumes for Simon that he just got on with the job and did it for the team.

Luck had no real attacking game and he's always one of our legends.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I just felt like Mannering had some attacking assets (physical strength, good speed for a backrower) but was weak in others (ball playing generally- he wasn't terrible but he's never been an intuitive ball player).

I can think of heaps of elite forwards whose main attributes are/were work rate, physical strength and speed so I don't see why not being a perfect player would hold Mannering back from that status.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Calling bullshit on this - yes we've had a long series of geniused coaches, but he is and has always been much more than a capable defender

That said, I wouldn't put him in the category of truly great second rowers - but his longevity, toughness, and all-round contribution to the Warriors still means he's #1 on my list - and he's in the back row with Ali in my best ever Warriors team, and is selected ahead of Ali for those reasons

Ali is easily our greatest 2nd rower in my books. He alone could win you games and he did countless times in the golden Daniel Anderson era. Another extremely talented back rower was Sione Faumunia. Stacey Jones made pay day with those two guys in the backrow. Logan Swann is another big body who created 2nd phase play.

Awen Gutenbeil vs Simon Mannering - who is the more rounded player offering more to the side?